LordBob's commissionned work

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Boldek

Re: LordBob's commissionned work

Post by Boldek »

The young ogre seems a little out of place on the battlefield picking his nose...but it's still pretty funny in a way. I expect the ogres to have more body hair, somehow without a slight coat of long hair they seem a little like big fat guys and not monsters. After all, they do live up north, and feel that they need just a tiny bit more distinction between a bit fat human and an ogre.
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

Boldek wrote:[...] I expect the ogres to have more body hair, somehow without a slight coat of long hair they seem a little like big fat guys and not monsters. After all, they do live up north, and feel that they need just a tiny bit more distinction between a bit fat human and an ogre.
Everything living in the north becomes a yeti?
What about the cool pants, wouldn't those be unsuitable with too much body hair?
a bit of rant:
Maybe it is just their fat that provides their insulation?
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
francophone

Post by francophone »

Would have to handle of the hammer is also rusty, no ?
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

I think the eye-holes/ears are too low in the helmet, and I like zookeeper's rolled up version for some crazy reason. Plus the new ogre looks solid- I would make the nipples more elongated and off to the sides like a fat person's though :lol2: .

Thanks for keeping this in the public forums btw.
Attachments
Wesnoth_ogre-studyedit.jpg
Wesnoth_ogre-studyedit.jpg (46.66 KiB) Viewed 31185 times
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

francophone wrote:Ogre: I think even a Nordic ogre should be tanned. Scandinavians are not known to the paleness of their skin. The sun is there, is more horizontal than at the tropics. One can imagine an ogre can withstand the cold without clothes. Anyway, there on the outside and almost naked most of the time. So logically it is tanned. Not too much, since probably more resistant to sunburn too.
Now, I would like to ask: which nation in the world is more 'known to the paleness of their skin' than the Norwegians?
The Japanese perhaps?

Are the Scandinavians known for being tanned?
francophone

Post by francophone »

Scandinavians are reputed to be typically European and non-mixed race (it is a belief, I'm not saying they are "pure race"). They are typically perceived as white people, as opposed to Arabs and Blacks. But in Europe, at least in my country (France), they are supposed to have a golden skin. Certainly not dark but more tan that a medium Parisian or Berliner.

In Europe the stereotype of Swedes is: http://static1.purepeople.com/articles/ ... 37x0-1.jpg
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Looking at the sprite and the previous portrait, they are quite yellow. This color may help differentiate them from the other races, but does it look good?

The skin coloration of a mythical race is surely wide open to various interpretations. I doubt it has to be one way or the other based on any realism arguments-- just the rule of cool, and whatever the art/portrait directors decide looks best. So these realism arguments, while interesting, are kinda pointless critiques in my opinion.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

The more people write about "tanned Norwegians" the more I feel like wishing for more pale ogres.

As for the yellow color, that is often the darkest they will get when they spend 25 hours a day tanning in Spain.
Though, such bright reflections make me suspect a dark colored oil, like the bodybuilders use.

Rule of the cool, was that supposed to mean pale ogres? ; )
If a Norwegian skin color is somehow supposed to be a model for ogre skin color, then I would not hesitate to suggest this as a reference:
http://www.nato.int/sfor/nations/variou ... wegian.jpg
francophone

Post by francophone »

Scandinavians can not be a reference for ogre, because their are human (I think, aren't they ?), they need clothes for support the cold, they live and sleep in habitation longer than outdoor, etc.

If a person lives mostly outside almost naked in a cold climate, it will be tanned (if it does not die because of cold!). There is less sun than on equator but still enough to tan. The fact of being more or less exposed may act more than latitude.
homunculus

Post by homunculus »

As far as I understand, the moral of the story might as well be: the current portrait tan color is too much red-brown for a northerner (if that is the intention), even if the tan is extreme it would be rather more yellowish (which, as pointed out, looks like the yellowish skin of the sprite).
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Being that it's late may here in the NE US and it's been pretty warm so far, I can tell you that at this point, sadly, many of the white neighbors are developing an unsightly combination of white and red. These large beasts remain shirtless throughout the day- from observation I'd say even more contrast would be acceptable, have some lighter whites in the shaded portions, under the breasts/belly.

I think the reds of the portrait are acceptable, they apply in either harsh sun or the cold.
alexanderthegre

Post by alexanderthegre »

Well, being rather ogre-ish in appearance and living in Alaska, I feel rather qualified on the subject of ogre skin colour. :lol2:

Anyway, in the summer, I've noticed that people with very white skin get tan/sunburned, (20 hours of sunlight! Whoop!) and in the winter they get very pale-- this seems to be the consensus here.

Maybe we shoulud have 2 ogre portaits, a pale one and a tan one, as ogres seem to live in many different environments.
Shinobody

Post by Shinobody »

Two portraits each, for minor units that doesn't appear in the game that often. Brilliant idea.
I still don't get one thing - why is his skin pale on the stomach/chest area? That would imply ogres wear shirts occasionally, but as far as I get they only seem to ever wear human-made pants (possibly traded).
Artist, writer, game designer for hire.
Art portfolio: https://shino1.artstation.com
Writing dump: https://shino1portfolio.wordpress.com/
My itchio for video games and TTRPG stuff: https://shino1.itch.io/
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

The question is, what do ogres do all day? I feel as though they would be sitting around or hunched over a kill or some primitive craft, this would lend to their front part being whiter. But this is getting beyond speculation heh.
Boldek

Post by Boldek »

homunculus wrote:
Boldek wrote:[...] I expect the ogres to have more body hair, somehow without a slight coat of long hair they seem a little like big fat guys and not monsters. After all, they do live up north, and feel that they need just a tiny bit more distinction between a bit fat human and an ogre.
Everything living in the north becomes a yeti?
What about the cool pants, wouldn't those be unsuitable with too much body hair?
a bit of rant:
Maybe it is just their fat that provides their insulation?
Duuude, calm down. I am not asking for a coat of fur, I was asking for them to look slightly hairy and not like a polished bald actor in an exercise commercial. And for goodness sake, I am trying to point out that ogres are not cannibals by eating elves and humans. They are carnivores, but they are not human in the slightest. Trying to turn them into large fat humans would match their sprite, but that's not who they are at all. And really, I'm sure that yoga master of yours didn't live all his life meditating in the snow either. I am sure their fat provides lots of insulation, and I am also sure they probably throw on a shirt in the wintertime as well. But all I am saying, is that their portrait might look better with the ogre slightly hairy. I don't see how saying slight coat of long hair is especially furry. bear in mind that these creatures are not human. They have large tusks, and have a resistance to pierce, pointing to thick skin, blubber, secret skin tone colored armor, I don't know. But calling ogres big fat guys with perfectly shaved and oiled chests is not what these monsters are.
Guys I never thought I'd come back to this forum after 8 years this is wild