Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
LordBob
Portrait Director

Re: Campaign art - The Rise of Wesnoth

Post by LordBob »

Thanks, that is exactly the kind of information I needed. You can expect a series of sketches in a near future.
zookeeper wrote:Of course, almost any scenario could have a real story screen added to it. Most scenarios currently have one narrator-spoken line in the beginning, which I suspect weren't made into story screens exactly because there was no images to go along with them.
Painting a decent story screen for each scenario 'd be quite an improvement to the campaign, and something I'd really enjoy doing. However it's also a full-time job, so I'll first focus on the essentials. :)

In the meantime, I've finished the portrait for the red mage. Since you mentionned there were two of them and they were twins, I'm providing a quick alternate.
I've also fixed Haldric's sword and tended to Athyr's wounds. You now have three pictures for him, which can be used as you please : 1.wounded 2.healed+dented helm 3.healed+fixed helm.
Attachments
tRoW-archmage-2.png
tRoW-archmage-2.png (146.05 KiB) Viewed 4192 times
tRoW-archmage.png
tRoW-archmage.png (146.8 KiB) Viewed 4192 times
tRoW-haldric-mad.png
tRoW-haldric-mad.png (150.47 KiB) Viewed 4192 times
tRoW-aethyr-1st-encounter.png
tRoW-aethyr-1st-encounter.png (163.06 KiB) Viewed 4192 times
tRoW-aethyr-conked.png
tRoW-aethyr-conked.png (151.19 KiB) Viewed 4192 times
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

:) Looks like a productive holiday! I hope you had some free time as well! :D

No real crits, especially the subtle Aethyr variations are a nice idea - I'll try to work likewise if I find a similar opportunity. The only thing that bothers me marginally is the brothers' right hand (the one on the staff) it's generally rather small, plus the ring finger is so big that I first read it as the middle finger.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

I love the latest portraits; these will really spice up TRoW.

One tiny nitpick about Aethyr-conked: I think there should probably be faded bloodstains on his left sleeve (our right), much as there are on the bottom of his tunic. There really was a lot of blood there in Aethyr-1st-encounter, and it's the only spot to look like it washed washed to the point of pristine afterwards.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
JackBarber

Post by JackBarber »

Just a little thing about Aethyr.
If he was wounded that badly wouldn't he be clutching his side instead of just lifting his hand up to make some kind of point...?
"Do YOU know the muffin man?"
."Don't wake me if I'm dreaming."
.."Even words can drive a man to madness."
Daravel

Post by Daravel »

Forgive me as I've never commented on artwork before, and I appreciate that I don't know what I'm talking about, however...

The archmages mouth looks too big, and frankly, kind of creepy. The 2nd one you posted isn't as bad, mainly the top one. It just looks very weird to me.

Also, just to add to JackBarbers point about aethyr's hand gesture; his expression doesn't look like he's just been heavilly wounded. He looks a tiny bit angry, not exhausted and weak. His eyes are also different in the second picture.
Last edited by Daravel on September 6th, 2010, 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
JackBarber

Post by JackBarber »

Daravel wrote:The archmages mouth looks too big, and frankly, kind of creepy. The 2nd one you posted isn't as badly, mainly the top one. It just looks very weird to me.
Kind of like the Burger Kings looks?
"Do YOU know the muffin man?"
."Don't wake me if I'm dreaming."
.."Even words can drive a man to madness."
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

Daravel wrote: The archmages mouth looks too big, and frankly, kind of creepy. The 2nd one you posted isn't as badly, mainly the top one. It just looks very weird to me.
Um, they're both the same portrait, with a couple of slight differences in the hair and such. The mouth is exactly the same for both of them. Not difference at all.
Daravel

Post by Daravel »

Except for the moustache, which is adding to the effect. As I said, the second one "isn't as bad" - but it still looks weird to me.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Daravel wrote:The archmages mouth looks too big, and frankly, kind of creepy.
It's supposed to look creepy. They're insane enemies living in a sewer.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The only thing that strikes me about the arch mages is that they could be a little dirtier, as tyhey live in a sewer. And they should definitely face opposite directions when they have dialogue, to ensuretheir identical-ness isn't too obvious.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

thespaceinvader wrote:And they should definitely face opposite directions when they have dialogue, to ensuretheir identical-ness isn't too obvious.
Sure, I've planned to make the other one be mirrored and on the right side of the dialog.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Flats for the knight character of chapter 4 (if I'm not mistaken)

I'm not going to bring any further changes to Aethyr in the near future ; I'm fine with him the way he is now and changing the hand position on the wounded pic is too much work for what's at stake.
Next steps : slight revisions to the twin mages and minister Edmond.
Attachments
tRoW-knight.png
tRoW-knight.png (122.62 KiB) Viewed 3686 times
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

The horse's neck looks wrong. The lines on the fabric make it look like the cross-section of the neck is roundish (red line), when it should be flattened horizontally (green line)
Attachments
knight.png
knight.png (76.64 KiB) Viewed 3640 times
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Horse neck : noted.

Felt like starting another portrait in parallel. As a result, you get flats for the lord Isomithir ; his outfit should now be more coherent with Kitty's elves, while retaining an outlandish looks.
Attachments
tRoW-isothimir.png
tRoW-isothimir.png (92.24 KiB) Viewed 3525 times
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

About the Knight, while I really like this one's costume design I feel there's something wrong about the face regarding symmetry as well as perspective. While we see most of the figure pretty straight forwardly on eye level, we see the bottom of the nose... And the eyes seem too big and too close to each other. Taking perspective into account the horse's head is too small.

And that's a really snobby elf :) I'm not sure but his right upper arm seems a bit short and his head a tad big. And I'd recommend getting rid of the tangent of the tip of the ear and the outline of the hair by shortening the ear.