Outdated Dagger Projectile Needs Update?

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Outdated Dagger Projectile Needs Update?

Post by artisticdude »

I was browsing through the mainline images today, and noticed that the dagger projectiles looked waaaay outdated, so I took a shot at updating them. Granted, you only see the projectile frames for a second (if that), but still… *shrug*

These were made mainly with the orcs in mind, but if it's wanted/needed I could also create a set for the humans.
Attachments
dagger-update.png
dagger-update.png (3.64 KiB) Viewed 2908 times
dagger-n.png
dagger-n.png (3.05 KiB) Viewed 2908 times
dagger-ne.png
dagger-ne.png (3.06 KiB) Viewed 2908 times
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."

Qazerowl

Re: Outdated Dagger Projectile Needs Update?

Post by Qazerowl »

I like them! (I know this isn't very helpful, but I don't see anything wrong with them...)

Dixie

Post by Dixie »

This pretty much is a nitpick, and while it's true that we barely see it at all in the midst of the animation and that your improved dagger is much better than the ancient, but since you're at it, it seems weird to me that the thrown dagger is actually much like a dagger. I know WINR, but actually throwing knives were pretty different from regular ones: they didn't have a guard and their handle wasn't nearly as practical as regular knives. This was for balance and aerodynamism. Look at the thrown dagger attack icons, for instance. (Well, I'll agree it can be more subtle on some images google returns, so maybe it's not that big a deal)

Good job, anyway! :)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth

artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Yeah, this thread will most likely be ignored because it deals with such a trivial issue. Oh well, what can I say? I had a couple free minutes and I was bored. I really hope the dagger projectile gets updated at some point though.

thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

It's something I've been meaning to attend to for a long, LONG time actually. I made some attack animations for the thief which involved throwing his dagger up and catching it in a different grip, for which we got about halfway through making a spinning dagger for that purpose and for use as a projectile, and stalled. Finishing that would be good. I'll try to track down the link, but it was in the Animation Upgrade project thread in closed Art Dev.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.

aXidal

Post by aXidal »

thespaceinvader wrote:It's something I've been meaning to attend to for a long, LONG time actually. I made some attack animations for the thief which involved throwing his dagger up and catching it in a different grip, for which we got about halfway through making a spinning dagger for that purpose and for use as a projectile, and stalled. Finishing that would be good. I'll try to track down the link, but it was in the Animation Upgrade project thread in closed Art Dev.
http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 2&start=45, There it is.

thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Yep, that's the one.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.

Jetrel
Art Director

Post by Jetrel »

In the meantime, I've committed these improvements.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!

Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

You art dudes are doing a poor job at ignoring this trivial project =P Congrats artistic dude!
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well

artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Thanks Thrawn. :) Although just to avoid any misunderstandings, it was my work on the Merfolk Warrior's attack animation that earned me this title, not the minute-and-a-half project above.

tsi's work in the linked thread above intrigues me, and I might have a go at finishing it once I finish my current projects. Although if someone else wants to do it instead, please do, by all means.