New water

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Wussel

Re: New water

Post by Wussel »

quagmire? after the crazy beach waves update 5 years ago quagmire is used in all the desert scenario as sole water replacement. Would be nice to see it work too. For the record: Eleazer did an awesome job on the quagmire and all swamp related things.

On the other hand I seldom see deep water next to swamp. But that seems to be the point. The flat water is nice for a rafting river, but not for flat water in general. Maybe, if you guys want smaller wave-like movements for flat water: Just scale the deep water terrain down to half and adjust the color.

So happy to see the "crawling worm" water animation finaly getting replaced.
new_water-1.jpg
new_water-1.jpg (14.2 KiB) Viewed 6631 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

"Flat water"?
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Not deep water? shallow water? water to stand in?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

The "flat" in that screenshot is tropical deep water, "deep" is normal deep water and "river" is tropical shallow water.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

They look great! :)
The terrain codes, such as Ww, Wot, will be the same, right?
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

In that case I would propose to use "Tropical deep water" as "shallow water". The "Shallow water" tropical or not, I would keep for rivers, but not for big seas next to shore. Of course people will use it however it fits their taste (like quagmire for desert water).
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

SkyOne wrote:They look great! :)
The terrain codes, such as Ww, Wot, will be the same, right?
Yes, the codes haven't changed.
Wussel wrote:In that case I would propose to use "Tropical deep water" as "shallow water".
The deep and shallow are fundamentally different graphically, there's no way using one for the other would work at all. I'm pretty sure you'd agree after seeing them in-game.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

hi zookeeper, that is exactly the point.

shallow water is awesome for rivers.

deep water is awesome for the great sea.

costal flat/shallow water should be looking like sea water with some see through floor like sand.

Thus I would expect people to utilise the tropical water for that purpose anyway. Like they utilising quagmire for water in desert because the crazy waves are pointless in the desert.

There is an issue if some body needs a deep river. But maybe it looks nice. Otherwise you would need a deep river water variation of the shallow water.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Is the water used already? I did not find it in game.

I would basically suggest river and ocean in 2 versions: shallow and deep. (makes it 4)

I would stay away from the 3 colored versions. (now 6)

I believe in colored water, I just do not think it has to be part of mainline.

I want red, yellow, black and green water! It is a fantasy world after all.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Wussel wrote:Is the water used already? I did not find it in game.
Yes, but the first release version which will have it will be 1.13.2 (which is planned for this year).
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Managed to look at the water. Really awesome.

Somebody managed to finish the wave animation too! Good job!

I would suggest to use the wave animation only towards the beach tile. This means NOT desert, desert mountain, crater, desert hills. For those I would recommend the standard flat to water transitions. This way the user can decide if waves are needed or not. A single water hole in the desert looks really crazy with that waves for me.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Update!

Unfortunately, it turns out the gray/tropical variations and transitions internally generate so many images (via IPF's) that they hog up unacceptable amounts of memory. I've been trying to find a solution lately, and after much effort ended up with this: the gray and tropical variations are no longer created by color-shifting (via ~CS) the normal water, but instead by drawing a translucent unanimated overlay on top of them. Visually it's a bit worse, but it's not a huge difference, and there's probably room for some small further tweaks.
Attachments
Old above, new below
Old above, new below
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

You lost a bit of contrast. Maybe you could turn that back on again by using code too?
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Many an excuses, but above looks more like actual sea water, below reminds me of zerg creep.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Lava isn't exactly water, but it's similar enough that I might peruse this thread to announce that we have new animated lava now, too.
Attachments
lava.gif
lava.gif (416.17 KiB) Viewed 5173 times