LordBob's random stuff : Nagas and more

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
homunculus

Re: LordBob's random stuff : wraith

Post by homunculus »

B, except the 'V' sign with fingers is more fitting for archers (before battle the French said they would cut off the two fingers of captured English archers, and the English archers showed the two fingers when the French attacked).

E that is a more dynamic pose, except previously I expected that the hand would hold the sword the other way round (probably called 'reverse grip')

G, though I am undecided if I should label it 'subtle' or 'boring'.

Hopefully all the torn cloth will not be lost when the image is cropped, because it looks good.
Maybe the skull could be without jawbone, like the other levels seem to have?

(And I am wondering if there was an idea to use the sickle for level 2 (as in 19) that would advance to a scythe, but whatever, if the idea seems to be dropped by now)

edit: oh, damn, me developing a habit of being late with the comment, as i just noticed.
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

I would say B with much less visible skull and the left hand making gesture "Come here".
Max

Post by Max »

i'd really prefer a portrait without a skull. always thought it's strange that direct advancements from a ghost would suddenly feature bones and such.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

@ Lord Bob:
Thanks for the file. No background! You are my hero!
Now they look ruff. How do you do this? Wacom tablet? Paper and Pen, Scanner?
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Tablet indeed, with a set of fine-tuned brushes. :wink:
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

This has been sitting on top of my 'unfinished' pile far too long. Finalized wraith portrait, complete with lines. Gonna commit it tonight.
Attachments
undead-wraith_small.png
undead-wraith_small.png (66.4 KiB) Viewed 5347 times
undead-wraith.png
undead-wraith.png (290.22 KiB) Viewed 5347 times
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

I absolutely love this portrait.
The pose, and especially the blueish sword.
Sorry for my two cents.
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

Awesome :shock:
It maybe just me, but I find something strange in the combination "how hand grabs sword + sword blade angle". Sorry, I am not able to point in detail what is.
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Skeletor never looked better.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

HomerJ wrote:Skeletor never looked better.
:mrgreen:

This text is only to don't have posted a post that only contains a smiley,
which is against our forum rules.
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

tekelili wrote:Awesome :shock:
It maybe just me, but I find something strange in the combination "how hand grabs sword + sword blade angle". Sorry, I am not able to point in detail what is.

I also find it a bit jarring... I think I must just be looking atit wrong, but it seems that at his left shoulder, where it slopes down from his neck quit broadly it appears in the picture as long as say his forearm so it seems his left arm has three segments, and his shoulder is a second elbow. This is just my first impression. The texture, color scheme, and facial expression are terrific :D
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

iceiceice wrote:
tekelili wrote:Awesome :shock:

I also find it a bit jarring... I think I must just be looking atit wrong, but it seems that at his left shoulder, where it slopes down from his neck quit broadly it appears in the picture as long as say his forearm so it seems his left arm has three segments, and his shoulder is a second elbow. This is just my first impression. The texture, color scheme, and facial expression are terrific :D
No, I think the problem lies with he blade itself. It appears as though it twists where it enlarges. Plus the (our) top-right part of the hilt seems to be in a strange angle?
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

LordBob said he was committing the image, so I don't know if he's expecting/accepting any input from us, but I agree that something is off about the sword arm & shoulder (it is a nice portrait though). I also wondered if the skull should be more obscured, so that it didn't look like a skeleton-type thing rather than a ghost (the hood is also so prominent in the sprite). Here's my (unsolicited) paint-over that indicates what I think would help with the arm balance and skull shroud, and wouldn't require a huge redraw. It doesn't really match up with the breastplate, I guess, but since I don't know LordBob's intention here, I'm not sure how much effort to put into this.
Attachments
undead-wraith.png
undead-wraith.png (284.59 KiB) Viewed 5216 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

I think the reason the sword angle looks off might be the direction of the top line of cloth covering the wrist. It looks as if the sword is held by the fingers only, and then you would expect it to tilt down into the palm, because it is a heavy object.

Terrific portrait though :D
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Is it just me, or was this guy fat when he was alive? :lol: (see size of breastplate)

Either way, it appeared to me that the sword-arm was broken near the shoulder (perhaps that was the point). The sword also appears to twist a bit at the bump, which looks weird.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?