Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
vultraz
Developer

New editor's tool buttons

Post by vultraz »

Since fendrin/fabi's editor updates are adding more tools, I'm (attempting) to make buttons for them, at his request. Currently the soundsource, items, and label tools need buttons, and I'm working on the first two at the moment:
Screen Shot 2012-03-16 at 4.12.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-03-16 at 4.12.01 PM.png (16.01 KiB) Viewed 6221 times
The label one (the "A") suffers from low contrast, no shading, and no border. It was basically something I just quickly put together and needs heavily updating. :whistle:

The the soundsource one (the music noite) seems to be to be done shape-wise, but still needs to be shaded. Also, I'm not sure about the border. The other buttons seem to have a fuzzy border around the images, while this one has a hard border around the note. Should I update it with a fuzzy border? Shadowmaster also mentioned the color seemed off and the angle of the note looked 'not good' either. Any suggestions about that or how I can improve it in general would be appreciated. :)

Here's the zip with the .xcf and the .png of the soundsource buttons; I'll post the label ones once I've improved them a bit.
Attachments
ss_buttons.zip
(8.38 KiB) Downloaded 349 times
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
vultraz
Developer

Re: New editor's tool buttons

Post by vultraz »

Update for the label button. SpoOkyMagician recommended to try a light blue, so I decided to go ahead and use the starting position tool's palette and shading. For some reason it seems a bit...loud. Maybe would be better if I removed the second band of lighter colors?
label_button_editor-active.png
label_button_editor-active.png (3.79 KiB) Viewed 6126 times
EDIT: I realized that previous shading attempt made it seem the 'A' was wavy like the flag, had multiple lightsources of the same strength. It seemed a bit...disconcerting as well, so I made an alternate:
label_button_editor-active-anternate.png
label_button_editor-active-anternate.png (3.74 KiB) Viewed 6111 times
Which is better?
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

You really need to recalibrate your monitor. Even with the 'loud' colors, the contrast is still far too low.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Hum....the blue A does seem to be a little hard to see, but is the orange music note also low contrast?

EDIT: my monitor's contrast was set at 79/100. I made it 100/100. Should that make a difference? Or am I supposed to make it lower :hmm:
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

vultraz wrote:EDIT: my monitor's contrast was set at 79/100. I made it 100/100. Should that make a difference?
Shouldn't it be 20/100 or something like mine ? So that your monitor makes it hard to distinguish things, but the buttons are still easy to realize.
The note could also be more reddish. A gray background is (was) probably not the best choice. The existing buttons are already that way I suppose.

Low monitor contrast is better for the eyes btw.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

I'd recommend making the label similar to the undo/redo arrow image. Light on top and dark/alpha on bottom. That would look nice imo but be careful on the contrast. I still recommend the blue though. I like that color.

As for the note, perhaps red would be better? (or magenta?)

~ SpoOkyMagician
"You don't have to understand me, I'm just there!" ~ SpoOkyMagician
Creator of: Unwelcome Guests Series, Modifiable Android Project, SpoOky's Survivals, and many more... (Most of my old stuff is gone.)
(User Page)
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Wow...dark at 20/100. :P Well...at this contrast the light parts of the A can't be seen well; that dark parts are ok, though. hummm :hmm:
spookymagician wrote:I'd recommend making the label similar to the undo/redo arrow image. Light on top and dark/alpha on bottom. That would look nice imo but be careful on the contrast.
You mean like, instead of the side-to-side shading, make the lines go top-to-bottom?
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

More updates to the label button. SpoOkyMagician gave me some palettes which totally helped a lot. Wish I knew how to make those... :P

Anyway, here's two versions that seem to work. Which one is better?
Attachments
label_button_editor-active-anternate2.png
label_button_editor-active-anternate2.png (3.75 KiB) Viewed 6060 times
label_button_editor-active-anternate.png
label_button_editor-active-anternate.png (3.74 KiB) Viewed 6060 times
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

After seeing it on the forums with the wesnoth forum skin, I am starting to like the second one again. (darker blue) It just looks better. I like the aqua but you are right, it stands out too much here. Go with the second one.

~ SpoOkyMagician
Creator of: Unwelcome Guests Series, Modifiable Android Project, SpoOky's Survivals, and many more... (Most of my old stuff is gone.)
(User Page)
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

vultraz wrote:Since fendrin/fabi's editor updates are adding more tools
Link?
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
SpoOkyMagician

Post by SpoOkyMagician »

http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... map+format

I believe this may shine some light on it mabuse. ;)

~ SpoOkyMagician
(User Page)
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Allright, with SpoOky's palettes and lots of his help I was able to shade the soundsource icon too. :D Only nitpick I have is the sightly jagged edge on the top, but I can't seem to fix it. Doesn't seem very important, though.
soundsource_button_editor-active.png
soundsource_button_editor-active.png (3.86 KiB) Viewed 6034 times
Attachments
new_editor_buttons.zip
Complete set of the label and soundsource buttons
(24.27 KiB) Downloaded 341 times
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Completed a set of item buttons. Basically, they're just a pic of a box/cube, same palette as the soundsource buttons to keep color consistency. Critique?

EDIT: realized I'd got the rotation wrong on the active variation of the items button. :oops: Re-upload with the fix:
item_button_editor-active.png
item_button_editor-active.png (3.63 KiB) Viewed 5774 times
Attachments
new_editor_buttons 3.zip
Soundsource, item, and label tool buttons
(36.75 KiB) Downloaded 355 times
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
SFault

Post by SFault »

I would suggest to use outlines on the icons. The shading of the box was really weird but I don't know if I got it right either.
Attachments
Shading
Shading
Box.png (1.6 KiB) Viewed 5705 times
Outlines
Outlines
A.png (1.8 KiB) Viewed 5705 times
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Hum...basically my shading was meant to be a bright light shining on it from the side. But your version has it's benefits. Humm
Not sure about the outline on the A. Looks a bit better, but still a bit jagged, though. I wonder if I should anti-alias the edges. :hmm:
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!