Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Mainline campaign sprites and animations needed

Post by zookeeper »

Sorry for the late reply again, but I do quite prefer the Ranger's previous version. This guy is massively wider, and I don't really see why. His silhouette is... well, massive, and the body size probably bigger than for example any loyalist unit except maybe the Iron Mauler.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

No problem. You're right, the cloak was too bulky. The original fellow seemed pretty chunky too, but this was supposed to be an improvement, so that's no excuse. A proper attempt would be a complete redraw anyway.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I think the current one is very good anyway, so I don't see it as much of a priority. The only major spriting problem is the Scout line if/when they're supposed to actually ride these things instead of horses, but I don't know if you're interested in trying to sprite that. If you or anyone else is, then just having a riderless version of the animal would be a wonderful starting point.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Is one of these on the right track? (The rider is a placeholder. Actually, most everything but the animal heads is.)
Attachments
camboks.png
camboks.png (12.85 KiB) Viewed 9670 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

8) :D I would say that is on the right track, It looks great!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks, The_Gnat. No one can accuse you of being a Christmas Grinch, that's for sure.

I'm loosely basing these sprites on this post: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=43175&start=60#p593827
and what I read in the unit.cfg. The rider branch is in the middle, the archer branch is barely started, at the bottom row.
Attachments
camboks.png
camboks.png (26.57 KiB) Viewed 9634 times
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Looks really great! Some minor observations from a worse pixel artist:
  • The headgear/head of the L1 rider looks bigger than the headgear/head of the L2 rider. Because the head of a unit is so dominant, it is hard to see that the L1 rider is indeed just L1 and the L2 is just the L2 unit. Maybe increasing the headsize or headgear by a pixelrow would fix that?
  • The head of the L3 antelope looks too bulky, imo. I think that's due to the broad dark outlines of the horns?
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

I have no helpful advice but i can tell you the lvl 3 rider branch looks awesome! :D (also i like the archer, even WIP ;) )
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

Is the (animal) body still placeholder? 'Cause I think the legs look weird. The hind legs too closer together than the forelegs should be more parallel.
Also -just a personal preference- I think there are too many shades of brown for the fur (10, whereas the horse has only 6)

Otherwise it looks amazing. I especially dig the first, more slender, head you drew.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

I feel like maybe the horns could be a touch longer, but it looks pretty good!
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks, guys. I agree, the some of the heads were too big, especially that L3 animal head. I've made some changes that I hope distinguish the units more. There are still some pixels to clean up, but I think these are the designs now. I think the horns shouldn't be too big, since the unit doesn't have a horn attack.
Attachments
camboks.png
camboks.png (31.73 KiB) Viewed 9517 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Are you sure the perspective isn't too horizontal? Not that I've checked how they look on the map next to other units, but the camera does seem to be unusually low. Other than that they look good, although I'd make the horns way taller overall.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Nice :) The only thing i would say is that the mounted archer lvl 2 has a smaller looking animal then his previous lvl 1 version, is this intentional?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

zookeeper wrote:Are you sure the perspective isn't too horizontal?
I think they look OK. I was trying to give the antelope/camel things a different shape than the horses. I made the horns a little taller, but like I said earlier, don't want them to be too big.

(BTW, the Tauroch units are almost glowing, they need more dark shadows/outlines.)
The_Gnat wrote:Nice :) The only thing i would say is that the mounted archer lvl 2 has a smaller looking animal then his previous lvl 1 version, is this intentional?
It is supposed to look more slender, but not smaller.

I made a pull request for further work: https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/pull/2319
Attachments
Screenshot_008.png
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

doofus-01 wrote:
zookeeper wrote:Are you sure the perspective isn't too horizontal?
I think they look OK. I was trying to give the antelope/camel things a different shape than the horses. I made the horns a little taller, but like I said earlier, don't want them to be too big.
All right.

Looking at the screenshot, I think maybe the archers should have slightly smaller/shorter arms; mostly simply for the fact that currently the arm and bow cover up the leg almost entirely, which sort of makes it harder to read that the rider has legs at all. For reference, any of the core mounted units have tiny arms in comparison.
doofus-01 wrote:(BTW, the Tauroch units are almost glowing, they need more dark shadows/outlines.)
Yeah, agreed.