Dead Great Tree (split from Terrain Info & Links)

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
gleedads

Dead Great Tree (split from Terrain Info & Links)

Post by gleedads »

Hey, I did a dead great tree for the campaign that I'm working on right now. I know very little about making terrain tiles, so I'm going to bet this is very crudely done.

Here's the terrain.cfg entry

Code: Select all

[terrain_type]
    symbol_image=great-tree-tile_dead
    id=great_tree_dead
    name= _ "Dead Great Tree"
    string=^Fed
    default_base=Gg
    aliasof=^Fet
    editor_group=sec_front
[/terrain_type]
And here's the terrain_graphics.cfg entry

Code: Select all

# Dead Great-tree
#33% 17% 50%
{OVERLAY_P               *^Fed                                  33                 great-tree_dead3}
{OVERLAY_P               *^Fed                                  25                 great-tree_dead2}
{OVERLAY_P               *^Fed                                  100                great-tree_dead1}
And here are the graphics
great-tree-tile_dead.png
great-tree-tile_dead.png (11.03 KiB) Viewed 4375 times
great-tree_dead1.png
great-tree_dead1.png (15.58 KiB) Viewed 4375 times
great-tree_dead2.png
great-tree_dead2.png (16.99 KiB) Viewed 4375 times
great-tree_dead3.png
great-tree_dead3.png (16.79 KiB) Viewed 4375 times
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Dead Great Tree (split from Terrain Info & Links)

Post by Iris »

The sticky at the top where you originally posted this was not really meant for posting and giving feedback on artwork. I have split your post accordingly and added code tags to your WML chunks.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Scaeb

Post by Scaeb »

homonculus also has a dead great tree: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... ee#p478431 (and following ones)

I like his more for the finer detail, but I like yours more for it's dead looks (his doesn't really look dead for me, just leafless, like in winter... but it's coniferous!)
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Thanks shadowmaster.

This is a general invitation: Feel free to PM me regarding terrain related topics. That's the best way to get my attention, there are too many non-terrain art threads for me to find all the relevant stuff. No need to post in thread dedicated to something else.

Gleedads:
As a general rule the terrain is softer than the units. Your branches look like they were added with a 100% hard edge brush. That's generally not what you need to make stuff that matches the rest of the terrain. Try using a soft edged brush, and sometimes a lower opacity, especially on the tips of branches. Also for the bigger ones, you can work in some shading, and color/value variations instead of blasting in straight lines of pure color.

Scaeb: Those dead trees are awesome--- why haven't i committed them yet? :?
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
gleedads

Post by gleedads »

Whoops! Sorry for posting those in an inappropriate place! And thanks for the feedback!
Scaeb

Post by Scaeb »

Eleazar, as I wrote on homonculus' topic, I think his trees do not look dead, but simply leafless (as in winter, without snow)... but this tree should be evergreen, so it does not make sense for me. I'd really like to see the two concepts (detail of homonculus, brances and colour of this thread) combined.

I _especially_ love the lightning-strucken (I suppose... charred anyway) dead great tree from this thread. That could even used (after some refinement) in the 1st scenario of the UtBS campaign (the holy tree on the Island of the desert elves, which was destroyed when the sky was raining fire).
Scaeb

Post by Scaeb »