A lot of terrain-graphics

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
rubberduck

A lot of terrain-graphics

Post by rubberduck »

Last weeks i made some special terrain graphics and i edited other wesnoth-graphics for new ones, where i would like to see some of them in mainline.
i don't want to make graphics for UMC, if you think that quality isn't good enough, you can move it to UMC but first take a look at these graphics
i also found some useful graphics from two addons, some of them are useful but they have problems with transitions.

Here are my first graphics i made (they aren't my best):
trees.png
trees.png (141.89 KiB) Viewed 6712 times
Snowy versions of the great tree and two alternative versions for the dead great tree

snow_things.png
snow_things.png (160.2 KiB) Viewed 6712 times
Half-snow-covored area

ice_things.png
ice_things.png (80.01 KiB) Viewed 6712 times
ice holes and swimming ice-parts

rail-tuns.png
Here i made some extra-parts for a cave:
rail-tunnels, (i can make them for all other sides of the walls)
rails going into chasm (lava chasm not supported yet)
green glowing crystals

Now i have some graphics i found from addons, that i find useful:
(from http://files.wesnoth.org/addons/1.9/Archaic_Era.tar.bz2)
i really like the ice-cave-tiles, the ice ground, the ice-chasm and the stone-path
new_graphics_addons.png
Last edited by rubberduck on August 26th, 2013, 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
rubberduck

Re: A lot of terrain-graphics

Post by rubberduck »

new_graphics_addons_bugs.png
here you can see the transition-issues (because of these i can use them only limited/restricted)

then i found some other useful graphics here:
http://files.wesnoth.org/addons/1.9/Fat ... ss.tar.bz2
snow_drake_villages.png
snow_drake_villages.png (84.9 KiB) Viewed 6711 times
Here i found some other useful graphics: snowy drake-villages
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

I like your stuff. The green of the tree is not going so well with snow. The cave with the rails and crystals is awesome. The snowy stuff looks very useful to me.

Doofus UMC terrains have a lot of flavor. It is really great to have it in his campaigns. The transitions your are seeking were most likely not needed by Doofus. Therefore he did not code them properly. You could code many of this transitions you seek yourself without additional graphical transition tiles. Just the right stacking should work. For the records Doofus did a bunch of mainline contribution, if I am not mistaken.

I am not really in the position to explain why Doofus UMC terrains are not likely to go mainline. Maybe one argument: I doubt that he wants them to. One exception: The monolith/Stonehenge castle would get my voice for mainline.

I would love to see your take on a (elfish) tree-house! The tree-house is an on and of project which never got to mainline quality. To display it on the map you see it from above, to look like you know it you have to draw it from below. Nobody ever solved this riddle.

One more thing for mainline terrain ambition. Wesnoth is suffering from a half finished wave animation for years now. Who ever fixes this should become terrain director!
rubberduck

Post by rubberduck »

one problem is, that i can't code it, i made/edited all images in gimp, except the two images from the archaic era and the base-image for the cave (without rails)

these tunnels contain multiple layers, i can export them later as own files
next i would like to make hill. mountain and bridge-variants for the ice-cave and after that i want to make rail-tunnel for the other 5 sides of the hex
i also want to the rail-to-lava-chasm variant and after that i want to take a look at the treehouse or the water

Wussel wrote:Wesnoth is suffering from a half finished wave animation for years now.
i think wesnoth needs a water-effect like this
http://forums.wesnoth.org/download/file.php?id=37230

these animations are missing in my version (i have 1.10.2 at the moment, but i don't know if something canged after)
rubberduck

Post by rubberduck »

i made hill,mountain and chasm-bridge-variants for the ice-cave-terrain
the first image is the original ice-cave-ground from the addon, the other three are made from original wesnoth snow-graphics and from the chasm-bridges

i also added the ice-cave-graphics now (new made graphics and original cave-parts from addon)
Attachments
ice-cave.tar.gz
(617.58 KiB) Downloaded 558 times
new-ice-cave-parts.png
new-ice-cave-parts.png (40.58 KiB) Viewed 6475 times
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

The thing about those ice graphics is that they are literally just the original images hue-shifted to blue. The cave floor never made much sense, since in any case, water on the cave floor would have frozen, meaning the ice terrain could just be used. The icy hills look good. The icy mountains could use a little more color tweaking. As for the icy bridge, it would make more sense to draw the bridge literally covered in ice, perhaps with icicles hanging off the bottom.

