Mainline campaign sprites and animations needed

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Chief_Chasso

Re: Mainline campaign sprites and animations needed

Post by Chief_Chasso »

Hi, I thought I might try to help out with the Orcish Shaman animations. In the course of my research, I think I found a bug. The "curse" attack animation for the Orcish and Old Shamans uses the "Novice" Shaman base frame for the attack, causing the base frame to change when using the curse attack.

From Orcish Shaman cfg, under curse attack:
[frame]
image="units/novice-orcish-shaman.png:550"
[/frame]

From Old Orcish Shaman cfg, under curse attack:
[frame]
image="units/novice-orcish-shaman.png:550"
[/frame]

Of course, this should be changed to each respective base frame image. I'm referencing BFW 1.12.5.
SP Campaign: Rally For Roanic
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Chief_Chasso wrote:Hi, I thought I might try to help out with the Orcish Shaman animations. In the course of my research, I think I found a bug. The "curse" attack animation for the Orcish and Old Shamans uses the "Novice" Shaman base frame for the attack, causing the base frame to change when using the curse attack.
Yeah, that's true. It's actually already been fixed, since someone else actually pointed that out to me just a few days ago. :eng:

On a related note, there's now basic defend and magic animations for the shamans too.
Chief_Chasso

Post by Chief_Chasso »

zookeeper wrote:On a related note, there's now basic defend and magic animations for the shamans too.
Okay, cool. Looks like they're pretty much set then. Thanks zookeeper.
SP Campaign: Rally For Roanic
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

zookeeper wrote: Under the Burning Suns (elves excluded; they're being worked on): Needs better sprites for Human Commander, Crab Man, Dawarf, and Dread Lich.
How much crab versus man does it need? Would this work?
Attachments
crab.png
crab.png (4.81 KiB) Viewed 5436 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Nice crab! There's no man there, but we could change it to giant crab, and that would work--though a looks like a level-2 monster at least, and I think the crab men are level-1.

If we still want a crab man, I think it would be better as something with two distinct halves instead being a generic monster (like the current sprite): Perhaps a human with giant pincers each about the same size as his body. He might benefit from a head like the swimming corpse though.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

doofus-01 wrote:How much crab versus man does it need? Would this work?
Looking at both of their brief appearances, I don't think there's any particular need for them to be half man.
Gyra_Solune

Post by Gyra_Solune »

beetlenaut wrote:Nice crab! There's no man there, but we could change it to giant crab, and that would work--though a looks like a level-2 monster at least, and I think the crab men are level-1.

If we still want a crab man, I think it would be better as something with two distinct halves instead being a generic monster (like the current sprite): Perhaps a human with giant pincers each about the same size as his body. He might benefit from a head like the swimming corpse though.
I kind of like the idea of random level 1 monsters looking a bit tougher than they really are, especially in UtBS in a world where everything has to be bigger and meaner to survive. The Giant Scorpion sets a decent precedent for it in a way. And yeah I think it would be fine if the sort of weird mutant angle was dropped, the idea of mages making chimeras out of people strikes me as a little out of place.

Might need to play through the campaign to get an idea of how their appearance portrays them but I sort of like the crab fairly well. Could use maybe just a bit more texturing? Looks oddly matte and smooth where sprites tend to be on the sharper and more defined side (again mostly using things like the scorpion as reference), but I'm unsure. I like its overall stance and design though, like an ordinary crab decided to stand up to go into assault mode or something ^^
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

beetlenaut wrote:we could change it to giant crab, and that would work
zookeeper wrote: I don't think there's any particular need for them to be half man.
IMO: if it's also possible to change, how about replacing Darawf unit to a something different kind of monsters from the current one to make it easier to draw for the drawer? I think it might be hard to find out what it is...
The unit description:
"Don’t ask where the Dawarf came from. You really don’t want to know. It is a secret well guarded by the great lore-masters of Wesnoth. And it’s isn’t pretty. Hint: it involves lots of sherbet."
Does it have to have two heads, and one of them is a dwarf-head?
If it doesn't have to, also (as another idea): - there is recently a lot of kind of monsters on add-ons, so one of them might be able to qualify (maybe, with slight touches) to replace it.

