Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Frogger5

Re: LordBob's random stuff : trolls !

Post by Frogger5 »

LordBob wrote:WIP for the Great Troll. Don't mind the placeholder hammer,
I was gonna say... :lol2:

Good work LB!
My spritework can be seen here.

Want to play Roll 2 Dodge, or even start your own game?http://rolltododge.freeforums.org/index.php We need you!
LordBob
Portrait Director

Re: LordBob's random stuff : spearman 2.0 !

Post by LordBob »

Hi crew ! Long time no see.

I should very soon return to my former projects (SoF portraits to complete, plus those troll studies that won't go to waste), but since it had been a looooong time, I did a quick portrait to make sure I'm not too rusted.
This one being entirely for my leisure, I decided I would make a replacement for the human spearman, which was among my very first portraits. As of now, the attached picture should be committed as the default spearman, and the previous one become a spare.

I'm also going to do a new peasant sometime, but until then, we're done for the day !
Attachments
human-spearman_2.png
human-spearman_2.png (184.83 KiB) Viewed 5340 times
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

Yay, welcome back :)
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Wow, looks great. :D
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

LordBob wrote:As of now, the attached picture should be committed as the default spearman, and the previous one become a spare.
A worthy replacement, indeed! :)

Not sure if you're open to critique on this or not, but I'll throw this out there for what it's worth:

The only thing that bothers me is the fact that he's not so much grasping the haft of his spear as he is leaning his hand on it. Which in and of itself isn't an issue, but in order to do that without the butt of the spear falling under the pressure of his hand, most of the spear haft would have to be positioned behind his shoulder (which acts as a fulcrum here, I believe) to counter the weight of his hand and forearm on the butt. Visually it looks like the majority of the haft is in front of his shoulder than behind it, so I can't shake the feeling that the spear isn't actually supported. :hmm:
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Thanks for the kind words :)

Artisticdude : No worries, I'm always open to critique. Sometimes I'll account for it and sometimes I won't, but constructive comments will always be read and appreciated :wink:

Regarding the hand comment : while I do agree with your reasoning, I'm inclined to say that if you take into account the foreshortening of the shaft (perspective) and the steel spearhead, the greater weight is actually behind him. Plus, if I shorten the shaft too much, it will look wrong as well. So I'd rather leave it untouched.

I'm stil going to make some minor adjustments before he's final, though, so please don't commit him yet.

Edit : final spearman attached below with its small counterpart for the unit dictionnary. He's now ready to commit.
Attachments
human-spearman_2_small.png
human-spearman_2_small.png (38.85 KiB) Viewed 5243 times
human-spearman_2.png
human-spearman_2.png (165.82 KiB) Viewed 5243 times
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Whoa! I love it. Stationary but at the same time very dynamic.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
MetalKing

Post by MetalKing »

Hi! Nice Work, the Spear-Man. I think about Hand, Spear and Position that there are different Changes possible to eleminate some Inconsistences in the Image: Tiher the Spear have to get enlarged or repositionized to bellance the Shaft that Gravity press the Shaft into the open Hand or the Hand have to grip the Shaft as else the Shaft would move down to Balance. At all Cases a fine Work and for my Taste undoubtful applyable.

Thanks for the Spearman!
"Sir! We are surrounded by our enemies!" - "Excellent ! We can attack in every direction!"
"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." -- Albert Einstein
No Source - No Binary - No Trust!
Map Wesnoth Springs - The great War [200x120],Player=9
TheCripple

Post by TheCripple »

LordBob wrote:Regarding the hand comment : while I do agree with your reasoning, I'm inclined to say that if you take into account the foreshortening of the shaft (perspective) and the steel spearhead, the greater weight is actually behind him. Plus, if I shorten the shaft too much, it will look wrong as well. So I'd rather leave it untouched.
I'm going to have to say that it looks like the weight is a little too far forward, based on my actual experience holding spears in that way - this is particularly bad if you read a slight tapering shaft into it, which is only sensible for those at all familiar with spears. The spear also seems a little too short, and a slight extension of the spear tip outward should fix both of these.

Other than that though, this is a fantastic image. The touches of the unrefined - the spear man carrying a good set of his own gear, the lack of any counterweight on the spear indicating its shoddy and mass produced nature - are particularly enjoyable.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

The new spearman has been committed, and the old one moved to an alt. The troll hero portrait has also been committed.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
LordBob
Portrait Director

Re: LordBob's random stuff : wraith

Post by LordBob »

Hi crew. I'm reaaaally eager to draw lately, so I've done silouhette studies for a future wraith portrait.
For a change, I'm switching my usual process to something closer to what professional concept artists do, i.e. tens of small-scale concepts before starting the actual piece.

Because there are so many of you out there, I'd be surprised if you unanimously singled out one of them ; so for a start you can tell me which ones you would absolutely not want for a wraith portrait. (Though if you have a favourite, don't hesitate to tell either. :wink:)
Attachments
Wesnoth_wraith-study.jpg
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Speedbrain

Post by Speedbrain »

:shock: so much awesomeness.

Seriously, though, these are all fantastic and I could picture any of them as a portrait. I think my least favorite is number 4. I don't really like the pose as much. There are a few with similar poses, but I dislike this the most.
Kanzil

Post by Kanzil »

I love 5, 10,13, 12, 21 and 30.
High over valleys in the red levelling rays -
In din of crowded streets, going among the years, the faces,
May I still meet my memory in so lonely a place
Between the streams and the red clouds, hearing the curlews, Hearing the horizons endure.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

10, 13, 14, 25, 28, and 29 for me.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

isn't the current wraith portrait good enough? I think the current skeletons are much worse, and drakes&dwarves even more.

Anyway I like 28; a problem with drawing armor on ghosts and skeletons is that it hints that the resistances are similar to other armored units when actually ghosts have the same ghostly resistances & skeletons have the same skeletony resistances - so the less armor skeletons & ghosts have on them, the better.