New bridges (bridge-castle-transitions, hanging bridge)

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
lurker
Art Contributor

Re: New try at a hanging bridge

Post by lurker »

zookeeper wrote:Looks good. Maybe I'm missing something, but the WML seems rather overly complicated.
Why? Well, not all of the features of the TUPLE* macros are needed right now, but as I said I am thinking forward to the underground stone bridge and possibly the regular stone bridge, too. Making the tuples dependent on what is south of the two main hexes allows me to show or hide the pillars depending on whether there is (cave) floor or abyss, for example.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

lurker wrote:
zookeeper wrote:Looks good. Maybe I'm missing something, but the WML seems rather overly complicated.
Why? Well, not all of the features of the TUPLE* macros are needed right now, but as I said I am thinking forward to the underground stone bridge and possibly the regular stone bridge, too. Making the tuples dependent on what is south of the two main hexes allows me to show or hide the pillars depending on whether there is (cave) floor or abyss, for example.
Right, I suppose it's warranted and makes sense in that case.
lurker
Art Contributor

Re: Bridge-Castle Transitions (was: New try at a hanging bri

Post by lurker »

Hello,

I have already threatened to try to convert the basic stone bridge back to the old cutting and perhaps fix some of the issues it has in the process. Now, in a bid to perhaps bring this into mainline before 1.10, I have started work on it.

First step was to recut the bridge pieces so they would work with the new macros. With only 8 images per direction I can replicate the current behavior (mainline cutting needs 14). That alone is a change for the better, I think.

This also replicates the layering glitches which are there from the very beginning:
castle-bridge-problem.png
castle-bridge-problem.png (72.32 KiB) Viewed 5721 times
A big part of the problem is that the bridge is on layer -80, while the castles seem to be on layer 0. However that cannot be changed for all cases, because the situation where a castle sits at the endpoints of the bridge needs that part of the bridge to be on a lower layer:
castle-bridge-ends.png
castle-bridge-ends.png (142.27 KiB) Viewed 5721 times
The nice thing is that with the new cutting each of the three problems affects only exactly one image (the main part, the northern or the southern ending), which makes them easier to fix. The first step is to put the bridge images on layer 0 except when there is a castle on the end. This does not even increase the WML line count because the ending under a castle needs a special image anyway. The interesting part of the WML is:

{NEW:BRIDGE_MAIN_L *^Bsx\ *^Bsx/ *^Bsx| * * 0 stonebridge}
{NEW:BRIDGE_NORTH_L *^Bsx\ *^Bsx/ *^Bsx| (!,*^Bsx\,*^Bsx/,*^Bsx|,C*,K*,W*,S*) * * 0 stonebridge}
{NEW:BRIDGE_NORTH_L *^Bsx\ *^Bsx/ *^Bsx| (!,*^Bsx\,*^Bsx/,*^Bsx|,!,C*,K*) * * -80 stonebridge-short}
{NEW:BRIDGE_NORTH_L *^Bsx\ *^Bsx/ *^Bsx| (!,*^Bsx\,*^Bsx/,*^Bsx|,!,W*,S*) * * 0 stonebridge-water}
{NEW:BRIDGE_SOUTH_L *^Bsx\ *^Bsx/ *^Bsx| (!,*^Bsx\,*^Bsx/,*^Bsx|,C*,K*,W*,S*) * * 0 stonebridge}
{NEW:BRIDGE_SOUTH_L *^Bsx\ *^Bsx/ *^Bsx| (!,*^Bsx\,*^Bsx/,*^Bsx|,!,C*,K*) * * -80 stonebridge-short}
{NEW:BRIDGE_SOUTH_L *^Bsx\ *^Bsx/ *^Bsx| (!,*^Bsx\,*^Bsx/,*^Bsx|,!,W*,S*) * * 0 stonebridge-water}

and the result looks like this:
almost there
almost there
castle-bridge-fix1.png (82.37 KiB) Viewed 5721 times
The bridge turns out to be a bit too high up. Pushing the whole bridge 5 pixels down fixes that, too:
castle-bridge-fix2.png
castle-bridge-fix2.png (333.74 KiB) Viewed 5721 times
Now, before I finish this up: Does this change have a chance to go into mainline? I think it can be considered a bugfix and it does not change translatable strings.

Thanks

Lurker
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

... and that is probably a no. :roll:
I finished the work anyway, because I hope to get it in later. It works better than the current one with castles behind, see the following and compare to mainline:
castle-bridge.png
castle-bridge.png (303.82 KiB) Viewed 5497 times
Attached is the complete package with stone and hanging bridge, to test them out. I intend to finish the underground stone bridge and upload that, too. Maybe if there are three of them using the same WML macros, it is easier to get them in. :whistle:

Thanks

Lurker
Attachments
new_bridges.zip
(308.7 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

Hello,

I added the chasm bridge. Somehow I lost the original .svg file, so I had to use the already existing .pngs, added a little noise and redid the broken endings.
chasm-bridges.png
I did not care to make them behave too well with castles (not like the regular stone bridge above), because the most important of them, the dwarven castle, is much too large anyway. It looks like this:
dwarven_castle.png
dwarven_castle.png (181.97 KiB) Viewed 5365 times
, but only if the following patch is applied to mainline:

