Monsters!

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
direfish

Re: Monsters!

Post by direfish »

#1,2 and 3 just don't look like bone to me.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

How about a version with the grey bones and maybe some flesh and a version without flesh but brown being a higher level one?
The first does not necessarily have to advance in the later.
Spi

Post by Spi »

Just another peanut, but frankly I'd go for #3: just warm enough for bone, and with that bleached effect. Perhaps more suitable for desert maps? Then again maybe it's my screen playing tricks on me, but #4 gives me the impression of a lot of dirt (again, that would make it more suitable for earthy maps like swamps and the like, methinks).

Peanut out.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

A vote for #4.

Also unrelated, but yeah, it'd be cool to have you redo the scorpions as per your edits.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Another vote for #4, the most bone-like imho. #3 has some blueish greys (or pure greys that look blue by contrast, whatever) that give it a stone-like tint
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

Sleepwalker had some interesting skeletons:
(Also, I read somewhere that there are plans to replace the skeleton's head, I hope that version wasn't missed as it has an extraordinarily easily identifiable skull shape IMHO)

When I tried this palette on the bone dragon it looked boring, but I admit I didn't make a lot of effort to make some desaturated darker greens or brows work.

Should the palette of the dragon be consistent with current mainline skeleton palettes, or are there plans to recolor the existing skeletons to be consistent with the bone dragon?
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Meh, screw consistency. Nobody's trying to recolor the fire dragon and the drakes to use the same palette, and bone can have all kinds of hues too.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Consistency can be useful in rare cases but it's largely pointless in this one.

At this point, consistency for us is largely a theoretical benefit - we'd want consistency to allow us to be able to late color-shift stuff. I.e. we want consistent orc skin colors, so that later on, we could make orcs come in all sorts of skin tones, not just their current reddish brown.

For the skeletal dragon, you're running into a classic pixel art problem; this used to result in a lot of self-doubt and such over what I was doing wrong, but I've come to realize it's more a problem of the field, and not one of incompetence. I think I now have enough skill with pixel art to decisively state:
Scaling the palettes of small-scale pixel art onto larger-scale pixel art is problematic; larger pixel art typically demands palettes with more shades in them. It demands more shades because you need a certain ratio of shades per change in curvature per distance covered. What makes larger pixel art "break down" when using palettes from smaller objects is "curved surfaces that cover a larger area per amount of curvature."
So... the classic problem with pixelart is trying to make some palette-to-end-all palettes that's gonna serve your whole game's worth of assets, no matter how big they are. It's hard, and if you've ever seen the common 16-color palette challenges at pixeljoint, etc, they're decidedly unwieldy for certain things being depicted. Great for tiny tiles. Great for large pics with lots of flat colors. Good luck doing a large picture with curved surfaces, though. One size does not fit all.

Honestly, the only realistic thing is to just be flexible; to add new elements to palettes as you go, and to be able to revise palettes globally as you add colors. The revise-palettes-globally thing is the pain point. It's probably the worst thing about wesnoth's "every image in its own file" strategy (as far as using gui tools like the paintbucket to do color-changing goes; naturally if you're fluent with imagemagick or something you could probably come up with a decent mapping which you could batch-convert everything with). This would be strictly necessary with wesnoth, but it's something frogatto has been able to avoid due mostly to having a small total number of actual graphic image files (generally 2-10) that use any given palette.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Not to mention that we're talking about two different species.
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

Drake Lich or Dragon Lich (Dracolich) is looks great but they are still some bad things in this image:
1. Why he have only 3 legs :P ?
2. This drake have too small wings, normally it couldnt be able to fly :P!

Also if someone wish to find some ideas for monsters go get NEVERWINTER NIGHTS and download for this game addon CEP2 (there are a lot of diffrent images) and then check maps editor.

http://neverwinter.phx.pl/pic/creature_dracolich.jpg
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
Shinobody

Post by Shinobody »

1: Third leg is hidden by the body thanks to perspective.
2: Sprites always have "cartoony" unrealistic exaggerated proportions. For humans it means "super deformed" look, with proportionally giant weapons and heads, here - it means wings are resized to better fit rest of the sprite.
3: Though the image comes from Neverwinter Nights community made add-on, it still represents a Dungeons and Dragons "Dracolich", which creature is copyrighted property of Wizards of the Coast.
Artist, writer, game designer for hire.
Art portfolio: https://shino1.artstation.com
Writing dump: https://shino1portfolio.wordpress.com/
My itchio for video games and TTRPG stuff: https://shino1.itch.io/
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Wow, after taking a look at the old scorpion I did it looks ridiculously bad. What the hell is that supposed to be, a stay-puft marshmallow scorpion?
Attachments
scorpion-new.gif
scorpion-new.gif (2.94 KiB) Viewed 8445 times
scorpion_revamp.PNG
scorpion_revamp.PNG (3.77 KiB) Viewed 8445 times
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Solid work on this new scorpion, I like it :geek:

The giant spider now has some competition :wink:
alluton

Post by alluton »

3rd scorpion looks really good.
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Zero, the progress you've made since your previous scorpion is amazing ! 8)
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !