Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Re: Zerovirus' sprites for UtBS

Post by Neoskel »

Yep, likin' the new invader sprite. Good job keeping the feel of the original sprite. You might want to do something with his left arm (the one without the sword) as right now it looks like some sort of armored caterpillar sticking out of his sleeve.
Fog

Post by Fog »

You probably would get rid of this feeling by increasing the size of his hand. It's currently smaller than his forearm as well as his other hand.
Ecce, in caelo! Est avem! Minime, est vehiculum aerem! Minime, est virum Latinum!
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Generally better, but the new sprite's far leg is too short--I think the foreshortening is about right on the original.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Zerovirus wrote:Invader. I'm not sure if it's an improvement, de-improvement, or a sideways shift. It's different, to be sure, and I took a lot of liberties with it.
He's supposed to be using a chainmail AFAIK, not a TC loincloth.

Notably, I also didn't get this at first with some of the sprites I edited, until Neoskel pointed it out. :annoyed:
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

I'll fix the chainmail thing later. I got rid of the horribly undersaturated original colors for the chainmail; it just looked so... Boring. I think a bit more color harmony's never a bad thing.
Attachments
invader.png
invader.png (6.13 KiB) Viewed 4882 times
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Hmm, the new dark knight seems a little too bunched-up. I think it would help if you raised his head a little bit, right now it's kinda sunken. Also, i think the sword is a bit too big and heavy-looking right now, the same sword as the invader has should suffice.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Posting this WIP here so that I don't end up losing it when the computer locks itself.
Attachments
sprite01.PNG
sprite01.PNG (7.66 KiB) Viewed 4825 times
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

I like the L3 armor. It's a good step toward the gold- and light-themed concept of Chaos that Evilest was working on with his portrait (is that still how you want to handle the sprites overall? It seemed like a really cool idea).

I love the way this whole project is shaping up. Is there any chance you and Espreon want a second, somewhat less active hand to help with all that spriting?
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Eh, I dunno. You could ask Espreon, though I'd personally appreciate any ideas or work you make.

Right now, I have absolutely no idea how the heck I'm going to mesh EVILEST's portraits in. What he's making is way cooler than my sprites, and also looks nothing like them. His stuff goes way beyond the accepted level of differentiation from original sprites (my fault for not actually finishing the sprites before he started), which leaves me in something of a quandary. I'm thinking about making the Overlord's armor bronze instead of black, or possibly recoloring the whole line to be a bronze color with copper or silver trimmings.

Also, I realized just now that working at a library computer means I had little control over screen resolution, thus meaning that the new WIP lv3 is incredibly puny. Wow. I'll get to fixing this.
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Doublepost. Whatever, I'm tired and I should be sleeping.

Finished the initial version of the line. Did major artistic changes on the lv3 (hopefully for the better), using EVILEST's golden sun-motifs as partial references. Perhaps I should give him the sun-emblemed shield?

I have to redo the Overlord. It looks like crap compared to the Lv3.
Attachments
invader.png
invader.png (19.73 KiB) Viewed 4722 times
Tet

Post by Tet »

Allways great! I can not wait to see more.
I wish somebody would take on Akaldians too.

I would suggest a bit less perspective on the leg stands.
I realize it is kind of your trademark, but for me less would be more.
My Temple Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29800
This is "must-play" campaign! Don´t read the thread, unless you need help. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31895
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Here it is. This has got to be the most over-the-top sprite I've ever done.

Maybe I should tone it down just a bit?

EDIT: final version posted.
Attachments
invader.png
invader.png
cretin

Post by cretin »

make sure to update his attacks to Super Rocket Takeoff Pummel-from-above Attack. Totally awesome
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Okay, now that I'm looking at it after having taken an eyeopening shower, I have to say that the lv3 and lv4 are way too overthetop and oversized.

What was I thinking?
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Zerovirus wrote:Okay, now that I'm looking at it after having taken an eyeopening shower, I have to say that the lv3 and lv4 are way too overthetop and oversized.
Rule of cool. I think they're fine.