Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Dutch Image Localization

Post by Astoria »

I tried making a dutch version of the wesnoth logo and I quite like how it turned out:
bfw-logo.png
Any comments?
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Re: Dutch Image Localization

Post by kitty »

What did you do to the kerning/spacing of the letters?!
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

kitty wrote:What did you do to the kerning/spacing of the letters?!
What do you mean? The distance between the letters? The dimensions of the letters?
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
kitty

Post by kitty »

Yes, the distances between the letters. You edited those manually, right? The designer of the font probably put some thought and intention in it... Don't change those if you aren't really sure what you are doing ;)
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

kitty wrote:Yes, the distances between the letters. You edited those manually, right? The designer of the font probably put some thought and intention in it... Don't change those if you aren't really sure what you are doing ;)
The tutorial said else. Does it look that bad?
kitty

Post by kitty »

Okay, I admit I never saw this $*!#?! explanation how to set text. This way the non design person who sets the type has to do the whole kerning manually?! Oh well.

The key to kerning is to try to make the amount of space between each pair two letters appear about the same visually. Like between an unkerned "cv" is a *lot* of space, while "nu" is rather tight, the "te" is always problematic and so forth. Squinting ones eyes to estimate the amount of "blackness" (grey value) always helps.
So: The Strijd is overally far too far apart, especially t-r, r-i, i-j, j-d. It should also be closer to "om". The "om" itself should be a lot tighter. "Wesnoth" should be tighter too, but not as much, and the o-t isn't so bad.
Apart from that the "h" of Wesnoth is cut at the right side. And the "De" is rather small, is it really only 10pt smaller?
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

kitty wrote:Okay, I admit I never saw this $*!#?! explanation how to set text. This way the non design person who sets the type has to do the whole kerning manually?! Oh well.

The key to kerning is to try to make the amount of space between each pair two letters appear about the same visually. Like between an unkerned "cv" is a *lot* of space, while "nu" is rather tight, the "te" is always problematic and so forth. Squinting ones eyes to estimate the amount of "blackness" (grey value) always helps.
So: The Strijd is overally far too far apart, especially t-r, r-i, i-j, j-d. It should also be closer to "om". The "om" itself should be a lot tighter. "Wesnoth" should be tighter too, but not as much, and the o-t isn't so bad.
Apart from that the "h" of Wesnoth is cut at the right side. And the "De" is rather small, is it really only 10pt smaller?
I'm sorry to be this bad...
Another try:

EDIT:
Some quick fixes.
Attachments
bfw-logo3.png
bfw-logo2.png
kitty

Post by kitty »

You're not that bad! It's just rather obvious that you aren't doing that kind of stuff every day... I was appaled by the explanation not by your work ;)

Much better now!
The "om" could still be a bitcloser, as well as the n-o in Wesnoth. And the spaces between the words appear to be rather big, try to make those a tad smaller as well, especially between "om" and "wesnoth", the "W" produces much empty space below the diagonal stem.

Now you should work on the positioning of the text. The "De" very much mingles with the gold of the shield, I'd put it higher and center the the "Strijd om Wesnoth" more vertically, much like in the english version. And the line should be centered horizontally as well, right now it is too far to the right.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

New version:
Attachments
bfw-logo5.png
bfw-logo5.png (80.07 KiB) Viewed 3960 times
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Finished the Great Continent map:
Attachments
great-continent.png
nindjo

Post by nindjo »

wil you please destroy dat horible thing i so hate it when people translate cools things its just makes them sound crapy when you speek it out in dutch and most people here play the game with english on anyway
Fog

Post by Fog »

No... You are living breathing proof that not all Wesnoth players speak English. Let me put this into perspective: You find an awsomazing game, but it is entirely in Chinese! (Assuming you don't speak Chinese) You learn that you can make a mod to the game so that you can share and enjoy the awsomazingness much easier!
I recomend you be respectful by thinking before you post and making that post worthwhile and less painful to our eyes.
Ecce, in caelo! Est avem! Minime, est vehiculum aerem! Minime, est virum Latinum!
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

nindjo wrote:wil you please destroy dat horible thing i so hate it when people translate cools things its just makes them sound crapy when you speek it out in dutch and most people here play the game with english on anyway
:(
The point of translating something into some language is to make more people who don't speak English still able to enjoy the game, even though the translation might sounds crappy, it's still better than nothing.
Last edited by hhyloc on November 3rd, 2010, 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R.I.P
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Correct.

I don't play the game in dutch either, other than for testing the translation (I'm the maintainer after all), but that doesn't mean you can boss people who are doing good work on an official project (image l10n) around and insult their work.

So, please be more civil in thee future when commenting on other people's work and don't tell them to stop working on something because of your personal preferences.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Back on-topic:
How do they look? Are they good enough? Should I change anything?