Monsters!

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
homunculus

Re: Monsters!

Post by homunculus »

The previous scorpion had nice small and sharp speculars, like a chitin shell might have.
Not to be misunderstood, the new version looks great in geometry and the details, and in my peanut opinion certainly better overall.
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

That looks fantastic!
homunculus wrote:The previous scorpion had nice small and sharp speculars
Scorpions don't necessarily have small speculars. Their exoskeletons aren't always very shiny.
Crow_T wrote:The giant spider now has some competition :wink:
True, but that's a bit of a problem I think. The scorpion is level 1, and the spider is level 3. I think this sprite should be used for a level-2 unit at least. Clearly, that would involve doing another, smaller one though.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

beetlenaut wrote:The scorpion is level 1, and the spider is level 3. I think this sprite should be used for a level-2 unit at least. Clearly, that would involve doing another, smaller one though.
Why not just make the scorp lvl3? It doesn't really make much sense for him to be lvl1, anyway.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

vultraz wrote:
beetlenaut wrote:The scorpion is level 1, and the spider is level 3. I think this sprite should be used for a level-2 unit at least. Clearly, that would involve doing another, smaller one though.
Why not just make the scorp lvl3? It doesn't really make much sense for him to be lvl1, anyway.
That is a little difficult.
We would need to increase his stats and that would unbalance every campaign out there using it.

I fully agree that the new version looks a little too mighty for a level one.

Maybe Zerovirus wants to make a smaller and a more smaller version as well?
Having some more Monsters in mainline isn't a bad thing imho.
"Wesnoth has many strong points but team and users management are certainly not in them." -- pyrophorus
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Having multiple versions at different levels would be awesome. We'll take whatever we can get, though.

The skeletal dragon, btw, has been committed.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

After LordBob and I added a shadow, I committed the scorpion baseframe.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
Nikita_Sadkov

Post by Nikita_Sadkov »

Tried to do an attack animation based on lineart.
Attachments
scorpion-attack.gif
scorpion-attack.gif (3.57 KiB) Viewed 8252 times
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Looking nice :)

Few suggestions: It could use another windup frame or two when he draws back, and the tail should be a little more fluid. Right now it seems a bit rigid.
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

...and the tail should be a little more fluid.
Like a whip, where the tip bends backwards before striking forward.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

And naturally tail and pincers need to be two different animations.
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

Nikita_Sadkov wrote:Tried to do an attack animation based on lineart.
How this scorpion can attack in same time with his pincers and his sting? You should first watch some movie and check how scorpions are fighting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjMI4u8wVBU

Also if you comment other people artworks without saying anything valuable from the point of view of the artist then your comment is just a useless whinning - which mostly will be ignored by artist. Like talking about some "Although you have butchered it a little, so the palette now looks broken :D" when for artist used new palette makes unit looks much better than before modification.
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
Nikita_Sadkov

Post by Nikita_Sadkov »

vultraz wrote:Looking nice :)

Few suggestions: It could use another windup frame or two when he draws back, and the tail should be a little more fluid. Right now it seems a bit rigid.
Sgt. Groovy wrote:
...and the tail should be a little more fluid.
Like a whip, where the tip bends backwards before striking forward.
Sorry, folks. I've tried and failed. I guess the scorpions needs a propers artist, on the level of Zerovirus himself, which is high.

zookeeper wrote:And naturally tail and pincers need to be two different animations.
ChaosRider wrote:How this scorpion can attack in same time with his pincers and his sting? You should first watch some movie and check how scorpions are fighting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjMI4u8wVBU
Guess it is a magical scorpion.
ChaosRider wrote:Also if you comment other people artworks without saying anything valuable from the point of view of the artist then your comment is just a useless whinning - which mostly will be ignored by artist. Like talking about some "Although you have butchered it a little, so the palette now looks broken :D" when for artist used new palette makes unit looks much better than before modification.
Sorry. Just pointed out that the recolored version of rhyging5 sprite is broken. If you look closer at it, there are some pixels left not recolored, while the color of belt and helmet gold pixels began blending with armor color. The worst is that brightness of the darkest pixels became order of magnitude higher, desaturating the sprite and losing contrast.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Bump, for a few reasons:
1. There are at least a few people here who could get the animations done. Nikita_Sadkov got discouraged, but was off to a good start.
2. (Resurrecting the 2013 discussion above...) Doesn't the giant scorpion look too monstrous for a level 1? There are at least a few people here who could draw a level 1 scorpion sprite, if they knew it was a thing.
3. I felt that the current (old) scorpion portrait looks interesting, but it doesn't look much like a scorpion. I've started a new version. I did try to give it more of a "face" than a real scorpion would have.
Attachments
scorpion.jpg
scorpion.jpg (21.88 KiB) Viewed 6864 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Your portrait of the Giant Scorpion looks great so far.

Regarding the sprite, it's already very busy/cluttered sprite with all the legs and connected segments, so having the sprite large enough to see all those details is probably a good thing IMHO.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

doofus-01 wrote:2. (Resurrecting the 2013 discussion above...) Doesn't the giant scorpion look too monstrous for a level 1? There are at least a few people here who could draw a level 1 scorpion sprite, if they knew it was a thing.
Sure, it's a bit big for a lvl1 monster. I wouldn't personally mind if someone wanted to make it a bit smaller, but then the question becomes do we really need the bigger one anymore? Does a giant scorpion monster need to be able to level up to a bigger giant scorpion monster? I guess variety doesn't hurt, but in that case I'd suggest just making a smaller version to work as a lvl0. To me, having lvl0+lvl1 scorpions seems somewhat more useful than lvl1+lvl2 scorpions, from a scenario design standpoint.
doofus-01 wrote:3. I felt that the current (old) scorpion portrait looks interesting, but it doesn't look much like a scorpion. I've started a new version. I did try to give it more of a "face" than a real scorpion would have.
Looks good to me. The tricky part ought to be the texturing and shading, though, but at least there should be plenty of good references online.