Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
GunChleoc
Translator

Wesnoth logo - Scottish Gaelic

Post by GunChleoc »

There are two possible translation for "The Battle for Wesnoth", so I made a logo for each to deside which one looks better.
logo.png
logo.png (61.31 KiB) Viewed 5910 times
logo2.png
logo2.png (62.11 KiB) Viewed 5910 times
Any comments appreciated :)
Lord_Kata

Re: Wesnoth logo - Scottish Gaelic

Post by Lord_Kata »

I would say second...
Lord Kata

Coder, Roller coaster enthusiast, king of the world...
I'm looking to hire artists for my campaign. If interested, please PM me.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

What about a two/three line version, i.e. each word on its own line? This way each word can be horizontally centered.
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

I'd personally say the second looks much better. I'm not sure about pauxulo's idea, I'd have to see it.
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

Here's a three line version
logo3.png
logo3.png (55.07 KiB) Viewed 5780 times
I'm not really happy with it, but that might be a matter of spacing.
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

GunChleoc wrote:I'm not really happy with it, but that might be a matter of spacing.
Me neither. Different spacing might help, but I'd stick to one line anyway to keep it close to the original.

Regarding logo1/logo2: if both translations are equally good, I'd probably go for version 2 as it more resembles the original.
I have a cunning plan.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I'm far from a scottish Gaelic expert but... Did you really translate "Wesnoth"? It seems like extremely bad taste, it's a proper noun after all... I doubt the spanish version says "Wesnota"...

Than again, in real life, we do translate country names (ex: Spain, Espagne, Espa~na (with the ~ on the n)).

Also, I think the original english logo has all the words on a single line, so for the sake of consistency, I'd personally go that way...
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

For reference, of those of these using the English alphabet, the Hungarian, Latin, Lithuanian, and Serbian translations translate “Wesnoth”, whereas the Spanish and French do not.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

I followed the Image Localization Guide where the pronunciation of the name was adapted to the target language. Gaelic has no W or th; Bh is pronounced /v/. I normally wouldn't translate branding names without asking, but since it was in the example, I went ahead.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Well seems like you guys did your homework better than me about the translation thing, forget I said anything on that matter :)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Also, I think the original english logo has all the words on a single line, so for the sake of consistency, I'd personally go that way...
Well, the word "the" is on another line. I don't know how Scottish Gaelic work with articles, but Latin, for example, doesn't have any. So one line would probably work best.
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
lipk

Post by lipk »

For reference, of those of these using the English alphabet, the Hungarian, Latin, Lithuanian, and Serbian translations translate “Wesnoth”, whereas the Spanish and French do not.
Just for the sake of perfection, the Hungarian "Wesnothért" is not a translation of "Wesnoth". It actually means "for Wesnoth", which is indicated by the "-ért" suffix. The noun itself is not translated.
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

And Latin doesn't really translate it. All that changed was the w was changed to a v, which is pronounced as a w in latin. Noun endings were added as well, similarly to what lipk said about the Hungarian translation.
Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

Apologies, and thanks for reminding me that I should stay in the more technical subfora.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

No worries :)

Localising the sounds of the name allows me to do the case thing as well, just as in the Hungarian translation. So, you'll see "Beasnad" /bɛsnəd/, "Bheasnad" /vɛsnəd/ and "Bheasnaid" /vɛsnədʲ/ throughout the game, "Beasnad" being the base form.