Thou shalt get terrain art.

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Reepurr

Thou shalt get terrain art.

Post by Reepurr »

I was experimenting with the 1.9 maps and I noticed that the orcish keep was sort of hanging over its little podium, so I started making changes to it, so that it wouldn't. :)

After all, someone has to do it.
First, older version with a square bottom.
First, older version with a square bottom.
keep-concave-tl3.png (7.32 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
Second version with a rounded bottom.
Second version with a rounded bottom.
keep-concave-tl.png (7.3 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
And I'll throw in an extra bit for free.
And I'll throw in an extra bit for free.
keep-convex-br.png (7.91 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
em3

Re: Thou shalt get terrain art.

Post by em3 »

You cut it pretty sharp. Notice, that generally terrain in Wesnoth is anti-aliased.
ride on shooting star
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Ah, I was wondering what was wrong with them.

But for now, I think I'll try and get them all to a decent pixel artist's standard and then stick some transparents on.

Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Terrain art isn't, nor is it supposed to be "pixel art" in the way that unit art is. By design it's smoother and more painterly. Look at any of my new stuff to clarify what i mean.
You'll need to produce something of a different style than what's currently in your art thread to get these edits in the game-- though i'm glad for you to try.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Ahh, thanks for clearing things up Eleazar. So basically,
I need to use a heck of a lot more colours.
I need to do some serious anti-aliasing.
Probably some differences in lightness of the outlines?

Well, I'll try to sort this out... I should have something for you to avoid looking at because it's so bad look at by tomorrow.

Fog

Post by Fog »

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "hanging over its podium"? While I'm sure there is an issue, a visual of a before and after would certainly help my understanding.
Ecce, in caelo! Est avem! Minime, est vehiculum aerem! Minime, est virum Latinum!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Fog wrote:Could you elaborate on what you mean by "hanging over its podium"?
I don't understand either. There are some things that need to be shifted, but I'm not sure if that is what you mean.

Don't pencil in one colour at a time, use a little paintbrush. And you can use partial transparency for it too. If you do that, the anti-aliasing will mostly take care of itself.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Urgh...Okay, it's gonna take an awful lot more work to try and sort out this stupid terrain thing.
Painting with a 1px brush is the right thing to do for this, right?

@ Fog/doofus: Oh, sorry. I guess it wasn't that clear. By platform, I mean the slab of rock that's underneath all the castles automatically. The orcish keep has a big slope that obscures the slab and makes it seem like it floats.
Here's what I mean.
Here's what I mean.
Picture 7.png (28.48 KiB) Viewed 3374 times

doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Reepurr wrote:@ Fog/doofus: Oh, sorry. I guess it wasn't that clear. By platform, I mean the slab of rock that's underneath all the castles automatically. The orcish keep has a big slope that obscures the slab and makes it seem like it floats.
Oh, I thought you were referring to something about the -tl image you posted right below it.
Reepurr wrote:Painting with a 1px brush is the right thing to do for this, right?
Yep. Scaling the image is not helpful for multi-hex images.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Photoshop is rubbish for terrain art. I tried using the brush at 1px. I got a half-transparent gray blob. I tried using it at 2px. I got...er...a half-transparent gray blob. :annoyed:

I think I might take a break and do a sprite for Liberty.

thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

A bad craftsman blames his tools. I'd be shocked if Eleazar ISN'T using Photoshop or an equivalent program. If you don't know how to do something, ask, learn. Don't say it can't be done, it makes you look silly ;)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Yoyobuae

Post by Yoyobuae »

I think what you need is to increase the "Hardness" of the brush (to max probably). Or maybe select a non-fuzzy brush.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Probably the opacity setting, actually. Making the brush too hard will simply result in jaggies again.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I don't know about photoshop settings because I drew those with GIMP. Mostly with a regular 1px brush at 100% opacity, sometimes using 50% on the edges and shading. The only other "trick" I can think of is to zoom in when drawing.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

thespaceinvader wrote:A bad craftsman blames his tools. I'd be shocked if Eleazar ISN'T using Photoshop.
Yep, I love my Photoshop. Jetrel uses it too and some of our other terrain contributors.

What he's trying to find is the Pencil tool for pixel-perfect pixels, but that's generally not what you should be using for terrain art.

Sounds like Reepur is really coming at this from a "pixel-art" standpoint, it's probably not a good task for him unless he's up for some serious unlearning and relearning.
doofus wrote:I don't know about photoshop settings because I drew those with GIMP. Mostly with a regular 1px brush at 100% opacity,
Sounds like you too are giving yourself unnecessary work.

My general process: start with big opaque brushes, blocking in the major details. Progressively move to smaller and less opaque brushes as i turn to the smaller and/or subtler details. Very rarely would i use a 1pix 100% opacity brush -- for some really strong specular highlights perhaps.

Of course the end result is all that really matters, but some methods are a much more efficient means to the desired end result.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity