BfW logo: Italian localization

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Elvish_Hunter

BfW logo: Italian localization

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

I just localized (or at least, attempted to localize :P ) the BfW logo in Italian. I prepared three variants of it.
The first one has the logo centered, while the "per" word is hooked to the shield's center:
bfw-logo - Copia1.png
The second one has the writing centered, while the shield follows the "per" word:
bfw-logo - Copia2.png
In the third one, both the writing and the shield are centered:
bfw-logo - Copia3.png
Do they need some more fixing? Which one do you think is better?
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
LordBob
Portrait Director

Re: BfW logo: Italian localization

Post by LordBob »

I'd suggest a fourth: center the shield, center the text, AND play on kerning and spaces so that the "per" is roughly hooked on the center of the shield. It's doable.
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
trewe
Translator

Post by trewe »

The first one looks good to me. Just not the third.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

I'd say use the first one as a base, then move the "Wesnoth" to the right and pull the letters apart a bit.

To save some space on the left, maybe the tt can be moved close together, as a double letter? Remove the serifs (vertical lines) in the middle to join them with a bar. I have no idea if this works, but you might give it a try.

In "Battaglia", I think the first "a" needs to move to the right a bit, it's too close to the "B".
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

LordBob wrote:I'd suggest a fourth: center the shield, center the text, AND play on kerning and spaces so that the "per" is roughly hooked on the center of the shield. It's doable.
Thank you for the suggestion! I tried to do this, so here there is a fourth version; in this one, I used a smaller kerning in "Battaglia" and a wider one in "Wesnoth". That's the main problem: "Battaglia" is much longer than "Wesnoth", so it requires some attempts to find a good solution. :?
bfw-logo4.png
GunChleoc wrote:I'd say use the first one as a base, then move the "Wesnoth" to the right and pull the letters apart a bit.

To save some space on the left, maybe the tt can be moved close together, as a double letter? Remove the serifs (vertical lines) in the middle to join them with a bar. I have no idea if this works, but you might give it a try.

In "Battaglia", I think the first "a" needs to move to the right a bit, it's too close to the "B".
I prepared the fourth version before reading your post, so your suggestions aren't included in this one. I'll try them for the fifth version, thanks! :)
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
trewe
Translator

Post by trewe »

nay, this one does not convince me. The double t could be merged into one glyph.
The 'ag' and 'ia' are too tight, letters should not touch one another. And something is wrong with the 'ot' in wesnoth too.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

I still think option #4 is the best one out there, but it does requires some fine tuning.
Merging the double 't' should free enough space to loosen the 'ag' and 'ia'
The 'ot' problem, I think, is because the 'o' is (visually) not centered between the 'n' and the 't'. Evening out those spaces should help.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Fifth version. I tried to implement LordBob's and trewe's ideas, and here there is the result:
bfw-logo-IT-5.png
Any other suggestion or possible improvements?
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

This is looking pretty good now.

You still need to delete the vertical lines where the two t's join.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Agreed: remove the vertical line in the ligature of the double t and it's good to go.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Sixth version. I removed the vertical line as suggested. I also reposted teh discussion in the Wesnoth Italian Forum, where the discussion about the Italian translation takes place. Here I received a critique about the scarce visibility of the "La" article. So I decided to render even this article with a 42 points font.
bfw-logo-IT-6.png
Finally, an important note: since the Italian translation team does not fully agree on having the main logo translated, in case that it gets approved by the art developers I won't commit it, at least for now.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

I see some shading in the connection of the tt - did you merge the two layers after removing the vertical lines?
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

First of all, sorry for the delay.
GunChleoc wrote:did you merge the two layers after removing the vertical lines?
No, I didn't. Instead, I created the two t from scratch, joined them, and then scaled them. But that's not the problem, as instead it's the Bump map effect. See this image:
Spoiler:
Here, you can notice that the effect interpreted the vertical line as raised, and applied the shading after it, on the horizontal line. I don't have much ideas on how to fix this - if it can be fixed at all. :hmm:
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

It can. Once you're certain the kerning and text size won't change anymore, rasterize the layer and hand-edit that part. Handwork, the digital artist's last-resort and the best tool ever. :mrgreen:
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

Elvish Hunter gave me the original file and that's what I did. I also moved the tt's a bit closer together.

One of the tricks I used was to do some copying and mirroring off the right side and set the layer to lighten up only, then fiddled with the transparency. Then finally a bit of tweaking of individual pixels with the help of the copy tool and the eraser.
IT logo tweaked
IT logo tweaked
ETA: phpBB seems to steal the transparency, so here's a zip file as well.
bfw-logo-it.zip
Italian Logo as zip
(88.18 KiB) Downloaded 498 times