Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Mainline campaign sprites and animations needed

Post by doofus-01 »

These are the two Bugg portraits. If they look more or less OK, I can clean up some details, like the archer's hand and that fluff near his beard, and stick them in the pull request.
EDIT: Irrelevant images removed.
Last edited by doofus-01 on September 24th, 2016, 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

You should try to make the lighting blend in more in the archer portrait, the face looks lit differently to me and out of place as a result.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Something has been bothering me about the first portrait, and I think I just figured out what. The hands are different sizes like one is a lot closer than the other, but both arms are foreshortened like they are coming out towards the front of the image about the same amount. There probably shouldn't be any difference in the sizes.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Unfortunately I don't think that archer version really works. Even in the best case the sprites would be visually completely different.

I'd suggest that for now we just merge the sprites and worry about the portrait separately. On that note, you might want to move the sea orc sprite about 2px to the right and 3px up to center it properly.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

beetlenaut wrote:Something has been bothering me about the first portrait, and I think I just figured out what. The hands are different sizes like one is a lot closer than the other, but both arms are foreshortened like they are coming out towards the front of the image about the same amount. There probably shouldn't be any difference in the sizes.
I agree, that was very sloppy.
zookeeper wrote:I'd suggest that for now we just merge the sprites and worry about the portrait separately.
OK, let's forget about the portraits.

Lisar needs sceptre animations (cloned from sword version when possible). The queen needs a death animation, probably... Am I forgetting anything?
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

doofus-01 wrote:Lisar needs sceptre animations (cloned from sword version when possible). The queen needs a death animation, probably... Am I forgetting anything?
No, I think that's it. Except cloning the Battle Princess melee animation to Princess, but I don't know if you were planning that as part of this.

As for the death animation... sure, if you want to make one. One way to do that would be to have her fall to her knees in the animation (as per the portrait) and play that before the death dialogue, and use a fadeout (whether the normal or some fancier kind) as the actual death animation after that.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

zookeeper wrote:Except cloning the Battle Princess melee animation to Princess
Oof, I had thought I had already done that, but it seems I have not.
zookeeper wrote:As for the death animation... sure, if you want to make one. One way to do that would be to have her fall to her knees in the animation (as per the portrait) and play that before the death dialogue
I figure there should be some sort of visual for the player, who has suffered through a long campaign. For testing purposes, how would that best be done, if it's not death animation? Levelin/levelout to some "dying queen" unit? We don't want her popping back to her feet when the frames get skipped or goofed by the engine.

Quick question about sceptre pose: which is the better way to go, left or right (don't critique the details)? Right is boring, but clearer. Left looks a bit like she's holding a guitar or spaceman laser, but maybe that's OK. Maybe not.
human-battleprincess-sceptre.png
human-battleprincess-sceptre.png (4.54 KiB) Viewed 4191 times
Git Related Question
If I tried to synch my local branch for this PR with a more up-to-date local master, how would I do that without creating BS commits that only have to do with that merge and contribute nothing real? Next time I push this, there's going to be a lot of crap unless I can squelch commits somehow.
(Yeah, I know, RTFM, but it couldn't hurt to ask...)
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

You need to rebase your commits on top of master and force-push to your fork branch.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Right for stand, left pose could work for something like melee defend anim +scepter version.
edit: On an second thought she probably shouldnt swap the sword for scepter, but wield it with her free hand, whichever one that is.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

doofus-01 wrote:I figure there should be some sort of visual for the player, who has suffered through a long campaign. For testing purposes, how would that best be done, if it's not death animation? Levelin/levelout to some "dying queen" unit? We don't want her popping back to her feet when the frames get skipped or goofed by the engine.
Well, I suppose I'll first have to check whether my suggestion is actually doable or not. There's a few different approaches I was thinking of, I'll try them and see if any of them actually work without glitching.

EDIT: Looks like it can be made to work, without any particularly obnoxious trickery even. I'll just have to clean up my code a bit first.
doofus-01 wrote:Quick question about sceptre pose: which is the better way to go, left or right (don't critique the details)? Right is boring, but clearer. Left looks a bit like she's holding a guitar or spaceman laser, but maybe that's OK. Maybe not.
I'd do with right. The two-handed grip is rather interesting, but it seems a bit too unclear.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

doofus-01 wrote:
Git Related Question
If I tried to synch my local branch for this PR with a more up-to-date local master, how would I do that without creating BS commits that only have to do with that merge and contribute nothing real? Next time I push this, there's going to be a lot of crap unless I can squelch commits somehow.
(Yeah, I know, RTFM, but it couldn't hurt to ask...)
Vultraz already answered this, and basically it amounts to "git pull --rebase" followed by "git push --force".
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

In case you want the WML for the potential death animation, here's what I've come up with (here using the frames of the Wose death anim, split into two parts):

To Dark_Queen.cfg:

Code: Select all

[extra_anim]
        flag=drop
        start_time=0

[frame]
            image="units/woses/wose-die-fall-[1~8].png:200"
        [/frame]
    [/extra_anim]
    [death]
        start_time=0

[frame]
            image="units/woses/wose-die-fall-[9~15].png:200"
        [/frame]
    [/death]
    [variation]
        variation_id=defeated
        image="units/woses/wose-die-fall-8.png"
        inherit=yes
    [/variation]
And to 24_Battle_for_Wesnoth.cfg, right before all her other last breath events:

Code: Select all

[event]
        name=last breath

[filter]
            id=Asheviere
        [/filter]

[object]
            silent=yes

[filter]
                id=Asheviere
            [/filter]

[effect]
                apply_to=variation
                name=defeated
            [/effect]
        [/object]

[animate_unit]
            flag=drop

[filter]
                x,y=$x1,$y1
            [/filter]
        [/animate_unit]
    [/event]
So, the death animation can be a single image sequence where in the first part she drops to her knees and in the second part keels over, all you need to change are the frame references.

The animation system is so fickle that I think sometimes the latter animation is just skipped (depending on what, I don't know) and I had to go through a lot of iterations to finally find one that at least seems to work most of the time.
Vyncyn
Forum Regular

Post by Vyncyn »

zookeeper wrote:The Hammer of Thursagan: Needs better sprites for the Witness line.
I tried making new sprites based on the old ones and the portrait. Shading is obviously not finished, but feedback about the general design and pose would be appreciated.
witness.png
witness.png (1.14 KiB) Viewed 3875 times
annalist.png
annalist.png (1.14 KiB) Viewed 3875 times
loremaster.png
loremaster.png (1.3 KiB) Viewed 3875 times
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Shaft of the weapon is an weird spot to display the teamcoloring, as it would get easily missed unless planning to make it real thick.
I would prefer lvl3 to not lose the teamcolored lines on the clothing, but the gold lining be also existant and place next to them, enhancing them.
You can substract teamcoloring at lvl2's crown since it gets lost on level-up and is not present at lvl1 form either. Alternately can rework that idea of displaying tc on the crown into the form of an jewel, that gets larger cut as the unit advances.
It probably be better if does not have it's arms get naked from lvl2 onwards.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I think the main problem with the old ones is that they look similar and all have the same pose, so they are kind of hard to tell apart.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide