Mainline campaign sprites and animations needed

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
taptap

Re: Mainline campaign sprites and animations needed

Post by taptap »

Hmm, aren't the frames in the gif? Inconvenient, but 8 years. (Mystic was even active on the forum last year.) Shadows are still black in there.

P.S. Are animations added piecemeal or are you waiting for a complete set, e.g. with the lancer?
Attachments
Mage_Death.zip
(24.46 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
Female_Mage_Death.zip
(25.98 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

...that mage death animation is kind of hilarious. >_>
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

Quenoth Shyde, once again uses some stuff by Jet. Might look too similar to the Sun Shyde?
Attachments
quenothshyde-noheadgear.png
quenothshyde-noheadgear.png (3.01 KiB) Viewed 4928 times
quenothshyde.png
quenothshyde.png (3.17 KiB) Viewed 4928 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Kwandulin wrote:Quenoth Shyde, once again uses some stuff by Jet. Might look too similar to the Sun Shyde?
Well, that depends what the Sun Shyde will look like. In any case, the Shaman/Druid/Shyde (or at least the latter two) should ideally have some green to them, since they're the traditional "nature" branch. The Shyde is lvl4 and can pretty much have as much leaves, vines and flowers as a wood elf would.

The only notable problem anatomy-wise seems to be that the arms are massively long. They might technically be the same length as Jet's intended new Sylph, but that one has a much wider silhouette so the length of the arms doesn't really catch the attention the way it does here. Also the upper body is basically parallel to the camera whereas the wings aren't; I'm not sure which one is the intended angle.

Vyncyn wrote:Tried it, but fingerless leather gloves looked very hard to read.
Here is a simple redraw without gloves
This is now in. The blue steel recolouring of the human units is going to be in shortly too, and after that Kaleh and Nym (I've been waffling with a few minor edits which I think are done now).
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

zookeeper wrote:This is now in. The blue steel recolouring of the human units is going to be in shortly too, and after that Kaleh and Nym (I've been waffling with a few minor edits which I think are done now).
Done. The few tweaks were mainly to Kaleh's face, but I also tried to improve the tip of Nym's sword a bit. Nym's hair might or might not warrant a different colour eventually, but we'll see.
Attachments
kaleh_nym.png
kaleh_nym.png (31.78 KiB) Viewed 4820 times
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Overall I like the look of these new sprites but there a few things that still seem off. Kaleh's arm on the left side seems like the top and the bottom don't line up properly for a connection. And the (not sure what that is... tabard?) hanging between Nym's legs down past her knees should either be shortened or removed entirely.

Concerning Nym's hair color, personally I think something exotic like pink or green would be cool.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Sapient wrote:Overall I like the look of these new sprites but there a few things that still seem off.
I agree with that assessment. I think Kaleh's right arm (our left) is hard to read. It's easy to mistake his lower arm for the upper if you don't look closely. I think the shadows on the upper arm should be lighter, and his fist should be outlined more strongly. Nym's stance is a little awkward too. It looks like her hips are too wide and she's pushing her knees together. It might be enough to make both of her feet point outwards, but something might have to be done with her waist too. I strongly favor shiny black hair for both. (Why is Kaleh's hair purple?)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Besides that Nym's sword-hand isn't readable very well, I'll just go ahead repeating myself that the angle of the cross-guard/sword is off.
Spoiler:
I have a cunning plan.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

beetlenaut wrote:(Why is Kaleh's hair purple?)
Seems more like grey to me... I mean, I can see the purplishness, but the overall impression is more of grey hair.
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

What we really would need would be own images for the zombies Gryphon variation.
Try out the dark board theme.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Shiki wrote:What we really would need would be own images for the zombies Gryphon variation.
I guess since gryphon is a mainline MP recruited unit, Wesnoth would look better if it didn't turn gryphon into a zombie drake. Would this do as a base? I tried to make it looks less "crouched & ready to pounce", which is at least how I read the original sprite.
gryphon.png
gryphon.png (6.5 KiB) Viewed 4380 times

(This does seem a bit off-topic, should it go somewhere else?)
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Seems pretty good to me.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Yeah that is good. Could you make a death anim, perhaps using the zombie drake death as a model? (the death anim is, in my opinion, a key part of the zombies)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Only because you asked nicely, The_Gnat. ;)
Here are all the zombie frames. Soulless is still yet to be done. By the way, the zombie wolf sprite came up as Indexed when I opened it in GIMP, not RGB. Not sure if that matters.
Attachments
wc-gryphon.tar.gz
(23.97 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

I doubt it matters whether it's indexed or RGB. In fact, indexed might be marginally better since it could potentially reduce the filesize.