Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

new Fire Dragon

Post by Blarumyrran »

new Fire Dragon:
pisilohepunane3_preview.png
previous revisions:
Much better than the Oversized Orange one. The oversizedness of the OO causes a lot of uglyness, this doesn't. The oversizedness of OO would only work out if the dragon appeared in scenarios where other units & cavewalls & the like could not be on hexes next to the dragon, but that is not the case, and it would be incredibly limiting if it were. The OO has some ugly parts by itself too - especially stomach scales.

Also a problem I have with the OO one is that Fire Dragon (level5) is not actually an incredibly powerful unit - its best attack is [14*4|marksman], while Great Mage (level4) has [16*4|magical]; its hp is 102, while Yeti's (level4) hp is 142! Overall it is of course better than either (with flight, speed, level 5 leadership and whatnot), but I'm saying it has the sort of stats that you would expect a level 5 to have over a level 4, analogously to how lower levels relate to each other. Yet the size of the OO suggests an enormous power behind it, perhaps comparable to 10 level 4 units! This is an error and my dragon sprite doesn't make that error.
a conversation wrote:<blarumyrran> you will, of course, immediately replace the ugly orange fire dragon with this? It's not like the orange one is animated anyway
<a contributing and respected member of society> sure sure absolutely
the front (his) left leg & shadow were done at the last moment so they are kind of clumsy but I am sleepy now maybe I will redo them.
Last edited by Blarumyrran on October 21st, 2012, 10:50 pm, edited 11 times in total.
TheScribe

Re: new Fire Dragon

Post by TheScribe »

Okay, I have a couple comments, but would like to begin with the disclaimer that I'm not an artist.

First off, aren't units supposed to be facing southwest? EDIT: just so you guys know, I was kidding.

Also, the legs seem to be way too small to hold the body. They'd probably snap under that kind of weight. And personally, this version doesn't convey anything about fire to me. Looks pretty good otherwise.

P.S. The Fire Dragon also has lvl5 leadership, which accounts for it weaknesses in my opinion.
Last edited by TheScribe on September 19th, 2012, 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

First off, aren't units supposed to be facing southwest?
You are right
Also, the legs seem to be way too small to hold the body.
No; in wesnoth human sprites have near-chibi proportions, distortion of proportions is normal; I think such small legs give it a medieval feel
And personally, this version doesn't convey anything about fire to me.
There are no non-fire dragons in wesnoth other than skeleton dragons; it would be expected of any "normal" dragon to breathe fire
P.S. The Fire Dragon also has lvl5 leadership
I mentioned that.
which accounts for it weaknesses in my opinion.
It is again, nothing outlandish; maybe I'm wrong but I believe a Grand Marshal increases the attack of a level1 by 75% and a Dragon by 100% - it's not a groundbreaking difference. Also I think body size should correlate most strongly to the physical aspects of a unit, that is foremostly power of attack and hp.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I like the orange one much more...

It looks like a strange building with a staircase leading up it's front. Maybe a change of colors would change that.

EDIT:Blaruawaw- SynError edited his post; I was commenting on something that is no longer there. The new one looks better.
Last edited by doofus-01 on September 9th, 2012, 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I am sure that it will find good use. Campaign authors can never have too many of these big baddies to throw at the heroes.

However, I suspect that this will not replace the fire dragon in core, considering that there was already a conscious decision to upgrade from the smaller Red Wyvern version of Neorice (animated by kSeth):

http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 81#p245581
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Made him rounder-bellied; commit it away.
Last edited by Blarumyrran on September 7th, 2012, 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Sapient wrote:However, I suspect that this will not replace the fire dragon in core,
Yeah, of course not - especially with the new skeletal dragon that's been made.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Blarumyrran wrote:commit it away.
I am detecting a hint of not-so-seriousness :hmm:

Mr. B. is likely exhibiting his usual (odd) sense of humor.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

I was under the impression from the beginning that this was meant entirely as a joke thread. :?

But that is indeed Blarumyrran's sense of humor; it is usually hard to tell when he is kidding. :P
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

Blarumyrran wrote:I think such small legs give it a medieval feel
exactly what i thought when i saw those small legs : )
they had all kinds of things with small legs, bulls and horses did look chubby that way (i cannot decide on the exact word, meaning something like: rich, stodgy, sleek).
also, have seen some knights in plate depicted rather lean and slender.

the forelegs almost resemble human hands, but if that was intentional then perhaps not enough.
Captain_Wrathbow wrote:[...]it is usually hard to tell when he is kidding. :P
i think people cannot even tell it themselves (me accepted this quite a while ago and i am still alive).
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

lol, SynErr.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Shinobody

Post by Shinobody »

I think campaign (or era etc.) including all the the surrealist Blarumyrran's sprites would be interesting idea.
Artist, writer, game designer for hire.
Art portfolio: https://shino1.artstation.com
Writing dump: https://shino1portfolio.wordpress.com/
My itchio for video games and TTRPG stuff: https://shino1.itch.io/
name

Post by name »

Shinobody wrote:I think campaign (or era etc.) including all the the surrealist Blarumyrran's sprites would be interesting idea.
Erasercrown Era?

That's actually an excellent idea though, it could even become an official campaign set inside the mind of a powerful mage/necromancer/sorceress character that has gone or is going mad. It wouldn't feel any more out of place versus other campaigns than UtBS, IMHO.
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

I think campaign (or era etc.) including all the the surrealist Blarumyrran's sprites would be interesting idea.
Even better would be a room in the surrealist section of the tate modern :lol2: . It's a nice piece of work though, I may use it in a campaign...
High over valleys in the red levelling rays -
In din of crowded streets, going among the years, the faces,
May I still meet my memory in so lonely a place
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

From LordBobs commissions thread:
Blarumyrran wrote:
Wesbane wrote:creating better dragon sprites since this what is unfortunately feels more like ugly placeholder and due to size causes many technical problems, among other things blowing up interface.
I agree completely!
The current mainline dragon is large indeed (could be 2/3 the size and still fulfill the purpose of being oversized) but as for looking 'more like an ugly placeholder', I am yet to see an alternative that is better, at least within the same style.

But one can only say 'awesome' so many times until it becomes really boring.

As far as I understand, the oversized dragons and their most stereotypical appearance come from some AD&D monster manual or similar source where they reasoned, as far as those discussions reached me, that some mythological dragons were as large as a mountain range.
However, I doubt such huge monsters were defeated with physical might in folk tales, maybe with faith or something like that instead, but afaik that was not considered by the oversized dragon supporters.
An overdone (tiny but) epic hero defeating some oversized epic dragon is probably what some people find too cheesy.

The new sprite really is nice, and makes some things (that I have struggled with myself) look really good, but in Wesnoth context it would look like a hardcore freak.
As for a campaign that would feature the new dragon, it would probably go something like this:
Spoiler:
And, btw, I liked the latest standing version more.
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings