Desert Elves Edit

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Wussel

Re: Desert Elves Edit

Post by Wussel »

One more important fellow who likes to phrase like I know it all?

I really do not know Flameslash. I do understand if you do not want to give him hope for mainline. I do not understand why you are so keen of discouraging him to do something at all.

I still believe that it would be good if a desert elf archer and a green elf archer share some similarities. They are almost identical units. Of course the recolor should not involve the old sprite but the NEW sprite in my humble opinion.

I think Flameslash displayed decent recoloring skills with his sample. After many years people can improve. This is not a school yard where you could enjoy bullying people for 8 years or so.

Why should a desert elf archer look like say an argawaithy archer when she is almost identical to the green elf archer game wise?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Wussel wrote:Why should a desert elf archer look like say an argawaithy archer when she is almost identical to the green elf archer game wise?
Yes! I mean, they both live in forests, etc.

(Not.)

Art in mainline is not exclusively about portraying the gameplay aspect. Being desert elves, they will necessarily be different to pre-Fall forest elves in more regards than just skin color. For instance, they could wear clothes that can protect them from the scorching heat at day; without permanent access to metals, they may wield cruder weapons than their ancestors, possibly some of them acquired from fallen foes; etcetera.

The point is coming up with something original and fitting for the campaign instead of yet another recolored faction, otherwise we might as well keep the current desert elves forever.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Wussel wrote:I really do not know Flameslash. I do understand if you do not want to give him hope for mainline. I do not understand why you are so keen of discouraging him to do something at all.
Sorry Wussel, but I think you just misinterpret others' comments. Or make a big deal out of not much, perhaps... I think what you ask is just what they have done, even if they might have been a bit direct (which is perfectly fine if you ask me). Nobody said "Flameslash, you are an horrible artist and should leave this community immediately. If you go forward with your recolors, we are gonna ban you forever!". They just said "This will never go into mainline because [...]". Which is their call to make. Now I don't see anyone forbiding Flameslahs to continue in his endeavor. As I understand it, he himself resigned, thinking something along the lines of "Meh, if this work is not going into mainline, why bother?". Which is also fine. Shows that he either didn't really have the skill or will to make this project happen (skill to get them into mainline, or will to do 'em anyway because he really liked the idea that much). Which also is fine. It's his time and decision to make...
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth