Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
LordBob
Portrait Director

Re: LordBob's random stuff : Nagas and more

Post by LordBob »

Interesting. In truth I don't call them very often and if I have to I use "female nagas". Now that I know better, I will try and not get it wrong next time. :whistle:
Anyway, there was a discussion (maybe not in this thread, possibly the Grand Portrait List update I posted earlier this year) about which factions could realistically (in terms of artist availability and immediate game needs) receive gender variant generic portraits.
In the case of nagas the consensus was that we would withold variants for the time being. Similar to real-world snakes, or dwarves, we're choosing to assume that differences between genders are subtle enough that it takes a trained eye to spot them and so we live with a single set of portraits.

Back to Inktober stuff now : new round of portrait sketches.

The sword-wielding sailor that Beetlenaut requested
7---Armed-sailor.jpg

Ringcaster, one of two possible evolutions of the Dirkfang
9---Naga-ringcaster.jpg

Ophydian, the other evolution and also a replacement to the naga-with-bow portrait that is currently used for them
18---Naga-ophydian.jpg

Wose shaman. I've wanted to take a shot at this one ever since I saw the sprite, well here we are.
6---Wose-shaman.jpg

Djin, one of the few portraitless monsters I am going to tackle.
8---Djinn.jpg
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Double posting since I've apparently hit the attachment limit.

Fire guardian, another currently faceless monster. Going to give him some sort of minimalist jewelry/armor to add structure and interest to the portrait. Nothing too material though, it's not like it was bought from the local Goldsmith.
10---Fire_guardian.jpg

Since female portraits were being discussed and I wanted to change the Duelist line : in order, fencer / duelist / master-at-arms
11---Human-fencer.jpg
12---Human-duelist.jpg
17---Human-master-at-arms.jpg
BTIsaac

Post by BTIsaac »

I don't think the scars fit them at all. Fencers are supposed to be nobility, and the whole battle-hardened badass theme just doesn't fit them at all.
Also, while getting injured during duels is inevitable, historically, duels have been faught till someone draws blood. Facial scars aren't something a duelist would proudly put on display, as the only thing it shows is how many times they lost and thus were publicly humiliated.
Also, those swords don't look like they're meant for fencing.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Yeah, well, that's surely what historical accuracy says about duelling strictly among peers in a regulated environment. And then there's what's bound to happen if you stay long enough on battlefields with little to no armor. Pampered noble priding themselves in their absence of scar is good for the lvl 1 fencer, but I would prefer for the evolved units to look like hardened veterans who have seen their fair share of actual battles.
This is only my take on it though, so I can adjust later depending on the general consensus.

Also re:swords, I am well aware these are not meant for fencing. However I was never fond of having amid our heavy armor medieval troops a line of Renaissance musketeers who seemed to have picked the wrong century. So this is my attempt at making the duelists feel a little more at home.
If it is conflicting too much with the design of the unit I can make swords lighter in the final portrait, but if I can I will avoid reverting to the elaborate rapier-like swords they had previously. Maybe something like the leftmost one here
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

LordBob wrote: October 21st, 2020, 1:48 pm...I would prefer for the evolved units to look like hardened veterans who have seen their fair share of actual battles.
This is only my take on it though, so I can adjust later depending on the general consensus.
Nice drawings. I like all the details.

In my opinion, the best way to achieve a battle-hardened look for orcs and monsters is through scars, but with humans it's through the look in the eyes and the general attitude displayed on the face. Scars aside, if you only saw three faces of the human fencer and not any weapons or gear, it would be ideal if the faces could be arranged in order with little difficulty: beginner >> experienced >> battle-hardened veteran.

