Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Mainline campaign sprites and animations needed

Post by doofus-01 »

OK.
Jetrel wrote:When I do the next edit, I'll play with the pose a bit. Your proposed one for the first level is a good idea, though I might apply it to the L2 (due to the whole experience = confident, relaxed pose trope we often use). For both of these, we likely want a "en guarde" frame with the weapon active, more or less exactly as held now (which will be used as the endcap of the combat animation), and then a "relaxed" frame that gets used as the usual standing frame.
With that in mind, and to get the base frames squared away, I've got this proposal (sprites on the right - left side are Jetrel's version).
- I've applied the "confident" pose to the higher level. An "en guarde" frame would be like the one on the left.
- I tried to make her a little more "hard"; it fits with the portrait and what I can remember of the story. I lost the clean, fluffy hair and the "bambi" look (which I know were intentional, I don't claim to have "fixed" anything).
- I did try to keep the shoulder/hip thing in mind, but her (armored) shoulders got a bit broader. I don't think it's too bad though.
lisar-blah.png
lisar-blah.png (7.35 KiB) Viewed 5164 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

yeah, the new ones by you look freaking badass :) exactly as i would portray the new lisar
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Ah, right. There was something wrong with the new li'sar sprite which i couldnt put my finger on what precisely it was, you've gone ahead and 'fixed' it.
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

Is that a ribbon in her hair on the top-right sprite?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks.

Since there were no objections, I went with some defense/dodge animations for the higher level. Not sure they don't need some work still, but the bigger issue is lack of attack animation, so that's next. This is the WML I put in the unit file for the attached images.
wml

Code: Select all

image="units/human-battleprincess-resting.png"
    [standing_anim] 
        start_time=0
        [filter]
            [filter_adjacent] 
                is_enemy=yes  
            [/filter_adjacent]
        [/filter]
        [frame]
            image=units/human-battleprincess.png:150
        [/frame]
    [/standing_anim]
    [standing_anim] 
        start_time=0
        [filter] 
            [not]
            [filter_adjacent] 
                is_enemy=yes  
            [/filter_adjacent]
            [/not]
        [/filter]
        [frame]
            image=units/human-battleprincess-resting.png:150
        [/frame]
    [/standing_anim]
    [defend]
        start_time=-126
        [if]
            hits=no
            [frame]
                image=units/human-battleprincess-dodge-1.png:1,units/human-battleprincess-dodge-2.png:250,units/human-battleprincess-dodge-1.png:1
            [/frame]
        [/if] 
        [else]
            hits=yes
            [frame] 
                image=units/human-battleprincess-defend-1.png:1,units/human-battleprincess-defend-2.png:250,units/human-battleprincess-defend-1.png:1
            [/frame]
            hit_sound_start_time=-25
            [hit_sound_frame]
                sound={SOUND_LIST:HUMAN_FEMALE_HIT}
            [/hit_sound_frame]
        [/else]
    [/defend]
I'm not doing a PR for this for now because the BfW version I sync'd with yesterday is pretty broken and unusable. I'll try again some other day.
Attachments
units.tar.gz
(16.87 KiB) Downloaded 446 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Just committed those. Thanks :D
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Here are the sprites with an attack animation for battleprincess. It could probably use another "retreat" frame, and one could probably find other things to improve, but I don't think it looks that bad.
EDIT: Turns out I had time to work on this some more, added one more frame (and updated the animation WML below). Also, added leading animation, to be used with the macro already used in the unit file (add the "-leading-2/1" part to the image names).

To use the attack frames, just change the placeholder attack animation to:
attack animation WML

Code: Select all

[attack_anim]  
        [filter_attack]
            range=melee
        [/filter_attack]

start_time=-550
        offset=0~-0.1:130,-0.1~0:120,0~0.6:300,0.60~0.0:300                                   

[frame]
            image="units/human-battleprincess-attack-[1~8].png:[100,100,100,100,100,100,90,80,80]"
        [/frame]  

{SOUND:HIT_AND_MISS {SOUND_LIST:SWORD_SWISH} {SOUND_LIST:MISS} -100}
    [/attack_anim]

Attachments
battle-princess.tar.gz
(47.25 KiB) Downloaded 447 times
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Pushed the attack animation :D

EDIT: and the updated ones
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks, vultraz. I'll try to get some animations for the lower level princess, not sure of the time-line though...

On a somewhat related note: Ashevier's sprite is showing its age. She's the villain of the flagship campaign, and she has a portrait from LB, shouldn't we do something?

Here's my proposal:
Attachments
human-queen.png
human-queen.png (2.58 KiB) Viewed 4833 times
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

It's good, but I feel it could use some work. The headdress in particular feels pillow-shaded, and the staff arm is rather rigid. Overall, though, it's a good concept.
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

The old sprite's quality seems perfectly good to me, the main issue seems to be that she doesn't have the headdress, maybe her legs shouldn't show quite that much and the pose is dull. She is the archvillain and a queen, so I'd very much like to see the pose completely redone. There's a huge amount of possible visually interesting poses for a character like that, and while of course some of the subtleties (like exact orientation of neck, head, pelvis, etc) are hard to do in the about 40x60 pixels max you have to work with, I think for example Wayfarer's sprites are a good example that it is very much possible.

Also while the old sprite's dress opening is maybe excessive for a queen, it does avoid the dress being a shapeless umbrella and it also has a much more flowy dramatic feel to it, making the sprite more visually interesting.
Attachments
Some ideas
Some ideas
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

zookeeper wrote:The old sprite's quality seems perfectly good to me, the main issue seems to be that she doesn't have the headdress, maybe her legs shouldn't show quite that much and the pose is dull. She is the archvillain and a queen, so I'd very much like to see the pose completely redone.
This clearly has some way to go, but I wanted to see if the pose was OK? Also, could her sceptre be a wand rather than a staff? Her portrait has a wand.
Attachments
human-queen.png
human-queen.png (2.72 KiB) Viewed 4726 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I think that's already tons better. I'd suggest moving her feet together, though, since a wide stance is quite distinctly more martial than regal. If you think narrower legs and dress would make the silhouette too slender, maybe she could hold out the hem (?) of the cloak/cape or something. Standing straight with legs together would probably mean she'd have to gain a few pixels in height too, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Quick franken to try to show what I meant, using the old one's legs for purposes of anatomy.

P.S. And yes, she can have a shorter wand as in the portrait. Still something that doesn't look like a toy, but it doesn't have to be a full-length staff like now.
Attachments
human-queen-posture-franken.png
human-queen-posture-franken.png (2.66 KiB) Viewed 4702 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

zookeeper wrote: I'd suggest moving her feet together, though, since a wide stance is quite distinctly more martial than regal. If you think narrower legs and dress would make the silhouette too slender, maybe she could hold out the hem (?) of the cloak/cape or something. Standing straight with legs together would probably mean she'd have to gain a few pixels in height too, but that shouldn't be a problem.
I think I see what you mean, so I've moved her feet a little closer together, but if she's an aggressive warmonger and is on the battlefield, I'd think some militancy is required. Unless we are trying to emphasize regal aloofness and decadence, but I don't recall those being among her flaws.

This isn't my final attempt, but if the design is OK, we aren't that many pixels away.
Attachments
human-queen.png
human-queen.png (2.84 KiB) Viewed 4671 times
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Ah, I like :D Certainly more dynamic than before.
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!