NR Portraits

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Kraus

Re: NR Portraits

Post by Kraus »

As for what I can tell from the lines, I like this better. :) A copletely different approach, but overall I think this is looking pretty cool. Especially the anatomy works a lot better now, for what I can see.
"Oh, to the hades with the manners - he's a complete [censored], and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De'Arnise
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Not regarding the quality of this picture, I think it's funny to see two things happening at the same time:
The first is that the HttT portraits are being reworked and the old picture of Li'sar is replaced by a no-sexy one. And the second is that only a few days later a portrait for NR shows up which is meant to be sexy. It's just funny to see that happen at once. ;)
I think that some of the this-is-to-sexy-reactions may be caused by the changes to Li'sar.

And regarding the new linework, I'll second Kraus that the anatomy looks much better now.

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Even if it won't look sexy in line form, I can still tell this version looks much more feminine than the previous, and I think most face issues were adressed, good job!

OT: About the Li'sar ting, btw, I think these are very different cases and the sexiness is just a peripheral matter. Li'sar is supposed to be some kind of knight, a fighter and leader of battles, while Elenia is some kind of druid: the outfits are totally unrelated...
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Valkier
Art Contributor

Post by Valkier »

Posting some progress. Will be updating this post as the night goes on. Just wanted to give those interested a better understanding of what is going on in her outfit.

Things I am unhappy with: It's a little saturated in some areas, particularly the green. May also go with a different color metal, but I understand elves can only use mithril... whatever color that is. Not enough leather to give off the assassin vibe I was going for, and what's there is not dark enough I don't think. Hair will need a lot of retouching since even in blob form it's not working for me shape wise. Some other things on my mind as well, but I'll keep plugging away.

Keep comments to anatomy (facial structure, arm length, etc) or costume. Rendering isn't done yet so I'd appreciate waiting till I say I think it is till you tell me what needs improvement there.
Attachments
Elenia.jpg
Win if you can. Lose if you must. But always cheat.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Sadly I am not able to provide a worthwhile paintover, but I feel like her hips are a bit too large on our left... :hmm: Either that, or she is a bit flat in that area, but making her rounder would make her a bit fat for an elf, I think...
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
JAP
Art Contributor

Post by JAP »

You could use whatever colour you want, in reality bare metal armour pieces was rare.
The tower has a whole collection of wildly painted pikemans armour in such patterns as white and green stripes, red and white checks, and even one suit with multi colour polka dots.

http://www.livesteelarmor.com/hm/hf.html

Well i don’t know about the multi colour polka dots :wink: but perhaps a dark purple Lacquer or something else would fit nicely.
AI
Developer

Re: NR http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=33Portr

Post by AI »

Mithril (or whatever) as worn by Kitty's Sylph: http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/wesnoth/trun ... iew=markup
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I could be wrong on this, but the head seems a bit large compared to the torso and the neck is at an odd angle. Also, I'm not sure what green material is covering her right arm but it would need to be very flexible or thin. As for the overall design, it looks very nice.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
TheCripple

Post by TheCripple »

Look at her right hand. Now, go ahead and find a broom or something, and match that pose. What you get is an extremely odd hold that is highly and visibly uncomfortable, and because of that looks rather unnatural. If the arm and hand didn't curl around the staff quite so far, or if her elbow were a bit further out from the body and her grip slightly moved down with everything in between being where it would have to be, the pose woul dlook much more natural.

Other than that its just fine, and a very nice design.
Valkier
Art Contributor

Post by Valkier »

TheCripple wrote:Look at her right hand. Now, go ahead and find a broom or something, and match that pose. What you get is an extremely odd hold that is highly and visibly uncomfortable, and because of that looks rather unnatural. If the arm and hand didn't curl around the staff quite so far, or if her elbow were a bit further out from the body and her grip slightly moved down with everything in between being where it would have to be, the pose woul dlook much more natural.

Other than that its just fine, and a very nice design.
Yeah, I noticed it last night. It's not a terribly difficult fix, but I am currently trying to fix the issue where the portrait looks, "painted on wet paper," as Shadowmaster so eloquently put it. I'll fix the hand when I get to that area.

So I worked here and there on her. Cleaned up some areas, changed some materials. I'll probably end up putting more straps or something around her waist since the green dress there is bothering me. As Sapient pointed out, the head does seem a tad large, and some facial features just aren't quite *there* yet. Hair still has had almost no meaningful work put in to it so... yeah. I think I'm getting a much better feel for the leather however, so there's a win at least! Anyhow, should be able to finish this up tomorrow. Then it's on to Morvin and.. crazy mage guy whose name escapes me!
Attachments
Elenia.jpg
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

Nice to see a new one shaping up! But what has become of Talin?! I would very much like to see one of this guys really finished up to a state that would be commitable to the game instead of tons of wip's…

Anyways. There's already been a lot said about Elenia and I hope I don't re-iterate too much!

Anatomical crits:
Her head is a tad too big, shrinking it just a few percent should do the trick. Overall her face is a bit full for an elf, her nose is very fittingly slender but the cheekbones are very wide. Also her skintone is very, very dark for an wesnothian elf. Her front hand is a bit small. And her rear leg, I assume it is the free standing one, should standing at an other angle than the supporting one, a bit more to the front - by that you would also get rid of the rubber-like quality of her figure. But the major problem is the rear arm, actually I can't read the neck/shoulder-area at all. The upper arm needs to stand out more resulting in a more upright position for the lower one (which is too long right now), also the fingers wouldn't lie perfectly parallel next to each other. Generally the pose would get more natural if the weapon's stick wouldn't be so damn ruler vertical, get it at a slight angle!

