Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
turin
Lord of the East

Turin's rant on drake's size...

Post by turin »

[rant]
let us compare the height of the drake units with that of other races.

heights (in pixels, measured from foot to highest point on the body. weapons don't count)

drakes
glider=52
clasher=42
fighter=46
burner=50
average=47.5 pxls

humans
archer=32
spearman=34
fencer=38
heavy infantry=34
mage=33
dark adept=32
thief=37
thug=37
poacher=35
footpad=38
average=35

orcs
grunt=45
archer=32
assassin=35
average=37.3 pxls

elves
fighter=38
archer=38
shaman=38
average=38 pxls

dwarves
fighter=29
thunderer=29
ulfserker (by neoriceisgood)=33
average=30.3

undead
skeleton=39
s. archer=38
soulless=37
average=38

assorted monster-like units
troll=45
yeti=56
ogre=40
average=47

does no one else see a problem here?!? most races (other than dwarves, which don't count) are, on average, ~37 pixels in height. Drakes average ~47. drakes are, on average, taller than monster units such as the troll, yeti and ogre.

[/rant]

i know that came off sounding jerkish, but i have mentioned this several times and have never gotten a clear reason why, just "drakes are big". well monster units are big too, and should IMHO be bigger than drakes! why shouldn't they be? >(

on a side note, I am suprised by how small many of the lawful human units are... if the mage, bowman, spearman and heavy infantry had been bigger, humans would have averaged ~37 also (probably 36).
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
AT

well....

Post by AT »

Drakes are big!
Gandalf-"I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udun. Go back to the Shadow. You cannot pass!"
AT- "That sounds like more trouble than it's worth."
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

You might have a point, but I hardly see this as something that should have a high priority for now.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

...and if something is to be done with it there need to be spesific rules for height of units based on some predefined rules: unit of type A should have height within [X .. Y] or something like that. Someone has to propose this, then there will be countless of days of useless arguing over them etc etc :)
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

Well "monsters" aren't a coherent group like the others. You forgot the scorpions (which are much smaller) and the likes of sea serpent and dragon which are much bigger.

I don't think it's wrong for drakes to be somewhere close to the average size of monster-class units.

Then again, I think there IS something wrong about having drakes in Wesnoth at all :wink:
Roel

Post by Roel »

I like it the way it is
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Rhuvaen wrote:which are much smaller
Rhuvaen wrote:which are much bigger.
You mean shorter and taller. :)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Rhuvaen wrote:Well "monsters" aren't a coherent group like the others. You forgot the scorpions (which are much smaller) and the likes of sea serpent and dragon which are much bigger.
i didn't claim to have chosen all of the monsters. i chose the ones that SHOULD be the most large and hulking, for land creatures.

I didn't choose the dragon or sea serpent because the comparison would have been off, seeing as how neoriceisgood drew those too... ;)
Rhuvaen wrote:I don't think it's wrong for drakes to be somewhere close to the average size of monster-class units.
i think its wrong for the base drake (the burner) to be taller than the level 2 troll or ogre. Those are both around 45 pxls tall, burner is 50
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
autolycus

Post by autolycus »

I guess my point would be that the icons represent units, and the relative size is immaterial. Nobody thinks that a blood bat is the same size as a sea serpent, for example. If we are going to obsess about it, there are two ways we can simplify:

1) Have a rule that ALL unit pics should be 48x48. This stresses the point that a unit pic is an icon representing a unit, not the creature itself.

2) Have a standard scale (e.g. 1' = 30cm = 6 pixels). A 6' tall human is now 36 pixels and a yeti at 56 pixels would be 9'4" tall. This would explain why some monsters can only be shown neck up (e.g. sea serpents). This would satisfy people who want have a better intuitive feel to the game (although it doesn't really affect combat effectiveness etc).
as kingfishers catch fire
so dragonflies draw flame
-GMH
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

autolycus wrote:2) Have a standard scale (e.g. 1' = 30cm = 6 pixels). A 6' tall human is now 36 pixels and a yeti at 56 pixels would be 9'4" tall. This would explain why some monsters can only be shown neck up (e.g. sea serpents). This would satisfy people who want have a better intuitive feel to the game (although it doesn't really affect combat effectiveness etc).
Good idea.

How can you be 7'11" and NOT be much more powerful than that 4'10" Dwarf? Size counts for a lot... are drakes naturally unskilled, to be as weak as much smaller creatures?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

It's not that they are weak. It is just that they are easier to hit...
Shade

Post by Shade »

Elvish Pillager wrote: Good idea.

How can you be 7'11" and NOT be much more powerful than that 4'10" Dwarf? Size counts for a lot... are drakes naturally unskilled, to be as weak as much smaller creatures?
Beacause Drakes are 'reluctant tool users'-- if they can get away with it they prefer to kick, claw, and flame their way out. Not as efficient as an axe. As a general rule they are physically powerful (Relatively high HP & Strong in spite of the fact that they like to use their hands), but this comes with the hindrance of being 'big targets'... Also, dwarves are noted as being built for durability...
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
Elvish_Pillager

Darth Fool wrote:It's not that they are weak. It is just that they are easier to hit...
Which is obviously a product of the unskilledness that I mentioned. :roll:
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
tigrezno

Post by tigrezno »

drakes looks like dragons, so they should be big. But in the other hand, attacking with bigger units adds disadventage to your opponent, psicological shock!
Elvish_Pillager

tigrezno wrote:drakes looks like dragons, so they should be big.
This makes no sense. Baby dragons look like dragons... so they should be big?
But in the other hand, attacking with bigger units adds disadventage to your opponent, psicological shock!
Not when your opponent knows how weak/unskilled they are...