As for the cave terrains, I like the rails-into-chasm stuff. :) Only problem is that there's a noticeable color difference where the rail hangs into the chasm. Fix that, and it could be good enough for mainline, IMO.

Now, for the tunnel entrance. I like this a lot, but it has too much contrast compared to other terrains. I recommend reducing the contrast so it's more of a color like the mine rails.

The crystals look good, they could be scenery images, but they need a bit of shadow, and the bottom bits look a bit blurry.

In general, good stuff you have here. Keep it up :)
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
rubberduck

Post by rubberduck »

vultraz wrote: The cave floor never made much sense, since in any case, water on the cave floor would have frozen, meaning the ice terrain could just be used
i also like this idea to use ice as the ground for this kind of cave, but then the ice-hills and mountains should be a bit brighter
vultraz wrote: As for the icy bridge, it would make more sense to draw the bridge literally covered in ice, perhaps with icicles hanging off the bottom.
i also had this idea, but before this i wanted to change color to an ice-like color,
vultraz wrote:Only problem is that there's a noticeable color difference where the rail hangs into the chasm
i don't know, what you exactly mean with the color-difference (do you mean that it gets darker when going deeper into the chasm)
should i make these sharper??
rail-tuns-chasm.png
rail-tuns-chasm.png (9.81 KiB) Viewed 6435 times
on the left side it is unsharp and on the right side it is sharp
vultraz wrote:The crystals look good, they could be scenery images, but they need a bit of shadow, and the bottom bits look a bit blurry.
my idea here was that the crystals are glowing, i planned the blurry bottom as lighting effect
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

rubberduck wrote:i don't know, what you exactly mean with the color-difference (do you mean that it gets darker when going deeper into the chasm)
should i make these sharper??
rail-tuns-chasm.png
on the left side it is unsharp and on the right side it is sharp
Yes, it looks better sharper. And you're right, it would look better as it descended into the chasm. Looking pretty good :)
rubberduck wrote:my idea here was that the crystals are glowing, i planned the blurry bottom as lighting effect
You could make it so it's an animated scenery image where the glow pulses. That'd be cool :)
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
rubberduck

Post by rubberduck »

i will try to add a pulsing glow-effect

i also planned to make a variant of the rail-to-chasm for lava-chasm (like the stonebridge, that is a bit orange on the side when it is over lava), but first i want to change the ice-cave graphics a bit

i changed now the ice-hills and mountains a bit, i made them a bit brighter, so it fits more to the ice-ground
Attachments
ice-hills-new.png
ice-hills-new.png (112.45 KiB) Viewed 6409 times
SFault

Post by SFault »

rubberduck wrote: green glowing crystals
Those look very odd. At first glimpse I thought they were some sort of plants. The crystals look very blurry. Maybe you should try to make non-glowing one, or maybe you could add clearer outlines and different kind of glow.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

I agree about the glow, they are kind of "mushy." Glowing things generally have a much lighter core that dissipates quickly due to scattering. Other than that I like what is happening here very much :geek:
rubberduck

Post by rubberduck »

i made new ice-bridges, what do you think
is it good or could something a bit better?
Attachments
ice-bridges.png
ice-bridges.png (41.45 KiB) Viewed 6223 times
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

I feel bad trying give a hint due my totall lack of skill to make graphics, but i will try just in case I can help: I think ice is more credible when you draw it only in places where gravity should have comoulated water and Sun almost never hot it. Well solved the ice under/side bridge, but I would like something not so regular over it. Anyway, good work, I would use it in a scenario.
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
SFault

Post by SFault »

rubberduck wrote:rail-tunnels
You could use the same brown colors as the wooden planks on the tracks have. Now they kinda jump on my eyes with all that saturation.

Keep on going with the good work!
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

tekelili wrote:I feel bad trying give a hint due my totall lack of skill to make graphics, but i will try just in case I can help: I think ice is more credible when you draw it only in places where gravity should have comoulated water and Sun almost never hot it. Well solved the ice under/side bridge, but I would like something not so regular over it. Anyway, good work, I would use it in a scenario.
I very much agree with this. The new ice bridge looks good, graphics-wise, but it's not that realistic, especially the sudden cutoff on the sides. It should probably be more of an ice frozen in the small ditches thing
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!