Ellisae's portrait attempts - Eastern Invasion

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Ellisae

Re: Ellisae's portrait attempts

Post by Ellisae »

Thanks! I think I fixed the issues that you listed, LordBob; I hope the hilt is sufficiently impressive now.
Attachments
Gweddry.png
Gweddry.png (199.07 KiB) Viewed 4905 times
First year illustration student. Socially awkward; apologies if seems rude/strange/offensive/something.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Sorry for such late critique, but this should be easy to address:

The lines on the face seem to saturated/too red. When I look at the image, I'm automatically drawn to them, as they seem *almost* as if they are glowing.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Re: Thrawn:hmm: Might be something with your -or my- screen settings: facial lines sure are brown here, but not so much as to catch the eye.
Anyway, if the fix is indeed easy (i.e lines are on their own layer - and they should be. If they aren't, it is evil :P ), I say tone down their saturation and post a last-final-promise-there-won't-be-another version. Else, we can live with it. Ellisae, this is up to you.

The sword hilt has improved. It might benefit from added complexity of shape, but will do alright for a first portrait. :)
In future works, you might want to check some of the armour catalogs linked in the wesnoth wiki for inspiration and added realism: you'll find out "impressive" doesn't necessarily imply "massive". :eng:

So thanks for bearing with us, you can pick your next character :)
Atz
Art Contributor

Post by Atz »

LordBob wrote:Re: Thrawn:hmm: Might be something with your -or my- screen settings: facial lines sure are brown here, but not so much as to catch the eye.
They're brown for me as well. It's most likely Thrawn's screen.
Djehuty

Post by Djehuty »

Hi again.

Wonderful job you did there :D

Looking forward to see more portraits from you.
Djehuty
Ellisae

Post by Ellisae »

Hopeful that no more work is needed on Gweddry, I started sketching for Mal-Ravanal. I should probably gather more skeleton references before I continue, though. And make sure the cloth falls more realistically.
Attachments
Mal-Ravanal.png
Mal-Ravanal.png (163.04 KiB) Viewed 4123 times
First year illustration student. Socially awkward; apologies if seems rude/strange/offensive/something.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Indeed.

Based on prior discussions elsewhere, feel free to let your imagination run riot with Ancient Liches like Ravanal - there's no need to be bound to a normal human skeleton, as long as it has a human skull in there somewhere.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.