Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Artifex

Klingon Localization Thread

Post by Artifex »

Yes, Klingon.

I was directed to post putative localized images in a thread on the board so that the community could take a gander at them. Here's the Battle for Wesnoth logo for your consideration; do I need to change anything?

Also, be advised that the seemingly randomly capitalized letters are actually not random, and are supposed to be this way. Marc Okrand's romanization of Klingon is case-sensitive (e.g., q represents a distinct sound from Q). I don't care for that aspect of its orthography, but that's the official standard, and I'm stuck with it.

Thank you.
Attachments
Putative BfW logo localized for tlhIngan Hol.
Putative BfW logo localized for tlhIngan Hol.
logo.png (357.31 KiB) Viewed 4718 times
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Re: Klingon Localization Thread

Post by Zerovirus »

:|

Something feels off, about the spaces in weSnotvaD. Seriously, you're going to translate the whole thing into Klingon? Where does that even fall under copyright?
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

I'm no legal expert, so I won't comment on the copyright aspects.
However, shouldn't there at least be a BfW translation created for Klingon before you get around to image localization? :o That's typically the order it goes in. Translation created ---> Translators translate ---> Image localization. If the game doesn't have a Klingon translation (which it doesn't as of now), then your image localization will never become a part of the game.
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
Atz
Art Contributor

Post by Atz »

When I saw "Klingon image localisation", my first thought was that you were going to edit all the portraits so they have ridged foreheads.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Mountain_King wrote:However, shouldn't there at least be a BfW translation created for Klingon before you get around to image localization?
He actually came up with the idea on IRC. He’s the translator.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Mountain_King
Translator

Post by Mountain_King »

Ooooh. :geek: I seee. There aren't .po files for it yet, that's why I was confused.

Also, the "D" seems to have to much space between it and the letters before it. Is that how it's supposed to be?
Projects: Ice Age Fun, Japhel's Journey (same link), Shameless Crossover Excuse (Maintainer), and Age of Dinosaurs!
Is cothabhálach an aistriúcháin Gaeilge mé.
EXTERMINATE!!!!
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

It’s okay, everyone needs a little inspiration to get a project going.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

I did a bit of poking around, and there does not appear to be any actual copyright on the language itself, at least none that is enforced. There are already published non-licensed works on the market and even an official Klingon language version of wikipedia, and of the Biblical New Testament.

Mind you I can't actually prove legal status one way or another, but it seems safe enough.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Q'apla!

I wonder how many people would actually use a Klingon translation. Did you receive any feedback yet Artifex?

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

HomerJ wrote:Q'apla!

I wonder how many people would actually use a Klingon translation. Did you receive any feedback yet Artifex?
I think this is a cool project and an interesting idea, especially considering that I love Star Trek. However, practically, I would never use it. I haven't even put enough effort to learn a 2nd real language, yet alone learning a fake one so I can play a game.