Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Mermaid Initiate Replacement

Post by Sleepwalker »

As the topic says I want to replace my old outdated Initiate portrait and hopefully I can make it match Kitty's mermen. So... here's the mostly finished linework!

Before anyone says her ear shouldn't stick out that much to the right I'll inform you that the point sticking out is part of the headgear.
Attachments
newmermaid.png
newmermaid.png (92.26 KiB) Viewed 8172 times
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Jetrel

Re: Mermaid Initiate Replacement

Post by Jetrel »

Looks great, and does look like an improvement.

I really don't have anything constructive to add, so I'll leave it at that. :D
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

she's a beauty and looks younger than the other portrait
her hip scales look a bit ruffled or loose. or is that actually a dress - are merfolk more whale than fish?
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Looks promising. Not much to say at the moment, anatomy is clean.
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Concur - you've also managed to nail down the anatomy on Kitty's merfolk quite well by the looks of things. Good to colour.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

I like it, really looks like an improvement.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Awesome project! I find the hip twist a bit exotic for a mermaid. In my humble opinion less twisting would be more. Problems might start when shading.

To explain: I would expect the tail to show up, in the direction where the heels of a the "legs" are pointing. A fish is not a snake.

To understand what I mean, imagine the lower part of the tail to show up on the other side of the portrait.
Piko555

Post by Piko555 »

Umm... Do you know you're bumping 2 months old topic?
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Piko555: That's fine, hes coming with constructive criticism, and I'm still here to read it. I have had to put this to the side unfortunately so I haven't done more work just yet.

Wussel: I do see that the scales at the hip area could be changed a bit to make the hip look less twisty... But concerning your opinion that the tails angle looks too snakey you should look at the triton and especially the hunter by Kitty which to me looks more snakey than this, so I'm not sure I see your point.
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

There are a few points that attract attention, but I am not sure.
Attached the way I would expect them to be, albeit it seems I might have exaggerated (I guess they are most visible when you put the images on top of each other).

1) The upper start of pectoral of the right hand seems to be low. This may be because from the linework I get the impression that the view on the rib cage is more from the side and slightly from below.

2) The nose and mouth seems to be too much toward-the-viewer side of the face. This depends on how much you intend the face to be turned to the east. And I may be misreading the nose direction because there is no nostril outer line. Also, had suspicions about the shape of the left eye, but looking in the mirror that seems ok (though my face is very much different).

3) It looked like you would have a hard time foreshortening the whole length of the right hand from shoulder to palm, and then I got suspicious about the elbow joint being bent backwards (within norm, though, it might survive). Tried changing the proportions a bit, so that the elbow would get a slight bend and most of the foreshortening would be from elbow to palm.
And then it looked like the fingers were in the same plane as the picture. That may be a problem unless there is a bend in the wrist, which is also difficult to tell without shading. This might have been the reason why the right arm was difficult to read as foreshortened.

Not sure if any of this is really valid or significant enough to be worth changing (also the reasons I have been delaying this post).

The rest of the smudgy proportion changes were an unintended artifact of vandalizing the picture.
Attachments
newmermaid.png
newmermaid.png (119.59 KiB) Viewed 7119 times
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings