Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Re: Mainline campaign sprites and animations needed

Post by Astoria »

So having an old woman as an antagonist encourages violence against old people? That's a new one.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Sudipta wrote: What?? No one wants to kill her because she's old. They want to kill her because she is an evil, treacherous, lying [censored] who plotted her husband's death and threw the realm in chaos. And how does the game teach you to hate old women? I'm confused now.......
Well, actually the player have not much against Asheviere in the campaign. He is chased by Li'sar most of the time, yet Lisar is forgiven. Why was so important to kill Asheviere then? She is not so dangerous like some Mal-Ravanal, she is helpless without her servants (look on Asheviere's defeated portrait). Yet her own daughter kills her (as an option).
bumbadadabum wrote:So having an old woman as an antagonist encourages violence against old people? That's a new one.
I never said that. But in my mentality one should be careful when working with characters of old people. Same about little children. Unfortunatelly, the image of evil child is not something rare too in the modern culture.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
Chewan

Post by Chewan »

Asheviere's aging problems... interesting subject :D
the game teaches to hate old woman and to kill her … them?
Specifically related to Asheviere? Or in general, meaning old (human) women in BfW are usually
hags, witches, demonesses, malicious crones, ugly spinsters... evil queens?
… and DO facilitate violence (encouraged by the objectives) ?
(Asheviere) is chased by Li'sar most of the time, yet Lisar is forgiven
Lisar is forgiven matricide, because she is a heroic character (just as any hero's mass murders are alright),
not due to her bloom of youth.

I find Aldarisvet's point of view interesting, comprehensible, mature...
Say, do you suffer emotional conflicts when killing truly age-old elfish beauties?

I also find Asheviere's new sprite better.
As wicked and mad as she may be, a queen wouldn't pose as a midnight beauty,
less/not even in the heat of the battle.
Maybe she would not even expose her shoes? (in those days, that is...)
Probably a trick to make her legs appear less short...
Wearing her belt just a touch higher might have the same effect.
Aldarisvet
Translator

Post by Aldarisvet »

Obviously there are differencies between cultures. Possibly in western countries an old woman dressed like Asheviere is a common character. But not in my mentality, for me this is an insult of old age. And killing of old women is out of my mentality. That was my natural reaction. Well, the mother of my wife find disgusting even the fact that someone can play a game on the side of zombies. So, never mind.
facebook.com/wesnothian/ - everyday something new about Wesnoth
My campaign:A Whim of Fate, also see it's prequel Zombies:Introduction
Art thread:Mostly frankenstains
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I've got defense and leading animations for the regular princess, though no attack yet. They should be compatible with the two macros already used, just add the -leading-2/1.png or -defend-2/1.png parts to the file-names.
I still need to do an attack animation.
human-princess.tar.gz
(13.54 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
Jetrel wrote:I talked with zookeeper about how I really, really don't like the "dual-wielding" thing we currently have kludged in for the sceptre. He argued that we ought to visibly display the sceptre because it's so central to the campaign, so what I decided would be a better idea is that we always show only one weapon, and when the character gets the sceptre, it replaces the sword as their primary weapon, and is held in the same pose/position as the sword was.

We then hammerspace the sword in the same way all other wesnothian dual-wielders do.
Is this still true, or would it be enough to just have a sceptre attack animation?
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

doofus-01 wrote:Is this still true, or would it be enough to just have a sceptre attack animation?
Yes, I think that plan still holds.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

As discussed in PR#788 (https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/pull/788), the Sea Orc could use a portrait because it has a few lines of dialogue, but it's a really minor character. Since I hate frankenportraits, I came up with this quick & rough thing, based off of one of the goblin portraits (since the unit is described as a goblin, even though it's an orc?). Is it worth trying to clean this up?
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

This is a fine drawing, but it's too serious, and this character is there for comedy relief. I think his sword should be quite a bit shorter to look less effective. He also needs a goofy (or doofy?) face. If you bring the headband up a bit, you can give him bug eyes, and the mouth could sport some buck teeth.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

beetlenaut wrote:This is a fine drawing, but it's too serious, and this character is there for comedy relief. I think his sword should be quite a bit shorter to look less effective. He also needs a goofy (or doofy?) face. If you bring the headband up a bit, you can give him bug eyes, and the mouth could sport some buck teeth.
That's a good point. I've made a few changes, I think he looks a bit too much like a leprechaun, but it's a start.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I can understand the hatred of frankenportraits in general, but in this case there needs to be two portraits that are clearly the same character; he shouldn't switch from some generic orc portrait to a completely different-looking one line this. So, I think either we use a core portrait for his first form and make an edit of that for his second form, or we you make a new portrait with two variations (casual orcish in the first, sea-going in the second). I suggested the former mainly because it seems so much easier to do, but of course the latter is fine too. This one seems to be off to a good start.
Gyra_Solune

Post by Gyra_Solune »

Honestly I'm of the opinion we ought to do away with the Sea Orc entirely! it's not even clear what exactly it is since it's described as a goblin but seems to just be one of the smaller orcs? but I mean, it's literally just there for a one-off joke and honestly it isn't really a particularly great one, it's basically just 'orcs sure are silly and full of themselves'! Given the sort of drier motif the game has I think comedy relief needs to be really sparing and subtly done - Rise of Wesnoth had a few decent amusing lines in their context and Malin Keshar's exposition of the point where his life begin spiraling downwards elicited a bit of a laugh.

I like the first one better though, second's a little off-putting, to me.
Last edited by Gyra_Solune on September 20th, 2016, 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

beetlenaut wrote:This is a fine drawing, but it's too serious, and this character is there for comedy relief. I think his sword should be quite a bit shorter to look less effective. He also needs a goofy (or doofy?) face. If you bring the headband up a bit, you can give him bug eyes, and the mouth could sport some buck teeth.
I always thought the main punch line of the joke was showing the image with what appears to be a swimsuit and flippers on his feet? If the portrait doesn't have those, I don't think the joke will make much sense any more...
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

hi, so, i seen wose shaman animations in some UMC addons like War of Legends. btw, i like the new Sea Orc, looks much more fit for UMC than the old one (i alredy added you version to my era :) )
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Found these in an thread on this forum, they are attack and defense frames for the lvl1 arif, after some simple edits and trying out ingame found them to look satisfactory, perhaps could include. (still better than nothing)

edit: didnt know you need the wose shaman, had that used in my addons and here it is also.

edit2: continue on that second sea goblin portrait if you'd like, im using an sea goblin unit in an goblin tribes faction.
Attachments
wose-shaman.zip
(76.55 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
saracen-footman.zip
(24.58 KiB) Downloaded 322 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

gnombat wrote:I always thought the main punch line of the joke was showing the image with what appears to be a swimsuit and flippers on his feet? If the portrait doesn't have those, I don't think the joke will make much sense any more...
It never made much sense anyway. (I didn't realize it was a swimsuit, I just thought it was was vaguely pirate-y shirt to go with his pirate-y sword.)
Gyra_Solune wrote:Honestly I'm of the opinion we ought to do away with the Sea Orc entirely!
I'm not! For the obvious reason, but also some color is not a bad thing. The dialogue just needs revision, it wouldn't be that hard to make it less cheesy. AI could probably be changed too.
zookeeper wrote:make a new portrait with two variations (casual orcish in the first, sea-going in the second)
As long as these don't have to approach Lordbob-quality, I don't mind making an archer version too.
And just for comic relief, I'll post the tiny little bit of progress I made on sea-going version.