Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Dave
Founding Developer

Dwarvish Village?

Post by Dave »

I was having a discussion on #wesnoth-dev with sanna, and we decided that multiplayer games would be better 'balanced' if there were more villages in mountains.

The problem is that it doesn't seem very 'real' to put many villages in mountains, because not many people live in the mountains compared to plains/grassland.

Of course, there are lots of villages in the forest, because they are all 'elvish villages'. People seem to think it makes sense that they should put lots of elves living in the forest.

So, I think it'd be good if we had a dwarvish village image. We already have an underground one, but having an above-ground one too would be nice.

Any takers do draw one for us?

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Circon

Post by Circon »

Can't you just pull out the old one?
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Having a mountain village sounds like a great idea.
scott

Post by scott »

Circon wrote:Can't you just pull out the old one?
The one that looks like mountains with fireflies?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Correction: Having a mountain village that doesn't look like mountains with little specs of yellow of them would be good. All other villages have been to a similar scale, having a completely different scale for mountain villages is not a good idea.

For a mountain village I'd imagine a village on a plauteu in the mountains. Or a village on a ridge, sticking out from a mountain. The village might have to be a bit smaller than other villages, but it shouldn't be tiny.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

quartex wrote:Correction: Having a mountain village that doesn't look like mountains with little specs of yellow of them would be good. All other villages have been to a similar scale, having a completely different scale for mountain villages is not a good idea.

For a mountain village I'd imagine a village on a plauteu in the mountains. Or a village on a ridge, sticking out from a mountain. The village might have to be a bit smaller than other villages, but it shouldn't be tiny.
This, dear friends, is why I thought that mountains in wesnoth should be roughly eight times their current size. We have support for multi-tile terrains, and if eleazar/christophe/frame don't intend to use them, by golly it looks like I'll have to.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Jetryl wrote: This, dear friends, is why I thought that mountains in wesnoth should be roughly eight times their current size. We have support for multi-tile terrains, and if eleazar/christophe/frame don't intend to use them, by golly it looks like I'll have to.
Nothing in Wesnoth is scaled right to each other at all, and there has never been any desire to make them in scale either as that means redoing a massive amount of gfx. I think village on a plauteu as quartex suggested sounds good.

But feel free to work on multi-tiles terrain if you want to :) I don't have much time at the moment for wesnoth.
Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

I thought and have always used the yellow villages as montain villages...
WoW C-Mode activated...
For the horde :D
mage.of.light

Post by mage.of.light »

has anyone given thought to maybe making the village IN the mountain? like a hole? after all dwarves live underground (so I thought) and trolls. maybe make the village like a cave opening. I know there are whole underground levels, but this could always lead into that lvl. or maybe a hole with a building by it. I dunno just a thought, becuase the hole people have no real villages (except if they sack some) I guess a plateau villages would prolly look cooler. like a pier on a mountain.
check out -=<(my sig!)>=- and my old LOTR sig.
mage.of.light@gmail.com (I have 140 gmail invites just pm)
"Wesnoth while you work!..."
scott

Post by scott »

you can use the small blue house icon (or 2) placed on mountains. It would be a task to make the flags fit with the smaller scale.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
scott

Post by scott »

A seed idea. Another thing to try is to rearrange the mountains to make a small valley and put a bunch of tiny houses close together.

Edit:
I guess the best mountain village is to have a full-size village with a rocky verge. I think the elf village recolored blue might look nice.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
scott

Post by scott »

Looks like I'm working on triple posting here.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

My try heavy copy and paste
Attachments
mountain3.png
mountain3.png (10.07 KiB) Viewed 3076 times
mountains.png
mountains.png (12.37 KiB) Viewed 3076 times
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Yes, something like that could be interesting. I have some concerns regarding scale. Although the scale of different types of objects in the game isn't the same, I think we should try to keep aprox. the same scale on the same type of objects, which in this case is villages. This will help on recognizing what it's suppose to illustrate.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Is this one better
Attachments
mountain5.png
mountain5.png (9.9 KiB) Viewed 3041 times
mountains3.png
mountains3.png (11.87 KiB) Viewed 3041 times
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes