Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Neilarmius

Orc Assasin Standing Anim

Post by Neilarmius »

Standing anim:
ImageImageImage

The fencer is for comparison purposes as I loosely based it on this animation. I was going for exaggerated. heavy breathing, perhaps i overdid it. The frame rate probably need to be a little slower/longer than in the gif above. I am happy to have mine licensed under gpl, had for free from me and committed, if it is up to scratch.

After I had made the sprites I became aware that Girgistan is undertaking an Orc Assasin commissioned job inn the developer's art forum. I hope this does not impinge on his territory.

ps. I noticed that it is possible to wire a movement anim into a few mainline units that are missing some: Vampire bat, Blood, Bat, the ghost line of advancement . You simply reusing their standing animation (as does the the Dread Bat). This probably works for all fliers.
Attachments
spearman-stand.gif
spearman-stand.gif (5.15 KiB) Viewed 5908 times
assassin-stand.zip
(23.55 KiB) Downloaded 332 times
fencer-stand.gif
fencer-stand.gif (6.68 KiB) Viewed 5908 times
assassin-stand.gif
assassin-stand.gif (5.81 KiB) Viewed 5908 times
nuorc
Forum Regular

Re: Orc Assasin Standing Anim

Post by nuorc »

They look great. I agree they could be a bit slower.

Do they also have some idle animation where they show a special move? Like the skellies
archer-idle-9.png
archer-idle-9.png (1.28 KiB) Viewed 5866 times
I have a cunning plan.
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

I never knew skeletons did that, that's amazing.

Anyway, about the animations, it might not be noticeable at the actual game speed, but the Assassin looks a bit jerky, and the Fencer very slightly so. Other than that, it's pretty good, and I like the way the Fencer's cape ripples slightly. Very cool.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Well to be fair, AFAIK Neilarmius didn't make the fencer and spearman animations.

On the assassin's anim, I think it's jerky and illogical. Sadly for you, I don't think cut, slide and paste really cut it. At the moment, it looks like he is massaging his head with his shoulders while his dagger's blade slides sideways on its handle... :hmm:
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Deciton_Reven

Post by Deciton_Reven »

The assassin does jerk when he's moving his arms inwards (closer to the body). One extra frame would probably fix that though. The body and the legs, look lacking, but I'm not the one that gives any kind of go-ahead on these things. (far from it in fact)

@nuorc: The orcish assassin sometimes goes to scratch his head, but pokes himself with the claw on his hand instead. It's already in game.
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

Dixie wrote:Well to be fair, AFAIK Neilarmius didn't make the fencer and spearman animations.

On the assassin's anim, I think it's jerky and illogical. Sadly for you, I don't think cut, slide and paste really cut it. At the moment, it looks like he is massaging his head with his shoulders while his dagger's blade slides sideways on its handle... :hmm:
I think he did, because he said he made the Fencer's breathing over the top and said when he finished on the sprites, which is plural.
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

The plural refering to the multiple frames. Or at least, that's what I thought he meant. (and considering the fencer and spearman anims are mainline, yet he doesn't have Art Contributor on his user title)

And by the way, the assasin seems to be scrunching his shoulders in, which doesn't seem natural to me, but that's not saying much.

Other than that, I think it looks pretty good. Great job! :)
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Not bad. :) One thing I'd suggest is that right now almost all of the motion is happening horizontally, with the exception of the arms and the dangling whatsits from his headgear. The spearman and the fencer both move their torsos vertically as well as horizontally, and they also make use of a slight bend in the legs. Those slight vertical movements help complement the horizontal movements to give the impression of "breathing". It's more of a "bob-and-weave" kind of movement than breathing, but at this level such insignificant movements will have to be grossly exaggerated in order to be seen at all.

Also, it'd look better if you manually redrew certain parts at the new angles rather than using cut/slide. Specifically with the dagger blade, which seems to be jumping around in relation the the relatively stationary guard. Perhaps you could add a bit of movement to his loincloth thingie as well, so the animation flows better.

Keep it up! :)
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Neilarmius

Post by Neilarmius »

Thank you for your comments everyone. I have done some more work on the guy but will only show when I've incorporated more attempts to follow peoples advice. Thanks.
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

We can't really give advice on how to fix things when we're not sure what the latest version looks like.