Turin's rant on drake's size...

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
tigrezno

Post by tigrezno »

This is the result of different graphical designers/styles. Graphical rules should have done time ago.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

tigrezno wrote:This is the result of different graphical designers/styles. Graphical rules should have done time ago.
this was my point.

must we get offtopic in every thread? :roll:
it doesn't matter whether drakes are skilled or not, the topic at hand is how big the graphics are.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

I don't understand the problem. Using the scaling method, drakes average 8 feet tall. That's fine! They're as tall as wookies.

Is your complaint that:
1. height correlates to power, so the drakes as a current exception should be scaled down to fit their power [yoda]judge me by my size do you, hmm?[/yoda] or powered up to fit their scale?
or
2. in the Wesnoth world, drakes are not really 8 feet tall?

I think the relative height of drakes to the monsters is irrelevant. In Wesnoth, ogres avg 6'8". Yetis are 9'4. Drakes are 8'. They are what they are as prescribed by the HDIC. Unless you're hung up on a power correlation, I don't see the issue. If drake size is decreed to be otherwise, then a change is in order.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
tigrezno

Post by tigrezno »

After all "wesnoth is not about realism" (tm)
atoi

Post by atoi »

I think they're fine. I expect Drakes to be larger.
atoi
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

scott wrote:I don't understand the problem. Using the scaling method, drakes average 8 feet tall. That's fine! They're as tall as wookies.

Is your complaint that:
1. height correlates to power, so the drakes as a current exception should be scaled down to fit their power [yoda]judge me by my size do you, hmm?[/yoda] or powered up to fit their scale?
or
2. in the Wesnoth world, drakes are not really 8 feet tall?

I think the relative height of drakes to the monsters is irrelevant. In Wesnoth, ogres avg 6'8". Yetis are 9'4. Drakes are 8'. They are what they are as prescribed by the HDIC. Unless you're hung up on a power correlation, I don't see the issue. If drake size is decreed to be otherwise, then a change is in order.
Agreed.
Shade

There is very little

Post by Shade »

There is very little 'positive' that can come out of this thread.
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

tigrezno wrote:After all "wesnoth is not about realism" (tm)
which is why drakes should be smaller...

unless you want to argue that trolls are less than 8 feet tall, which i think is absurd... size in wesnoth is not linear. it IMHO is dependent on unit power. a large unit provides a feeling of power to the player. so why should a first level drake be portrayed as more powerful than a second-third level troll?

(BTW... the drake burner is actually only 2 pxls shorter than the Yeti. its the drake clasher and fighter who bring the average down, and i don't have a problem with their gfx. i have a problem with the burner and glider graphics).
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
tigrezno

Post by tigrezno »

I agree with you turin, drakes are bigger, but think on it, All of them are bigger, changing it will take lot of work (for neo as main drake developer)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

tigrezno wrote:I agree with you turin, drakes are bigger, but think on it, All of them are bigger, changing it will take lot of work (for neo as main drake developer)
actually, only the burner and glider (level 1) are too big. hte third levels are OK, IMO, because they don't change in size as they go up, really. actually, it might be possible to reuse current level 1 burners for level 2, use level 2 for level 3, and redo level 1. then everything would be fine...

i actually like the sky drake image, its the glider (its devancement) i think is too big. that, again, is only one image.
The World of Orbivm
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

I completely agree with turin that he should make the drakes smaller. I eagerly await his revised graphics :)
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Smaller level one drakes would be nice.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Well if you think in game graphics are bad, make new ones to replace em; I have no trouble atm.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Darth Fool wrote:I completely agree with turin that he should make the drakes smaller. I eagerly await his revised graphics :)
i'll do it. seriously. i HATE the current burner graphics.

(and i don't think it will be that hard to make them a bit smaller, which is the only problem with them).
The World of Orbivm