Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Ricefields and dikes

Post by Mefisto »

I october I posted effects of my work on ricefield and dikes on workshop forum. I think that I should repost the files here to know if they are considered of good enough quality to be included into mainline. So far I have got ready dikes (equivalent of fences) and rice vegetation (equivalent of farmland). I'm still working on water (my intention is to create another type of water, muddy water which would hamper movement and fighting ability more than fords but less than swamps). But I'm afraid I won't finish it soon. I have no time for it. So I want to show the work I've done so far. The dikes should have mud as a base so rice tiles are shown with proper transitions.
Attachments
rice-dikes.png
risotto.png
dike&rice.zip
(300.46 KiB) Downloaded 474 times
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Re: Ricefields and dikes

Post by Blarumyrran »

Nice! I think the "rice" can work just as well for carrots or many short other grown plants.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

If those green fully overgrown dirt roads are supposed to be some sort of fence then i can only recommend utilizing the Z axis further a lot cause it looks flat right now, seems more like a pathway of trampled grass.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Sorry to barge in late. The dikes work well (they might benefit from a bit more z-height and a smallish mud or rock flank where they touch the water, though). As for the rice fields, they feel a bit cluttered. It might improve if you remove some of the plants to create perceptible crop rows
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

Thanks for answers.
I think I wasn't clear in my last post: In game the dikes are supposed to function the same way as fences as an embellishment (Icopy-pasted the code for fence and only changed symbols) - not to be literally the fences. Their function is to provide a passage between fields so they are in fact equivalents of roads too. Right, a pathway of trampled grass slightly elevated over water surface.

Eagle_11 and LordBob, I'm not sure I understand what do you mean by "utilizing Z-axis further". Do you mean making it thicker? Casting longer shadow? Strenghten contrast between the lighter and shaded parts to make it appear higher? The real life dikes between ricefields aren't too high, at least on photos I have chosen as references. They do function as paths between fields. I didn't want them to appear too high. Could you make some paintovers to show what do you mean so I could make corrections?

For plants - you want them to be thinner, smaller or arranged even more sparsely?