New bigmaps: UMC needs

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
SkyOne

Re: New bigmaps: UMC needs

Post by SkyOne »

zookeeper wrote:Sorry guys, but I think the door is closed for now. I can't keep making revisions all the time so I have to call the maps done for the time being. Feel free to continue making suggestions regarding things outside the current maps or smaller features that could appear on close-ups.
Are you sure a small river from the Heart Mountains that merge to Listra River won't be on the BG maps even one for LoW? SotBE is like 800 years after LoW. I mean that people (humans) can organize/develop any paths during the time.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I was working on making a rough sketch (pencil and paper) of the northern hemisphere of Irdya (or most of it, if I'm crazy enough :P ). (I need the map for TLB's sequel). So, is this finalized or do I have to wait for a few years for edits regarding countless suggestions. The current one looks fine BTW.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

Wait a minute...
It seems you removed Halstead also, did you?
If so, these lines should be removed on the Wesnoth timeline when the maps are installed in core.
164-176 YW
During this twelve year span, the western fortress of Halstead was erected in the very heart of the western wilderlands.
199 YW
Emboldened by the far-reaching arm of Halstead's protection, settlement in the west explodes
Hopefully, you will keep the fortress.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

SkyOne wrote:Wait a minute...
It's on the Liberty map (and would be on earlier maps depicting the region, too), but since it gets razed to the ground I didn't include it on the HttT map.
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

zookeeper wrote:
SkyOne wrote:Wait a minute...
It's on the Liberty map (and would be on earlier maps depicting the region, too), but since it gets razed to the ground I didn't include it on the HttT map.
Ah, I see.
At the last scenario of Liberty, players destroy a city (or a castle) as the mission. That must be Halstead. I just did not remember what the city was... My bad. Sorry.
Nice to have the multiple default maps, divided by times.:)

I am still worried about the city-name of Dorset, though, because I also found it on wikipedia: - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorset
You could change current Dorset to Grisbi (Rumyr, or something else) if you remove Grisbi at the north (for example).

And could you tell me what you put the name of the isle below Bilheld? It is hard to see on DW map.

You really keep me busy for the adjustments because BG maps are one of the most important resources to build scenarios and maps even stories (for me), but it is okay. (it gives me chances to polish them up.)

(edited a bit)
thanks
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

SkyOne wrote:I am still worried about the city-name of Dorset
I've now renamed it to Dorest on the final map.
SkyOne wrote:And could you tell me what you put the name of the isle below Bilheld? It is hard to see on DW map.
Uh, what image are you looking at? Looks just as legible as any other label to me. Anyway, it's "Shimmering Isle".
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

I just had a look at http://wiki.wesnoth.org/MapLocalization and this is a pain in the butt to localize, because everybody has to keep switching between the label placement guide and the English layer to research the place names, and then create all the labels again from scratch, including color, size, font face... Looking at the number of languages and maps, this is a big reduplication of effort IMHO.

I think it would be a great help to have the English texts as a levelset, so you just edit the text of each label with your translation, do a bit of necessary shifting/sizing, merge the text layers & Bob's your uncle. Somebody must have a file with the original English text layers somewhere, since the texts were created. Unless you threw this in the bin?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

GunChleoc wrote:I just had a look at http://wiki.wesnoth.org/MapLocalization and this is a pain in the butt to localize, because everybody has to keep switching between the label placement guide and the English layer to research the place names, and then create all the labels again from scratch, including color, size, font face... Looking at the number of languages and maps, this is a big reduplication of effort IMHO.

I think it would be a great help to have the English texts as a levelset, so you just edit the text of each label with your translation, do a bit of necessary shifting/sizing, merge the text layers & Bob's your uncle. Somebody must have a file with the original English text layers somewhere, since the texts were created. Unless you threw this in the bin?
I do have the labels as .psd's, but unfortunately they're only useful if you got Photoshop; for example GIMP can't handle the text formatting and thus if you open the files in GIMP, the text layers will have been collapsed to regular raster layers meaning you can't edit the texts anymore. I've been assuming that basically none of the translators use Photoshop (or any other app that can correctly import the text), but if that's not the case then yes, I certainly could upload them.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

If you could export the merged labels as one layer without the perspective effects on them, that might make recreating the labels in Gimp faster. If you post them here I could try to have a go. PNG files should do it.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

GunChleoc wrote:If you could export the merged labels as one layer without the perspective effects on them, that might make recreating the labels in Gimp faster. If you post them here I could try to have a go. PNG files should do it.
Ok, done. They're in the same places as the localization files now, named labels_flat.png.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

Thanks, I'll have a look :)
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

The resources were split to a separate repo, so now the weburl to them changed to this.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

Thanks! These will do nicely, they can be imported into the Gimp files easily. I will try my hand at recreating the English labels for the Southg Guard map as text layers and we can take it from there :)

ETA: "resources" is a bad name when people wish to make a fork. Better call it "wesnoth-resources" or something.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

Uploaded a map with text labels for TSG.

I can't rotate or bend the text here, because it would turn the text into curves.

If this file finds your approval, I'll make a pull request.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

The web interface doesn't allow me to download the file so I'm not going to check, but if you've just added a layer and it doesn't break the script then it's fine.