Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
LordBob
Portrait Director

Re: Campaign art - Descent into Darkness

Post by LordBob »

There you are, the halo cropping should be corrected. I've also added a few touches here and there, and came up with an interesting variant. Not sure if and where it'll be used, but I just like it. The last vision of many an adventurer at the turn of a dark corridor :twisted:
Attachments
DiD-malin_ancient_lich.png
DiD-malin_ancient_lich_gry.png
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

if you wanted that other version to look like in a dark corridor, then it should show more emphasis on that the main source of light comes from the staff..and the eyeglow I FRIGGIN LOVE THE EYEGLOW..ok im fine now, anyway that would mean gradual darkening the lower it goes, and stronger shadows from the robe elements that come between the staff and what's visible under
One more remark I somehow didn't notice earlier - is that black line protruding down-left from his dark eye socket intentional? like some crack in the skull or something, or is that a mouse slip?
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Very cool. :D I'll commit him tomorrow. The only use for the variant I can think of would be if he switched to that after a couple repetitions of the last scenario, would that be a good idea?

In any case, I suppose we can call another portrait set finished then? Superb work!
johndh

Post by johndh »

Maybe the greyish one would make a good piece of story art?
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

StDrake: it is the outline of a patch of skin which hangs below said eyesocket, though if people read it as a crack in the skull, we're still in the undead area so everything's fine.

Zookeeper: switching to the variant won't work, if only because it's not different enough. We could introduce some kind of easter egg in that fashion, though. But right now, story art sounds like the best place to use it.

Speaking of which, the portrait set is finished indeed, but the campaign completely lacks story art. Now's a good time to think of what we need :) .
Pewskeepski

Post by Pewskeepski »

I think that new lich portrait would look great for the last scenario's story art. And It'd be even better with a black back ground. :D
"Everything is better with penguins."
Creator of Burning Souls, The Fall of Wesnoth (abandoned) and Adventures of Knighthood (now available on BfW 1.15!)
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Actually, I remember someone making story-art a while back. One of the pieces was a depiction of Parthyn or a tower or something. I can't check whether it's been used from here.
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

AI wrote:Actually, I remember someone making story-art a while back. One of the pieces was a depiction of Parthyn or a tower or something. I can't check whether it's been used from here.
It is used.

Code: Select all

[part]
            story=_ "When Malin was 10, a mage who passed through the town sensed strong magical abilities in the boy. His parents, seeing a chance for him to live away from the constant battles with the orcs, arranged for him to be sent to the mage community on the Isle of Alduin. There he studied for eight years, while back at home the orc raids increased in their frequency and ferocity. Before Malin could finish his training, however, he was expelled."
            >background=story/parthyn.jpg<
            scale_background=no
        [/part]
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

My mistake : I had missed the "Story" directory when browsing campaign resources for DiD. Story art there is indeed and it's good enough that we don't have to worry about replacing it for now, though a little few in numbers. :)
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

DiD-malin_ancient_lich.png committed. In case my earlier post slipped past your radar, I'll remind that the campaign menu image issue still remains, if you find it important enough to fix.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Will do that, I had forgotten about it. :oops:
Kraus

Post by Kraus »

Pick of the nit, nit of the pick! I found a little something that might disturb a bit. :)

If you check how Malin is portrayed in end.jpg, found from story pictures, his staff is different, and in the story pic he still has his sword hanging. Which is very cool, in my opinion. It would've been nice to keep the sword in some form even when Malin's lichified.

What's easier, however, might be replacing the end.jpg with something else to prevent confusion. Buut, as implied, the problem might be very minor.

I love the portraits! I never finished DiD because of the 'nigh impossible scenario at the end of the campaign, but now with new portraits and easier scenarios I'll have to try this out as soon as a new version of Wesnoth is released. Hoping that'll be soon!
"Oh, to the hades with the manners - he's a complete [censored], and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De'Arnise