Costume /elvish-ness crits:
She is still supposed to be kind of a nature-magical assassin, right? As you know elvish magic doesn't work well with metal - the metal bits on the costume need to be of an other material (bone, bleached or dyed leather, whatever). The shape of a lot of the leather and metal parts (I love that the costume consists of lots of little parts in general!) seems very technical/geometrical and "human" to me. Make them appear more elvish by making them more floral, organic and flowing, perhaps work in shapes of plants or leaves if you like. The design of the weapon is very, very bland… Decorate the pole! Whether have stuff sprout out of it or carve it. The flower at the blade feels kind of ironic to me… And elvish eyes are grey (not green, but I may have mentioned already once or twice)!
Minor points: The belt seems to consist of one continuous loop, the free hanging end is missing. What are the silver-ish stripes across her belly supposed to be, additional knives?

I hope that wasn't too much ;)
Valkier
Art Contributor

Post by Valkier »

kitty wrote:Nice to see a new one shaping up! But what has become of Talin?! I would very much like to see one of this guys really finished up to a state that would be commutable to the game instead of tons of wip's…

Anyways. There's already been a lot said about Elenia and I hope I don't re-iterate too much!

Anatomical crits:
Her head is a td too big, shrinking it just a few percent should do the trick. Overall her face is a bit full for an elf, her nose is very fittingly slender but the cheekbones are very wide. Also her skintone is very, very dark for an wesnothian elf. Her front hand is a bit small. And her rear leag, I assume it is the free standing one, should standing at an other angle than the supporting one, a bit more to the front - by that you would also get rid of the rubber-like quality of her figure.But the major problem is the rear arm, actually I can't read the neck/shoulder-area at all. The upper arm needs to stand out more resulting in a more upright position for the lower one (which is too long right now), also the fingers wouldn't lie perfectly parallel next to each other. Generally the pose would get more natural if the weapon's stick wouldn't be so damn ruler vertical, get it at a slight angle!

Costume /elvish-ness crits:
She is still supposed to be kind of a nature-magical assassin, right? As you know elvish magic doesn't work well with metal - the metal bits on the costume need to be of an other material (bone, bleached or dyed leather, whatever). The shape of a lot of the leather and metal parts (I love that the costume consists of lots of little parts in general!) seems very technical/geometrical and "human" to me. Make them appear more elvish by making them more floral, organic and flowing, perhaps work in shapes of plants or leaves if you like. The design of the weapon is very, very bland… Decorate the pole! Weather have stuff sprout out of it or carve it. The flower at the blade feels kind of ironic to me… And elvish eyes are grey (not green, but I may have mentioned already once or twice)!
Minor points: The belt seems to consist of one continuous loop, the free hanging end is missing. What are the silver-ish stripes across her belly supposed to be, additional knives?

I hopw that wasn't too much ;)
Sorry for the lack of updates. Apparently I am to help my family move from one house to another. Lucky me, right?

I'll respond to your points in bullet form just to get the responses done as quickly and to the point as possible. If they seem harsh, they aren't meant to be. They're just brief to save everyone time.

- Could never remember if it was the entire iris that was grey, or just the pupil. I'll change that.
- Head has been mentioned several times. Face isn't even done yet, though she's at least looking like she has skin now.
- Again, mentioned more than once, I'll most likely be redrawing the staff arm. More than just boring position at work there.
- ESR did mention I should show a bit more neck and remove the metal plate on the front of her. I'll play around with making it leather or just removing it completely.
- Flowing designs can be arranged. Sounds like fun
- Really no idea what you mean by the belts hanging end not being there. Paintover would be appreciated.
- Silverish strips? If you mean the parts that are down the center of her torso and off to the side of the leather on to green, those are tiny belt buckles to try to give her more interest instead of just dirty cracked leather. If those aren't what you meant, may need some red circles to point them out. She currently does not have any additional weapons.
- So overall push the fantasy a bit more? I am more than willing to do this. :D
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

You get my sympathy for the moving and perhaps even a cookie if you finish Tallin :wink:
- Silverish strips? If you mean the parts that are down the center of her torso and off to the side of the leather on to green, those are tiny belt buckles to try to give her more interest instead of just dirty cracked leather. If those aren't what you meant, may need some red circles to point them out. She currently does not have any additional weapons.
No, I can read the belt buckles - I mean the two diagonal gray thingies that run from below her breasts to her crotch.
- Really no idea what you mean by the belts hanging end not being there. Paintover would be appreciated.
That's honestly really minor but I'll try to explain my point again. A belt is a stripe of leather with a buckle at one end (that's the end I can see on Elenia) and the other end (which is often a bit pointy) is nowadays mostly plugged in the belt loops but since they didn't have those in the middle ages it is whether knotted or hangs free - where is this end of Elenia's belt?
em3

Post by em3 »

kitty wrote:That's honestly really minor but I'll try to explain my point again. A belt is a stripe of leather with a buckle at one end (that's the end I can see on Elenia) and the other end (which is often a bit pointy) is nowadays mostly plugged in the belt loops but since they didn't have those in the middle ages it is whether knotted or hangs free - where is this end of Elenia's belt?
It's twisted around the end of the belt with buckle and wraps behind her right hip. The knot thing is made from the part of belt you are looking for. :eng:
ride on shooting star
Valkier
Art Contributor

Post by Valkier »

Pretty much finished at this point. Hair still needs done, and I'm not quite happy with her skin just yet. The spear arm is readfully wrong at the moment as well, so I'll be fixing that tomorrow. Otherwise, I like where she's at right now.

As for Tallin, that [censored] can hold on a couple more days. I want to get this girl and the lich worked out a bit better before I worry about making the minor tweaks to Tallin.
Attachments
Elenia2.jpg