Historical accuracy with weapons or hairstyles or shoes or whatever doesn't matter much to me, as long as the so-called inaccuracies aren't way over the top. Like, don't put flip flops on a peasant.
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

The duelists look nice. Orcs, dragons, etc. surely don't stop fighting at first blood, so the scars aren't a problem. The weapons also look fine; they keep the flavor well enough, without looking out of place. Possibly the level 1's sword could be a bit lighter, the cross-guard at least.
LordBob wrote: October 20th, 2020, 12:44 pm Ophydian, the other evolution and also a replacement to the naga-with-bow portrait that is currently used for them
That's a great pose, would make an interesting portrait. Is that a throwing knife in it's left (our right) hand? It will be less disruptive if the thrown weapon is still piercing type, but maybe it's still early enough in the development cycle that this doesn't matter. I wonder if that image could be better for the level 1, the existing portrait could just be an alternative if not bumped altogether.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
GForce0

Post by GForce0 »

Personally I would prefer rapiers over swords, otherwise it would just be a swords(wo)man. Otherwise at least lighter swords indeed. Also adding the hand cover like the male counterpart has would help.

Secondly, maybe they should also wear a small crossbow somewhere?
Odium

Post by Odium »

I love all these, in my opinion LordBob is right about the scars tho. And GForce0 is right, the highest rank(s ? cant remember if the duelist has one) also can fire a crossbow.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Thanks for the feedback everyone !

Re: duelist line ; I will try and find a compromise for swords. The crossbow is already there on the master-at-arms (see handle tucked under her dagger arm). My headcannon for it is that it is a folding crossbow, otherwise there's no way it could be practical to holster like this without hindering movement. I might make it even smaller in the end. Maybe I will add a similar hint on the duelist. Either way the lore says it's a concealed crossbow so we can live without it ; the existing portraits surely have.
doofus-01 wrote: October 24th, 2020, 11:26 amIs that a throwing knife in it's left (our right) hand? It will be less disruptive if the thrown weapon is still piercing type, but maybe it's still early enough in the development cycle that this doesn't matter.
A throwing knife is what it is, but I can make that into a dart-type of weapon instead when I get to color, no problem
Scaramush

Post by Scaramush »

man these portraits are great, cool stuff!
ngoeminne

Post by ngoeminne »

Scaramush wrote: October 29th, 2020, 7:47 pm man these portraits are great, cool stuff!
Of course they are. LordBob's always are great.

Has there ever been a different apporach to creating portrait drawings?

What I mean, is that up untill now I only saw an illustrator work on a single piece (and taking into account feedback).
Has there ever been an attempt in sketching and coloring/shading done by different people?

Maybe Emilien can shed some light on that.
Kind regards,
Nico
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

ngoeminne wrote: October 30th, 2020, 8:18 pm What I mean, is that up untill now I only saw an illustrator work on a single piece (and taking into account feedback).
Has there ever been an attempt in sketching and coloring/shading done by different people?
As far as I know, this hasn't been done since we got formal portrait directors and started doing commissioning art instead of taking in free contributions. In particular, from the times before then I believe the original NR portraits were drawn and coloured by two different people.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

ngoeminne wrote: October 30th, 2020, 8:18 pm Has there ever been an attempt in sketching and coloring/shading done by different people?
portraits/orcs/grunt-2.png was a collaboration, I think.

Such collaborations can be great but it usually doesn't work in this situation; pay is small or nonexistent, deadlines are relatively soft. If two artists really hit it off and are impressed with each other's vision and execution, it could still work. But in general, dealing with someone else's workflow or vision is a chore and not worth the effort. The workforce here has always been small, so odds are we're going to be in chore territory.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

doofus-01 wrote: November 1st, 2020, 2:04 am portraits/orcs/grunt-2.png was a collaboration, I think.
Nope, also one of mine if memory serves right (all generic orcs that I know of are), unless it was altered later and the version sitting on my hard drive isn't the one we ship with the game.

The thought did cross my mind at some point to try and find a colorist and focus on drawing, but it is as Doofus says : I do like to create my own characters from start to finish even if the process is long and there never were enough artists and/or deadline stakes in Wesnoth to make it worth the effort.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

LordBob wrote: November 1st, 2020, 2:53 pm Nope, also one of mine if memory serves right (all generic orcs that I know of are), unless it was altered later and the version sitting on my hard drive isn't the one we ship with the game.
Depends what you consider a collaboration, I guess, but it's at least close.
https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.ph ... 41#p338041