Code: Select all

kuno@progress:~/Downloads/wesnoth/data/core> svn diff terrain-graphics.cfg
Index: terrain-graphics.cfg
===================================================================
--- terrain-graphics.cfg        (Revision 52358)
+++ terrain-graphics.cfg        (Arbeitskopie)
@@ -574,8 +574,8 @@
 {WALL_TRANSITION3     (Cud,Kud)      Ql*                  Qx*                  unwalkable/dcastle-lava-chasm}

{NEW:WALL2            (Cud,Kud)      X*                   (!,Cud,Kud,X*)       castle/dwarven-castle-wall}
-{NEW:WALL2            (Cud,Kud)      Ql*                  (!,Cud,Kud,Ql*)      unwalkable/dcastle-lava}
-{NEW:WALL2            (Cud,Kud)      Qx*                  (!,Cud,Kud,Qx*)      unwalkable/dcastle-chasm}
+{NEW:WALL2            (Cud,Kud)      (!,*^B*,!,Ql*)       (!,Cud,Kud,Ql*)      unwalkable/dcastle-lava}
+{NEW:WALL2            (Cud,Kud)      (!,*^B*,!,Qx*)       (!,Cud,Kud,Qx*)      unwalkable/dcastle-chasm}

{NEW:WALL             (Cud,Kud)      (!,Cud,Kud,X*)                            castle/dwarven-castle}
Thanks

Lurker
Attachments
new_bridges.2.zip
(567.26 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

Hello,

in the newest installment of my dramatic monologue about castles and bridges today I bring you an improvement for the basic stone bridge ending directly in a castle (or keep) at the northern shore. Left is the status quo, right is the new ending. The diagonal pieces have not improved much - the castle walls and the bridge are not aligned with each other and there is nothing I can do about that. The n-s bridge however sucks much less now.
castle2.png
The behaviour with encampment, dwarven and orcisch castles is unchanged - the former is too small, the other two too large.

Thanks

Lurker

edit: replaced the zip file: Improved the ne-ending, and it turns out the new endings work well with encampment, too
castle3.png
Attachments
new_bridges.3.zip
(563.88 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

These are coming along nicely! The last version, with the 3 bridges coming off the structure, seems off- like the curvature of the side walls aren't lining up or are the wrong height. Something feels off to me.
alluton

Post by alluton »

If this is the latest hanging wooden bridge,I must say that any unit doing combat in it have to be crazy. Tought i dont know any solution to it.
Attachments
hanging6a.png
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

Crow_T wrote:These are coming along nicely! The last version, with the 3 bridges coming off the structure, seems off- like the curvature of the side walls aren't lining up or are the wrong height. Something feels off to me.
Hm, what do you mean exactly? The diagonal bridges are off when they end in castles. They are misaligned to them and there is nothing I can do about that. If you meant something else a picture would help.
alluton wrote:If this is the latest hanging wooden bridge,I must say that any unit doing combat in it have to be crazy.
Wesnoths units are fearless ^_^. But in a sense you are right: Giving the same defense on such bridges as on a firm ground may be a bit unrealistic. But it's not the worst offender in this regard.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Here is a quick edit, I basically rotated the end of the left one a bit and adjusted the rail heights. I understand this particular edit may not fit into the hexes properly, but the angles are what I'm emphasizing.
Attachments
castle_edit.png
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

Crow_T wrote:Here is a quick edit, I basically rotated the end of the left one a bit and adjusted the rail heights. I understand this particular edit may not fit into the hexes properly, but the angles are what I'm emphasizing.
The angles are fixed. If push comes to shove I potentially could do something to the rail heights, but the main problem is that the castle walls cut the bridge in an odd angle so the further side has more of its curvature left than the nearer side. I'll have another look at it, maybe there is something that can be done but do not hold your breath.
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

Hello,

once again about the bridge ending in a castle. Here you see three different versions of the transition. Left is the current one, ending in a downward slope. In the second one the bridge runs straight into the castle. The rightmost one starts with a downward slope and ends straight. Which one is best?
bridge_castle_compare.png
Thanks

Lurker
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

I settled for the old transitions. I would have preferred the down-then-straight (the rightmost) variant for the one hex bridge, but it looks surprisingly bad for longer bridges. What I did add is gates for the diagonal bridges also.
stonebridge-castle.png
And I present you a first tentative version of stonebridge over lava chasm. (Please ignore the glitch at the south-east ending, I am aware of it)
lava-chasm-1.png
lava-chasm-1.png (143.6 KiB) Viewed 4689 times
Captain_Rage

Post by Captain_Rage »

Shouldn't the texture of the stonebridge be more lit up by the lava? When it comes to the stonebrigde going over water/swamp/chasm the water/swamp/chasm aren't giving off any or much light, but it looks strange when the lava isn't casting any light at all on the stones (especially the ones closest to the transition between the lava and stone).
Compare the walls of the gorge to the texture of the stonebridge, when the stonebrigde goes over the chasm and the lava, respectively.
These are my non-artistic observations atleast.
lurker
Art Contributor

Post by lurker »

Captain_Rage wrote:Shouldn't the texture of the stonebridge be more lit up by the lava?[...]
You may be right. Still experimenting (only on the middle pillar)
lava-chasm-2.png
lava-chasm-2.png (69.06 KiB) Viewed 4629 times