Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
teugon

Hints for a newcomer in artworking

Post by teugon » December 14th, 2011, 10:52 pm

Hello there,

Let's just say that I would like to prove myself and being usefull.
So, I'm writing this post for I've not found out a thread where it was told how ppl take commit about artworks. I mean there is this thread http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... highlight=

anyway I would like to know:
-- who I have to talk with(or where I have to go) If I would like to sign for something;
-- what time restriction I'll have after have signed.

Dixie

Re: Hints for a newcomer in artworking

Post by Dixie » December 15th, 2011, 1:03 pm

Usually, the way things work around here, you find something you want to work on (and that needs working on, and that nobody is working on atm), than submit it for comments/approval/whatever on the forums. Depending on the success of the operation, you might be pointed towards other things that need doing, or pick up whatever suits you.

Two links you might find useful (dunno if they,re up to date):
Grand portrait list
Pending sprites redesigns
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper » December 15th, 2011, 2:21 pm

Well, what kind of art you want to work on? Portraits? Sprites? Animations? Story art? Terrain? Miscellaneous scenery? Effects? Attack icons? Can't give much recommendations otherwise.

The general way things work is as Dixie said. There's no specific deadlines you need to meet, but naturally getting things done as well as the quality is what ultimately matters, so for example if person A is taking a long time to finish a particular project while person B comes along and does the same thing a lot better, then in most cases it'd be B's work which would end up getting in. That said, people don't tend to step on each others' toes very often.

teugon

Post by teugon » December 15th, 2011, 10:41 pm

I would like to work on sprites, actually a dying animation. I've thought about something like spider-die-*.png series for I've not seen some monster unit having just 3 frame for animations or not even all animation (as just said the spider seems to miss a dying animation).

Becouse of I'm willing to use inkscape, would like to know if there is some kind of base .svg file which artworkers can use or I'll have to arrange a different way.

furthermore, I was wondering if the IRC channel is appropriate to discuss about those things too.

Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim » December 16th, 2011, 2:16 pm

You are aware of the fact that Wesnoth sprite art is pixel art, not vector art?
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!

teugon

Post by teugon » December 17th, 2011, 1:32 am

Crendgrim wrote:You are aware of the fact that Wesnoth sprite art is pixel art, not vector art?
Of course I'm.

Now, are you aware that an svg file can be rasterized, aren't you?

By the way I'm still waiting for:
I would like to work on sprites, actually a dying animation. I've thought about something like spider-die-*.png series for I've not seen some monster unit having just 3 frame for animations or not even all animation (as just said the spider seems to miss a dying animation).

furthermore, I was wondering if the IRC channel is appropriate to discuss about those things too.

beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut » December 17th, 2011, 1:53 am

The wesnoth style involves sprites that use few colors and no transparent pixels. You can't really get that by exporting an svg, so Inkscape is just the wrong tool. You have to use a paint program. Just about any paint program will work, but many sprite artists use GIMP.

Feel free to work on a dying animation for the spider. We strongly recommend doing a rough mockup first and submitting that to get feedback before you do all the work to make a final version.

There is nothing wrong with using the IRC channel for this, but more people read the forums.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide

teugon

Post by teugon » December 17th, 2011, 12:59 pm

[quote="beetlenaut"
Feel free to work on a dying animation for the spider. We strongly recommend doing a rough mockup first and submitting that to get feedback before you do all the work to make a final version.[/quote]

Should I post the mockup in this thread? Or --> http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=28609
Or somewhere else?

beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut » December 17th, 2011, 1:25 pm

Most artists have their own thread for posting artwork, and this can be yours. Post it right here! Change the title of the thread when you have something, so more people will come take a look. Be aware: "Art Contributions" is for art that is intended to go into the main game. Our standards are very high, so the criticism may be harsh. If you want nicer comments, make a new thread in "Art Workshop" for now.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide

teugon

Post by teugon » December 18th, 2011, 1:19 am

beetlenaut wrote:Most artists have their own thread for posting artwork, and this can be yours. Post it right here! Change the title of the thread when you have something, so more people will come take a look. Be aware: "Art Contributions" is for art that is intended to go into the main game. Our standards are very high, so the criticism may be harsh. If you want nicer comments, make a new thread in "Art Workshop" for now.
Thanks for all the informations, I'll keep this post as mine.

If criticism got a raison d'Être it's always well accepted, even if it would mean erase all and start again.

I'll change the title when ready.

rmj

Post by rmj » December 18th, 2011, 6:22 am

I hate those spiders. Make them die a painful death.
rmj

teugon

Post by teugon » December 27th, 2011, 4:20 pm

I'm wondering about this: In real life when a spider dies it end up being facing the floor with its back.
The design patterns for dying animation requires to face the floor with the head.

I've thought a lot about it, but for both approaches have theirs motivations I'm gonna ask you,
Am I supposed to follow the design pattern word by word?

beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut » December 27th, 2011, 9:40 pm

teugon wrote:The design patterns for dying animation requires to face the floor with the head.
Where did you see this? I can think of several dying animations that don't follow this rule, so it should be no problem to have the spider roll onto its back.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide

teugon

Post by teugon » December 28th, 2011, 6:51 pm

beetlenaut wrote:Where did you see this? I can think of several dying animations that don't follow this rule, so it should be no problem to have the spider roll onto its back.
I've seen it onto this thread -> http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... highlight=
Exactly: on second post, when talking about Dead Animations.
Now I'm not born speaking english but I think
The last frame should be of them lying forward facedown, and will double as a corpse frame
should contradict you.

Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman » December 28th, 2011, 6:58 pm

ok, that's a quote from Jetrel, so it is authoritative...

however I don't thinkg it needs to be interpreted that literally... what Jetrel meant was that the last frame should double as a corpse. the actual position of the corpse is probably not that important, and in the case of spiders it definitely makes more sense to have them on their back
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim