Sir Kaylan

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Ranger

Sir Kaylan

Post by Ranger »

I've been playing HttT (again) and as I went to "BlackWater Port" scenario I noticed that Sir Kaylan have a different portrait than generic GrandKnight. Cool, I thought, but then I looked and saw that his sprite looks the same as other GK. So I spent a few hours tweaking GK sprite, trying to come up with a subtle ways to indicate that this unit is unique. Here are the results. I added a spiraling stripe to his lance and a larger one over his breastplate. I am in no way a professional artist so dont judge me.
Attachments
BWP_SirKalyan.png
Calling a spear a spoon and then saying "our spoons are different, WINR," is kind of unsatisfying, isn't it?
pe_em

Re: Sir Kaylan

Post by pe_em »

Looks good!
But please don't paste screenshots, but only a unit.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

It's really, really not worth the time and effort to make unique sprites for every character in every campaign; I applaud the effort, but it could be much better spent elsewhere.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

If you want to give certain characters a slightly customized look, you could come up with palette switches (in the vein of Darken Volk and Grüü) to wire in. Even then I think Sir Kaylan is one of the least deserving of such a treatment, seeing that in his one and only appearance in the campaign, he's completely unique already (by being the only Grand Knight you might realistically see there).
Ranger

Post by Ranger »

zookeeper wrote:If you want to give certain characters a slightly customized look, you could come up with palette switches (in the vein of Darken Volk and Grüü) to wire in. Even then I think Sir Kaylan is one of the least deserving of such a treatment, seeing that in his one and only appearance in the campaign, he's completely unique already (by being the only Grand Knight you might realistically see there).
thespaceinvader wrote:It's really, really not worth the time and effort to make unique sprites for every character in every campaign; I applaud the effort, but it could be much better spent elsewhere.
Well, it's not any campaign, we're talking here about the largest mainline campaign in Wesnoth with tons of loyal secondary characters who, if not dead at that point, interviene to expose their opinions in some scenarios(like the White Mage we save from "Isle of the Damned").
It would be nice if these units had some particular characteristics to them, like something showing thier personality, even if it's a small thing like palatte swap.
pe_em wrote:Looks good!
Granted.
Attachments
grand-knight.png
grand-knight.png (3.06 KiB) Viewed 10054 times
Calling a spear a spoon and then saying "our spoons are different, WINR," is kind of unsatisfying, isn't it?
Gweddeoran

Post by Gweddeoran »

great job! he is actually important, if it wasn't for him, konrad would have faced a larger amount of asheviere's army!
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

In my opinion he's already different enough by having teal TC and a different portrait.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

The overlays, like the crowns and bars, are another way to distinguish special units. Does Kaylan have something special that other knights don't have? If not, the overlays/status decorations are probably effective enough.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Ranger wrote:It would be nice if these units had some particular characteristics to them, like something showing thier personality, even if it's a small thing like palatte swap.
It would indeed be nice if they did. It would be nice if all the units had idle animations and north animations and run animations and I had a million pounds and a pony ;)

Actually, scratch the pony, they're a lot of work :P

In all seriousness, having a bunch of extra art resources is a great idea. But FWIW, I'd FAR rather see the current set of resources we have completed, than see a bunch of extra un-animated unique single unit sprites added to the game.

That being said, if this is what you want to work on, you're doing a decent job. But I wouldn't advocate its inclusion without animations.

The palette swap on the other hand, is doable in WML, and would be fine.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
VYNLT

Post by VYNLT »

Ranger wrote:
zookeeper wrote:If you want to give certain characters a slightly customized look, you could come up with palette switches (in the vein of Darken Volk and Grüü) to wire in. Even then I think Sir Kaylan is one of the least deserving of such a treatment, seeing that in his one and only appearance in the campaign, he's completely unique already (by being the only Grand Knight you might realistically see there).
thespaceinvader wrote:It's really, really not worth the time and effort to make unique sprites for every character in every campaign; I applaud the effort, but it could be much better spent elsewhere.
Well, it's not any campaign, we're talking here about the largest mainline campaign in Wesnoth with tons of loyal secondary characters who, if not dead at that point, interviene to expose their opinions in some scenarios(like the White Mage we save from "Isle of the Damned").
It would be nice if these units had some particular characteristics to them, like something showing thier personality, even if it's a small thing like palatte swap.
pe_em wrote:Looks good!
Granted.
Any idea on how to apply the sprite to Sir Kaylan? Him only.