LordBob's commissionned work

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Telchin

Re: LordBob's commissionned work

Post by Telchin »

> He is old. According to the timeline, he was already 59 when Asheviere seized power and he's past 75 when the campaign begins. By Wesnoth's (assumed) medical standards, he's lucky to even be able to walk. Yes, I know, magic is a potent preservative and whatnot, but old age happens to everyone and more often than not it gives people's features a character that they completely lacked in youth.
That makes sense given that his unit is literaly named "Elder Mage" and that he is weaker than his ultimate from in Delafdor's Memoirs. Also I might be wrong (or just slow-witted), but I assume that those protraits will be cropped when finished, as all (?) current portraits (both generic units and campaign characters) seem to depict the person waist-up. (I guess it's easier to get the anatomy right when sketching the entire body. Am I wrong?)
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Telchin wrote:(I guess it's easier to get the anatomy right when sketching the entire body.
You're absolutely right. Plus, it's a better practice for me to conceive full-body poses and it looks better in a portfolio.

Anyway, revised Moremirmu. If the book isn't mage-ish enough I'll replace it with the hand gesture of #2, but all in all I'd really prefer to stick to this one.
Attachments
Wesnoth_HttT_moremirmu-study3.jpg
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Looks good to me, and the book's ok too.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

The current old Delfador sprite is quite burley, I picture him as a bit more beefy than the sketches.
Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

To me, Moremirmu’s right leg seems too thin compared to his left leg.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

imo the cartooniness & strong perspective clash too much with other portraits! Delfador's staff looks really cool.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

LordBob wrote:Oh, and, Asheviere will be old, too. Not as much as Delfador, but 50's the youngest you'll get so don't you go expecting fancy cleavages and silky hair :roll:
Aw, darnit D:

Anyway, on Delfador, I like the second one, as it matches colors with the story art. That thing around his neck looks a bit weird, though, like something out of Elizabethan times.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

For Delfador: medical conditions aside his pose suggests he is a humbled, broken man (who he is at least in the beginning of HttT admittedly) but people probably would like to see somebody like badass old silver-hair kung fu master "Nobody messes with Delfador the Great!". I like the second colour theme. It makes kind of impression of regal purple.
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Campaign specific characters could have their own style right, so does it matter if they are more cartoony? Or are we moving away from that?

Green is a given, so the choice is purple or red. I prefer red.

Vultraz: It's a cape with a fancy collar. Any prestigious wizard should have something with a fancy collar in his wardrobe. :wink:
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

Campaign specific characters could have their own style right, so does it matter if they are more cartoony? Or are we moving away from that?
I guess it's OK if campaign portraits deviate from generic unit portraits, but all campaign specific portraits in a single campaign should use the same style for some consistency. That said, I'm not up to date with what portraits are being redone and by whom (the latest BfW I have installed is 1.10.0) and I suppose that style guidelines are ultimately up to people who actually understand art, not myself.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I prefer the red. I also think he should stand a little straighter: Currently, he doesn't look like he could walk for a hundred miles.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Moremirmu: I think his "gothic sway" is overexaggerated on his rear foot, but the draping of his tunic/hauberk would hide that entirely on the final portrait. His character/personality works well. :)

Delfador: I think the costuming and face work on this set is good, but I think I share everyone's concerns about delfador's own look, most succinctly stated by a worry that he's "off-model". That even accounting for the effects of age, his body looks like someone else's. He's very old, but I think for story-reasons he still needs to look decidedly "hale", since he's required by story to do a lot of rough travel.

Broadening his shoulders/chest and reducing his stoop somewhat might fix everything.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Despite the prolonged silence, I am still around (been busy updating my portfolio). Delfador comment duly noted, I'll make him a little more fit and a little less like a crumbling old man.

In the meantime, I've finished Moremirmu. I didn't include any magic FX on the sword (other than uncanny shades of blue) given his relaxed pose as I'd tend to reserve them for "casting" poses, but if the white-mage part isn't obvious enough it'll be an easy fix.
Attachments
Wesnoth_HttT_moremirmu-study4.jpg
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
rmj

Post by rmj »

Nice facial expression.

His right hand looks flat. Is that a bald spot on his head? If so, I don't think it would be visible.
Where is his wand?
rmj
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

rmj wrote:Where is his wand?
He presumably doesn’t need one.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.