Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
ociebieda

Graphic arts licence

Post by ociebieda »

I know that Wesnoth is GPL.
The question is if all used graphics (for example, unit portreits) are GPL too?
I am confused, because some of these graphics are on wikipedia and other sources as Public Domain with permission for commercial use and modify.
Is that correct?
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Graphic arts licence

Post by Iris »

Moved to Art Contributions.
ociebieda wrote:The question is if all used graphics (for example, unit portreits) are GPL too?
I am confused, because some of these graphics are on wikipedia and other sources as Public Domain with permission for commercial use and modify.
Is that correct?
Our art assets are all primarily licensed under the GNU GPL, although it is also possible a few of them were originally in the public domain. If you could link to some of the alleged PD content, we might be able to say whether their origins are being misrepresented or not. Do note that while the GNU GPL is a copyright license and thus original GPL works are not public domain, it does allow commercial use.

(Also note that fair use is not the same as PD. I believe Wikimedia generally accepts non CC BY-SA content by abiding to the U.S. definition of fair use.)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.