Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Re: Campaign art - Descent into Darkness

Post by Neoskel »

I think it would be pretty cool and distinctive if that left eye socket had a faint blueish glow in it as a sort of psychological remnant of the lazy eye.
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

Lich Malin looks great already, but like the others already mentioned his head isn't quite perfect yet. I think that's mainly due to a lack of contrast, the hood of the cloak could stand to be a tad lighter on top and having deeper shadows on the side. The shadow it casts on the skull should be darker, too - then everything would pop out more… And the leftover skin doesn't read as such yet, the purplish grey itself is a good choice for decaying flesh but here it gets lost against the bone. perhaps try some more saturated "natural" skin tone with green-ish or blue-ish shadows?

Is that the final iteration of Malin or will you do a even more decayed one as well?
Noitakuningas

Post by Noitakuningas »

Neoskel wrote:I think it would be pretty cool and distinctive if that left eye socket had a faint blueish glow in it as a sort of psychological remnant of the lazy eye.

I agree with this.

Also, it'd be cool to have a portrait for him when he is a mighyt, powerful lich, not just the weakened lich he is after the transformation.

Like.. you could have trapped souls of the damned breeze his robes made of human skin, eternally wailing in anguish for their dark fate, while his eye radiates a faint, pale light akin to witchfires of cursed swamps, his fingers adorned with stolen rings and jewelry brought to him by his minions..
You are a Ghost: you drain the life energy from other people to survive and are hated/feared by regular people.
Saurian Skirmisher 80 %
Elvish Fighter 75%
Dark Adept 75%
Arawn

Post by Arawn »

Noitakuningas wrote:
Neoskel wrote:I think it would be pretty cool and distinctive if that left eye socket had a faint blueish glow in it as a sort of psychological remnant of the lazy eye.

I agree with this.

Also, it'd be cool to have a portrait for him when he is a mighyt, powerful lich, not just the weakened lich he is after the transformation.

Like.. you could have trapped souls of the damned breeze his robes made of human skin, eternally wailing in anguish for their dark fate, while his eye radiates a faint, pale light akin to witchfires of cursed swamps, his fingers adorned with stolen rings and jewelry brought to him by his minions..
Whoa, that thing with the skins sounds difficult to draw, but I would love to see it.
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

Noitakuningas wrote:Like.. you could have trapped souls of the damned breeze his robes made of human skin, eternally wailing in anguish for their dark fate, while his eye radiates a faint, pale light akin to witchfires of cursed swamps, his fingers adorned with stolen rings and jewelry brought to him by his minions..
That's.... dark.... :shock:

And we have no record of him being arbitrarily evil and cruel to humans; just orcs or people who get in his way.
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Arawn

Post by Arawn »

bigkahuna wrote:And we have no record of him being arbitrarily evil and cruel to humans; just orcs or people who get in his way.
Ok, so, cloak of failing orc faces. I'm kidding! Doesn't have to be there at all. But jewelry probably makes sense (would anyone really just let that ring sit there for all eternity?) and I'm liking the pale light from the eyes. Also, this doesn't really have anything to do with Malin, but I personally would keep the swords of all my enemies if I were a lich. Any chance of that getting worked in? After all, an elf dies while wielding this beautiful sword, why not hold onto it? Just a thought.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Arawn wrote:Ok, so, cloak of failing orc faces. I'm kidding! Doesn't have to be there at all. But jewelry probably makes sense (would anyone really just let that ring sit there for all eternity?) and I'm liking the pale light from the eyes. Also, this doesn't really have anything to do with Malin, but I personally would keep the swords of all my enemies if I were a lich. Any chance of that getting worked in? After all, an elf dies while wielding this beautiful sword, why not hold onto it? Just a thought.
Well, simply put : no. If there should be a more advanced Malin-lich, it will be consistent with the Mal Keshar portrait Kitty drew for IftU. I'm not introducing such nonsense as humanskin coats and sword-collecting liches into Wesnoth.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Revised the skintone of decaying old Main, and accounted for comments on his lich self.

Regarding what dirt can be found on the robe, remember that dirt is much less blatant on black cloth. I could still give him brownish robes all along in the continuity of his apprentice garment, having only the experienced lich black-clad.
Attachments
DiD-malin_lich.png
DiD-malin_lich.png (135.66 KiB) Viewed 4466 times
DiD-malin_old-decay.png
DiD-malin_old-decay.png (148.13 KiB) Viewed 4466 times
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

I'd say much better, though the skin on his wrist may not be that necessary
just one thing to correct on the lich - getting the purple off his blonde fringe so its more visible

can't think of anything to correct on the living pic, unless someone else can i'd propose calling that one finished
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

StDrake wrote:ust one thing to correct on the lich - getting the purple off his blonde fringe so its more visible
:hmm: I don't think I'm gonna do that : the drawing already exaggerates the length of his few remaining hair, plus it's shadowed by the hood : some things just can't be seen unless your squint your eyes really hard.

On a completely unrelated note, I've finished a first shaded version for Darken Volk.

Edit : and of sargeant Drogan
Attachments
DiD-drogan.png
DiD-drogan.png (159.82 KiB) Viewed 4200 times
DiD-darken_volk.png
DiD-darken_volk.png (129.22 KiB) Viewed 4302 times
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

I don't understand why Drogan's armour is rusty. :hmm: Especially since that sword hilt is so sparkly...
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Because he's the militia lieutenant of a smallish border town, and as such Zookeeper specified that his gear should be more worn out than your average loyalist's. Which stands to reason : the way I understand the character, he's more the type who'll have anill-fitting breastplate shoved in some trunk, that he gets out only when something rash happens in town. So no time to get his stuff all shiny and polished.

As to the sword hilt, there's no "sparky" but only facets reflecting light.
bigkahuna

Post by bigkahuna »

LordBob wrote:the way I understand the character, he's more the type who'll have anill-fitting breastplate shoved in some trunk, that he gets out only when something rash happens in town
Well, in the campaign it states that:
DiD Saving Parthyn wrote:"Every summer when the mountain passes became clear, orcs came down from the north to prove themselves in battle. Every year Parthyn's guards repelled the raids, though some of the townsfolk were always lost. Malin's father led raiding parties to disrupt the orc encampments and send the orcs back to the north."
These raids happened fairly often, and there were some unexpected ones.
DiD Saving Parthyn wrote:Even as he arrived, an early, unexpected orc raid was being conducted against Parthyn.
And Drogan isn't the militia lieutenant - he's the captain of the guard.
DiD Saving Parthyn wrote:Drogan, the captain of the guard,
Check out my campaign Sweet Revenge!
Join the new R2D forum!
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

bigkahuna- Personally, I like it.

Drogan is making the best of the resources at his disposal, and someone who has to appear strong even in the face of difficultues, but he is too proud to admit that he is vulnerable and needs Malin's assistance. Maybe he could have a better suit of armor if he wasn't too proud to ask for it?

So it is kind of a statement about his character as well.
If you critique and the artist disagrees, drop it.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Arawn

Post by Arawn »

Oh, I like the new Lich form a lot, especially the skin around the face. Great work.