Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Dutch ImageLocalization Revisited

Post by Astoria »

I've tried this before a few years ago, but never finished it. So, here I am again making a translated logo.
I've tried to get the positioning right before I'm going to start with the font effects and other things, and ended up with this:

It seems alright to me, but I thought I'd ask the forums what they think.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Dutch ImageLocalization Revisited

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

The font looks good, but the background might need to be a bit less transparent.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:The font looks good, but the background might need to be a bit less transparent.
I know that, this is just for the positioning. In the final version it will be colored and non transparent.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
rmj

Post by rmj »

Perhaps "De" should be omitted and put Strijd would as the top line, that is, if eliminating "De" is acceptable in Dutch.
rmj
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

Looking at the gaps between words, I think "om" should be a bit more to the right
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

GunChleoc wrote:Looking at the gaps between words, I think "om" should be a bit more to the right
I tried moving "om" en Wesnoth closer together, does it look better now?
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

Yes :D

I wonder if it would look even better if you move "Wesnoth" just a tick to the right.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

GunChleoc wrote:Yes :D

I wonder if it would look even better if you move "Wesnoth" just a tick to the right.
Done. I think I'll do the shading later today, and hopefully have a final version tonight.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

I think it looks good now :)
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Something strange is happening... When I tried to do the bump map in GIMP, it doesn't look like the english logo at all:

This is using the settings the wiki advises.

This is what vultraz could make of it (using his own settings, wiki settings resulted in the same thing as me).

They're both still off, and it seems clear to me that the instructions on the wiki don't work on the latest version of GIMP.
trewe
Translator

Post by trewe »

darker shadow and outline, especially outline.

looks as «compensate for darkening» was off, too.

I followed the wiki guideline on the letter, except for setting brightness to minimum for the layers text-outline and text-final, and the result looked good (gimp 2.6.12).
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

trewe wrote:darker shadow and outline, especially outline.

looks as «compensate for darkening» was off, too.

I followed the wiki guideline on the letter, except for setting brightness to minimum for the layers text-outline and text-final, and the result looked good (gimp 2.6.12).
Compensate for darkening was on, and I also tried following the wiki as precisely as I could.

It seems that the bump map changed between version 2.6.12 and 2.8.2 (which is the one I'm using).
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

I did mine with 2.8.2 and it worked. I did notice though that some things were a bit different fro the description. I had never worked with Gimp before though, so I have no idea why yo are having a problem. :?
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

GunChleoc wrote:I did mine with 2.8.2 and it worked. I did notice though that some things were a bit different fro the description. I had never worked with Gimp before though, so I have no idea why yo are having a problem. :?
Can you maybe tell me what you did to get it right, because it really doesn't work for me.
trewe
Translator

Post by trewe »

version changes... :augh:

updated my gimp version (2.8.2 from source) and played a bit around, didn't have any problem retrieving the desired effect, and my test image looked as it should :hmm:

still used as the wiki said, nothing special.