Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Re: new Fire Dragon

Post by Blarumyrran »

homunculus wrote:in Wesnoth context it would look like a hardcore freak.
[censored] you.

Anyway, new version:
pisilohe12_preview.png
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

The results of a random experiment I did shows here that a quick recolor doesn't look too bad, actually.
Attachments
metal_dragon.PNG
metal_dragon.PNG (23.7 KiB) Viewed 4896 times
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

:shock: Zerovirus, you have left me speechless yet again...

Twin Dragons...hehehe. Good Orange Dragon and his evil twin Big Bad Dragon... :lol2:
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

How many operations did you do? That is, can this be done using image path functions? That way any future animations wont need to be recolored by hand.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

I hand-recolored the thing by taking the fire dragon's palette and replacing each color one by one, so basically I performed as many actions as there are colors in the palette. My general thought-process was to replace the orange-yellow color ramp with the tealgreen-silver ramp, and the pink-magenta ramp with the burgundy ramp. There were a few colors left over, and I just picked the ones closest in luminosity to fill in those blanks.
Deciton_Reven

Post by Deciton_Reven »

The greens and grays/slivers give the dragon more of an impression of a WC variation than a fire dragon. The orange one is a bit much too, though. It might be pretty as a brown/bronze dragon.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Deciton_Reven wrote:The greens and grays/slivers give the dragon more of an impression of a WC variation than a fire dragon.
I think you're right. Quick and messy recolor,
pisilohepunane3_preview.png
Last edited by Blarumyrran on October 21st, 2012, 10:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tr0ll

Post by tr0ll »

i'm having difficulty seeing the new dragon's face. is it mostly bone or scale?
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

tr0ll wrote:i'm having difficulty seeing the new dragon's face. is it mostly bone or scale?
All The red stuff is supposed to be scales; let's say the scales on head & legs are simply smaller than the ones on the back.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Zerovirus wrote:I hand-recolored the thing by taking the fire dragon's palette and replacing each color one by one, so basically I performed as many actions as there are colors in the palette. My general thought-process was to replace the orange-yellow color ramp with the tealgreen-silver ramp, and the pink-magenta ramp with the burgundy ramp. There were a few colors left over, and I just picked the ones closest in luminosity to fill in those blanks.
We have palette shifts as an image path function, so that should be pretty easy, provided the animator sticks with the same palette.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

So, I am curious why the filename is called "pisilohe"...?
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:So, I am curious why the filename is called "pisilohe"...?
Because instead, it should be "fire-dragon.png" and it should be located in everyone's data\core\images\units\monsters instead of these forums? I agree!
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

This alternate fire dragon's eyes are impossible to detect clearly :( . Blarumyrran, could you make the eyes a bit bigger and add a different color such as emerald green? :)

Like this maybe?
Green eyes added...
Green eyes added...
pisilohepunane2.png (7.9 KiB) Viewed 4673 times
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

While the first iteration of this white dragon-replacement was a bit silly (IMHO), the last revisions are getting some cool vibes. The only issue I'd have is about the wings seeming like they sprout from its hips or butt or something. It still is nearing something very usable IMHO, if not by mainline certainly by UMC. If the big badass fire-dragon is just loved too much (he IS pretty cool), this new dragon could probably still be its baby, or some kind of wyvern, or any other kind of big reptile monstrosity.

If some one made a duergar (dark dwarf) faction, I could really see the gryphonrider being replaced by a dwarf riding this baddie! :lol2:
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:This alternate fire dragon's eyes are impossible to detect clearly :( .
Why is that a problem
Lord-Knightmare wrote:could you make the eyes a bit bigger and add a different color
No.
Dixie wrote:It still is nearing something very usable IMHO
[...]
Last edited by Iris on October 21st, 2012, 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: You are really pushing it.