A happy new year
best regard
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I trimmed the crab down a bit, to make it look more level 1. If this looks close enough, I can make some animation frames.
crab2a.png
crab2a.png (2.32 KiB) Viewed 5182 times
crab_shot.png
crab_shot.png (181.55 KiB) Viewed 5182 times
SkyOne wrote:IMO: if it's also possible to change, how about replacing Darawf unit to a something different kind of monsters from the current one to make it easier to draw for the drawer? I think it might be hard to find out what it is...
The unit description: ...
That does seems kind of silly, doesn't it. Below is the sum total of the Dawarf appearance, I believe. It doesn't look vital, I would guess it could be replaced, if it were my call.

Code: Select all

{NAMED_NOTRAIT_UNIT 3 (Dawarf) 14 15 (Purple Abomination) ( _ "Purple Abomination")}

[message]
                        speaker=Purple Abomination
                        message= _ "I am an abomination, please kill me."
                    [/message]

[message]
                        speaker=unit
                        message= _ "I’ve seen some ugly creatures in my day, but that thing is just wrong."
                    [/message]

[message]
                        speaker=Purple Abomination
                        message= _ "The voices say I have no choice, I must attack!"
                    [/message]

[event]
                        id=find_dagger
                        remove=true   
                    [/event]
                [/command]  
            [/option]
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Gyra_Solune

Post by Gyra_Solune »

Yeah the Dawarf unit is really...weird and out of place all things considered. It sounds like it could just be excised altogether.

Crab is looking pretty good!
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

doofus-01 wrote:I trimmed the crab down a bit, to make it look more level 1. If this looks close enough, I can make some animation frames.
Yeah, that looks good to me. The current Crab Man animations are so basic that replacing it with this one even unanimated would be just fine, but if you're going to do some animations too, I'll wait.

As for the Dawarf, it's just an arbitrary easter egg joke unit, so it doesn't really need to stay as it is. I don't really see a point in turning it into just another generic monster type though, but if someone could come up with something funnier yet slightly less outrageous and random than a winged demon with a second dwarf head... :whistle:
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Gyra_Solune wrote:something funnier yet slightly less outrageous and random
Instead of a pool with a skeleton, we could stumble onto a mini-workshop where an orc is turning himself into a "cave orc," so that orcs can rule the caves. Since orcs are already in the caves, he's obviously an idiot and the unit who kills him should say so.

Also, what's with a sword that changes your attacks to cold damage? The unit isn't improved at all, and actually gets less useful in dealing with the undead or aliens. That's just annoying, especially since the player might keep recalling it expecting it to be helpful eventually. Now if it could do cold or fire damage, that would be something, and if the fire guardians and/or Ixthal deamons were sensitive to cold, that would actually make it useful to have.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Gyra_Solune

Post by Gyra_Solune »

Instead of a pool with a skeleton, we could stumble onto a mini-workshop where an orc is turning himself into a "cave orc," so that orcs can rule the caves. Since orcs are already in the caves, he's obviously an idiot and the unit who kills him should say so.
Ahahaha, I like that a bit better. Bonus points if it's in the style of the older orcs that look more like the goblins of today, heh.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

zookeeper wrote:Yeah, that looks good to me. The current Crab Man animations are so basic that replacing it with this one even unanimated would be just fine, but if you're going to do some animations too, I'll wait.
Here are some basic images, and a suggested unit file (slightly changed name, description, attack icon, and animation).
Attachments
crab.tgz
(15.36 KiB) Downloaded 524 times
william150

Post by william150 »

i just stumbled upon this dawarf made by Neoriceisgood, so just in case: