Goblin Spearman Run Cycle

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
em3

Re: Goblin Spearman Run Cycle

Post by em3 »

There was some tutorial on the forums somewhere suggesting to tweak pixel colors just a bit instead of moving them - to add an illusion of movement.
ride on shooting star
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

So, I've done my last fiddling with this animation. Barring any serious issues brought up by an art dev (which should hopefully not happen at this point in the process), I'm washing my hands of this particular animation for good.

I'd be really happy if this could be committed before the next stable branch debuts. :)
Attachments
spearman-se-run.gif
spearman-se-run.gif (3.41 KiB) Viewed 4958 times
goblin-spearman-run-se.zip
(127.81 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Looks good to go to me.

Unfortunately, though, I'm not going to have time to commit it in the near future, as I start a new job on Wednesday.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

Since thespaceinvader says he didn't have enough time, I've taken it upon myself to commit it on his behalf.

I picked a frame length that prevents visible sliding at the end of each cycle. Someone else may want to adjust the speed.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

@tsi: No problem, good luck with the new job! :)

@Alarantalara: Oh, you've got commit access? :D Sweet, thanks!
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Thanks Alarantalara.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
iLeeT_PeeP

Post by iLeeT_PeeP »

Just a thought... :|

This is my opinion. But making unit run animations is well... In my eyes... A huge waste of time and effort that could go elsewhere... :roll:

Wesnoth 1.8 is perfectly fine without run animations... Does not seem necessary at all and has 0 impact on gameplay.
My MaPs... PeeP's Maps
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

.. and you say this right after artisticdude made a beautiful rendition of the run animation? The world these days..
No, seriously. That was very unthoughtful/unsensitive of you.

I'd say artisticdude did a fantastic job with this little guy. The running brings him to life somehow for me.
TheCripple

Post by TheCripple »

iLeeT_PeeP wrote:Wesnoth 1.8 is perfectly fine without run animations... Does not seem necessary at all and has 0 impact on gameplay.
But it looks more professional with them.
iLeeT_PeeP

Post by iLeeT_PeeP »

monochromatic wrote:.. and you say this right after artisticdude made a beautiful rendition of the run animation? The world these days..
No, seriously. That was very unthoughtful/unsensitive of you.

I'd say artisticdude did a fantastic job with this little guy. The running brings him to life somehow for me.

I agree... The run animation he created looks very nice. Not denying that...
My MaPs... PeeP's Maps
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Then why are you posting that?
The art developers decided that having all kinds of animation for all mainline units would be nice, and the art contributors liked that idea — and thus we now have so many awesome animations in 1.9. Where should the time go "elsewhere"? Don't forget that a) developers and artists aren't the same (so, an artist making art makes somehow sense to me), and b) that they're doing this whole stuff voluntarily, and that it's a great thing to have the new animations around.
Did you ever look at the 1.9 releases, with e.g. the new horse animations, or even the little saurians? It's certainly adding much to Wesnoth, and I would do anything but calling this a "waste of time".

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
TheCripple

Post by TheCripple »

Crendgrim wrote:Don't forget that a) developers and artists aren't the same (so, an artist making art makes somehow sense to me), and b) that they're doing this whole stuff voluntarily, and that it's a great thing to have the new animations around.
For that matter, some of the people who can do sprites and sprite animation and such can't do portraits, and vice versa. Some people can only do terrains, or portraits, or sprites, or icons, or maybe they can do two of the four, so on and so forth. Its not like there is some pool of omnicompetent artists who can just be assigned to do whatever art they want, and animations are pretty big for sprites right now.