Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Re: LordBob's commissionned work

Post by Sapient »

Ogres are dumber than trolls. They are not evil because they don't have enough intelligence to scheme evil. Wild ogres attack because they are hungry and think you are food. In Eastern Invasion they can be captured and trained like animals. While they can speak, they can't form complete sentences. While they can wear clothes, they have a horrible sense of fashion. With that in mind, I think A looks about right. B may be too malicious and C may be too smart.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
The_Other

Post by The_Other »

I like B best, it makes me think of a really scary school bully (which is pretty much how I imagine ogres - not actually evil as such, but certainly not very nice)
A is also very good but, to me, doesn't do enough no suggest the 'nastiness' of the creature - though I think this is just the face, as the pose looks fine.
As somebody already said, C looks like he's doing a photoshoot for Giant Cannibal Weekly, it seems like a pretty un-natural pose for such a creature.

So my vote would be for B's head on A's body.
Nothing is true; everything is permissible.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I too think A is best.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

A also.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Another vote for A.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

A
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
TheCripple

Post by TheCripple »

A.
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

So much going on here :D

Congrats on the finished Shaman! I love his expression-less face! This new version of your style incorporates very few lines, take care that the portraits fit with the rest of our work ;)

Troll warrior study: I'm sorry to be a spoil sport, but I really can't see Wesnoth trolls with that much stuff/cloth/armour. The Shaman should be the one with the most gear if you look at the sprites (yes - we diverge from the sprites quite a lot ;) but generally I thought it was a good policy to try to stay in the sprite's spirit...)

Rocklobber sketches: Actually I like all of those a lot, I'd go with B, because it indicates a nice level of action while leaving open if he is about to attack, just fiddling around/taking the rock out of the sling.

Ogre sketches: Hmm, I wouldn't go with C due to his elegance. A or B are both Ogre-like to me. I'm curious how you'd crop (the obviously generally favored) A – both hands below the waist always seem to be a problem to me in Wesnoth-context.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

LordBob wrote:Edit: on a side note, I'm having doubts about the Great Troll. While pretty much final design-wise, I don't know if this unit gets used a lot. My best guess is that Gruu from SotBE and Grog from UtBS might be Great Troll types (both have campaign-specific portraits already), but other than that I don't remember seeing any in the campaigns I played.
In other words, considering we already have a fully functional Troll Hero, there might be a better use of my commissionned time than to draw a barely-used, redundant Great Troll. Could anyone bring some light on this ?
There are multiple "Troll Hero/Great Troll" enemy leaders in several levels of LoW, in one level of DiD, and one level of DM without custom portraits. That's a fair amount - it's about 6 different uses.

As for actual recurring characters that don't just show up and get killed on their first level, there's Gruu from SotBE, and there's a character named "Darmog" from UtBS (on level 7b; he might also be the nameless troll chief on level 6a that you fight, I'd need to check - it's a branching level sequence based on player choice).

It's a substantial amount, and maybe rather than being a proper "great troll" portrait exclusively for level-3, it might be better to repurpose it as an alt for the previous portrait, so we have 2 portraits for the troll hero line used interchangeably.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Committed the shaman.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Here comes the finished Rocklobber.
Next, I'll get back to the warrior and his (sigh) reduced armour. :roll: But I swear, I'm intent on keeping the pot helmet ! :mrgreen:
Attachments
trolls-troll_rocklobber_small.png
trolls-troll_rocklobber_small.png (61.77 KiB) Viewed 3853 times
trolls-troll_rocklobber.png
trolls-troll_rocklobber.png (383.67 KiB) Viewed 3853 times
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Revised troll warrior concept. I've lowered the overall amount of armour while retaining the parts that give him a distinctive figure. Hopefully this is close enough to what we want. I'll wait for the general opinion before I shade him any further.

Meanwhile, back to ogres!
Attachments
Wesnoth_troll_warrior-study.jpg
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Rocklobber committed.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

The warrior's pose looks great :) About the pot helmet, I think it looks even goofier and out-of-place with the rest of the troll now that it's colored. Maybe a different type of helmet that didn't cover his whole face (as I think was suggester before)? Also, I'm getting the impresion his shield is hanging from the pot handle :P And maybe thin his thighs a bit; he seems just a tad too squat.

+$0.02
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Rocklobber's great.

As for the warrior, the only thing which still keeps bugging me is that we don't see any of his face. Considering that they must have cut the eye slit in the pot anyway, could it be turned into a bigger face-uncovering hole? A troll could probably have simply torn or punched away one side of the pot, or bent it into shape, or something. Or the eye slit could simply be bigger so that we'd see his eyes and a part of the face.
Attachments
troll_warrior_helmet_torn.png
troll_warrior_helmet_torn.png (42.51 KiB) Viewed 3769 times