LordBob's commissionned work

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Frogger5

Re: LordBob's commissionned work

Post by Frogger5 »

To make him look more evil and edgy, you could also try making the jawbone narrower, to reduce the cute, cheeky smile look. But he looks quite awesome. Great work. :)
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

Frogger5 wrote:To make him look more evil and edgy, you could also try making the jawbone narrower, to reduce the cute, cheeky smile look. But he looks quite awesome. Great work. :)
You mean, like head lowered, so that jaw appears from a different angle?
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Updated lich. I did the eyebrow & dramatic facial shading, I think it's enough.
Also, first painting for Gweddry. It should give a decent impression of his outfit and pose.

I'll be on holiday starting tomorrow ; I will still work in my spare time, but it'll be two weeks before I post again. See you guys.
Attachments
Wesnoth_undead_lich-study4.jpg
Wesnoth_gweddry-study.jpg
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Erm...I can't shake off the fact that Greddry's pots is sorta a 'shy girl posing' kinda pose... I dunno, maybe it's just me. :hmm:
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

The pose looks fine to me. Depends on how the face turns out maybe.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Hi crew. It took a little longer than I'd anticipated, but here's the finished Gweddry. One might argue that he doesn't look very heroic altogether, but tha's based on Zookeeper's description of him as a "cautious man, mostly interested in the safety of his people and troops rather than glory on the battlefield. Probably someone who an enemy wouldn't consider to be much of a threat."

The one fix I'll be making for sure is to darken his armour so that it matches the generic portraits for the lieutenant line.
Attachments
Wesnoth_gweddry-study.jpg
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Very nice! Looks like Gweddry to me. :D

I take it that the intention with his eyes was to make him look more like lost in thought rather than outright fatigued? If so, then maybe his eyelids could be raised a pixel or two higher, since currently he primarily looks really weary to me; perhaps it's because both the direction he's looking at and his raised hand suggest that he's talking to me rather than just pondering about strategy by himself, so the likeliest interpretation I can make is that he's really weary.

If on the other hand the intention was precisely to make him look fatigued, then I think you definitely got that right. :mrgreen:
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Nice :D (Funny, at first I thought he was standing in front of a futristic city :mrgreen: ) Also, I think maybe the highlight on the nose could be reduced slightly, it seems to contrast a bit too much with the rest of the face.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Looks great! However, his shirt thing looks too perfect. After riding a horse or even walking cloth has wrinkles.
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
EELuminatus
Art Contributor

Post by EELuminatus »

Cool, but his right hand in line with his pauldron is a little hard to read... at a first glance, it looked to me as if he was weighing a stone with bad texturing. :P
I know you know better what stones look like - that's why I looked closer - but in fact I still don't know what his right hand is doing there. :hmm:
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Think of him as absent-mindedly waving towards someone as he's speaking.
Anyway, I've taken note of a bunch of corrections. Until then, here's a sketch for king Konrad II. As he is, though, there's little that differentiates him from your average royal guard. So I'm pondering the addition of a cape. Not very practical on the battlefield, but so much more regal...
Attachments
Wesnoth_konrad_II-study.jpg
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

I think a cape would add something.

Incidentally, it looks great. :D
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

He seems pretty... martial, for a king. I mean, of course he might be a good fighter and all that, but is it a good idea for the king to appear helmeted and swinging a sword? On one hand, he is leading a city under siege and would be prepared to join the battle personally, but on the other hand, he does most of his speaking in the council and epilogue scenarios where there ought to be no immediate danger of a ghoul trying to eat him, and he more or less represents the first sign of human civilization you see after wading through a dozen scenarios of everyone else trying to kill you, so maybe a bit less aggressive greeting would be in order. :mrgreen:

If you don't mind, I'd suggest at least losing the helmet; he could be holding it himself, or just have none (his off-screen squire would have it). For example, he could hold the helmet under his our-left arm while holding the sword with his our-right hand (or vice versa) and resting the tip on the ground.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Awww, my mistake. Based on your description of him willing to go down fighting, I'd assumed that he did actively take part in the siege of Weldyn and speak his lines at that time. Since this is not the case, I'll ditch that sketch and start over with casual clothing.

With any luck, we can still recycle that sketch later : another campaign, alternate loyalist, Gweddry getting shiny armour, ... So, no worries!
direfish

Post by direfish »

Well, if he's a militant king, he very well might wear his armor to council room as well as to battlefield. Why not? Helmet might a bit out of place though. What if you just give him a massive crown (or even a light helm merged with a crown) instead of a royal guard helmet? And i'd like to see him assuming a belligerent pose, but not like he's about to jump into the fray. A hand resting on his sword would be probably enough to send the message.