Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: LordBob's commissionned work

Post by zookeeper »

LordBob wrote:Awww, my mistake. Based on your description of him willing to go down fighting, I'd assumed that he did actively take part in the siege of Weldyn and speak his lines at that time. Since this is not the case, I'll ditch that sketch and start over with casual clothing.
Yeah, I just meant that to describe his character in general and the kind of impression he should give off. In any case, I do suggest keeping the armour; he is actively leading the defense at the time you reach Weldyn, and does appear on the field in the subsequent siege scenario, so him being in battle gear throughout the whole ordeal is entirely fitting.
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

zookeeper wrote:[...]he could hold the helmet under his our-left arm while holding the sword with his our-right hand (or vice versa) and resting the tip on the ground.
It was pointed out some time ago (last year, i guess) that resting the tip of the blade on the ground was not customary, or was barbaric at least, as the blade would get dirty.
Also, a little suggestion could be that kings might have more gentle-looking hands like this one:
http://www.bridgemanart.com/asset/27904 ... -on-canvas
And kings have been depicted with crowns on top of face-open helmets, something like this (afaik this is contemporary 19th century painting, I didn't quite find the references I was looking for):
http://imperialkingdom.net/people/r/richard-i/
But it seems all mentioned cases are good:
http://freepages.family.rootsweb.ancest ... attles.gif
http://www.logoi.com/pastimages/img/king_arthur_4.jpg
Last edited by homunculus on August 24th, 2012, 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

A crowned helm sounds fitting, but wearing any sort of helm still screams "battlefield" and is somehow more expected of a soldier. Since we want a portrait compatible with council scenes I prefered to show him with armour but no helm. Note the gauntlets hanging from his swordbelt : I want to suggest that danger isn't far and he could prepare for battle any minute.
Attachments
Wesnoth_konrad_II-study.jpg
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Looks good, no suggestions from me... :hmm:
direfish

Post by direfish »

Maybe a more "noble" and proud posture? This one doesn't look like he owns the place. Also he makes a very inelegant gesture with his right hand, maybe you can make up a more refined one? And it would look better if he rested his palm on the sword's pommel, than just grabbing it in his hand.
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

direfish wrote:Maybe a more "noble" and proud posture? This one doesn't look like he owns the place. Also he makes a very inelegant gesture with his right hand, maybe you can make up a more refined one? And it would look better if he rested his palm on the sword's pommel, than just grabbing it in his hand.
Well, I believe most of his dialogue is him asking Dacyn questions/trying figure out what to do/being worried about Ravanal. I could be wrong though.
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

It took a little while longer, but here's the finished portrait for king Konrad II. I changed the pose a bit compared to the initial sketch, so he's hopefullty final save for lines.
Attachments
Wesnoth_konrad_II-study.jpg
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Awesome portrait, but isn't it lacking the Sceptre of Fire? :hmm:
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Sweet. :o Why don't we have a thumbs-up smiley? I'd use that a lot.

Anyway, regarding the SoF, he's never actually had the corresponding attack in the campaign, and there could be any number of retcons for why he doesn't have the sceptre in Weldyn at that time, so I wouldn't really worry about that. Just another little detail that someone could use as a UMC story hook, for example.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Adding the sceptre would be an easy fix : with the current pose, he has a hand thrust forward which doesn't overlap at all with the rest of the portrait, and his right hand at that. :wink:
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

zookeeper wrote:Anyway, regarding the SoF, he's never actually had the corresponding attack in the campaign
It was added for 1.10.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

gnombat wrote:
zookeeper wrote:Anyway, regarding the SoF, he's never actually had the corresponding attack in the campaign
It was added for 1.10.
Huh... good catch, looks like I missed that. :?

So, adding the scepter would indeed rather make sense, then.

EDIT: If it's not troublesome, I wouldn't mind having two versions of the final portrait made: one with the scepter, one without. Firstly, if we at some point wish to further develop the storyline and for instance make it so that Ravanal stole the scepter in the backstory, we could. Secondly, the king might appear in some other campaign and he probably doesn't take the scepter with him everywhere he goes, so it'd be nice to have an alternate portrait. I wouldn't have suggested two portraits otherwise, but since this one is almost finished, it might be a trivial amount of work to provide both if you're going to make a sceptered version anyway. :hmm:
direfish

Post by direfish »

I love everything about this portrait.
As a minor nitpick, his left leg looks a bit weird. Kinda seems to be bent forward but is actually far behind the right leg. I can't put my finger on it really...
TheCripple

Post by TheCripple »

LordBob wrote:It took a little while longer, but here's the finished portrait for king Konrad II. I changed the pose a bit compared to the initial sketch, so he's hopefullty final save for lines.
The left leg seems a bit odd in how it connects to the hip.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

The tips of his 'shoes' (for lack of a better word) look really weird with those twirly thingies.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?