Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Re: Zerovirus' sprites for UtBS

Post by Zerovirus »

Fighter, Shield Fighter, and Twin Fighter. I'm hoping the names are very much WIP.
Attachments
00243_desertfighter.png
00243_desertfighter.png (8.83 KiB) Viewed 5188 times
King_Elendil

Post by King_Elendil »

O_O Whoa.
As always, your work is just stunning - I love all of these so far, but especially the Twin Fighter.
I'm finally admitting that this will be a very long (if not permanent) Wesbreak. Thank y'all for the great times, and may Wesnoth rise to become one of the most popular games on the planet.
cretin

Post by cretin »

those are some cool units, i like the large shield.
AtemTheLightning

Post by AtemTheLightning »

OMG. Brilliant.
Aura

Post by Aura »

The Fighter and Twin Fighter look great, but the Shield Fighter not so much. He looks very awkward, and seems to be too squat (or maybe too wide). The shield is also rather excessive.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I'll have some more detailed comment later on but suffice it to say, these look great but need some tweaks.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

Just wondering, are these going to get animated before they're committed?
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

No idea.

Did I do the right thing with the Twinmaster? I'm not sure... He might be a bit too metal-gaudy for the desert elves, but I thought of him as a ceremonial battler.
Attachments
00243_desertfighter.png
00243_desertfighter.png (15.52 KiB) Viewed 4912 times
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

I'd say too metal-gaudy, yes--mostly just the headgear. Personally, I also feel that the shield fighter has way too much metal on him to be fighting effectively in the desert, but that's nothing to do with the quality of the art.

I'm a bit confused by the L3's torso and arms in relation to his legs and head. He appears to be facing in multiple directions at once.
AtemTheLightning

Post by AtemTheLightning »

O Mighty Lord Zerovirus, God of Sprite Art, what is thy wish?
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Art-wise, these look great, good job! :) As long as they don't wear plate and aren't too fully packed with chain mail and what not It should be alright I think. I think the huge shield will probably will have to be toned down a bit though. Make it smaller and perhaps made of wood instead (Or bone or whatever the elves feel appropriate).

Everyone except the Shield fighter all suffer from leaning forward too much like your overlord. One basic rule one can follow is to draw a straight line down from the center of the head and see where it ends up. Generally it should end up close to the middle between the feet when standing normally. Naturally it doesn't have to be like that as long as you counterweight properly with the rest of the body or gear... For example if the twin fighter was wearing a rucksack the way he stands right now would probably be alright.

But it slightly unclear as to the way he's standing... I might be misinterpreting it. I think it might be because his belt sits pretty much horizontal to the viewer while his shoulders and feet are placed at another angle.
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

AtemTheLightning wrote:O Mighty Lord Zerovirus, God of Sprite Art, what is thy wish?
Okay, seriously. I know you're a fan now and all, but there comes a point where blind, exaggerated worship becomes annoying. If you really don't have anything useful to say, then you could reserve your adoration for newcoming artists who might need it more than I do.

@sleepwalker: Nice tip! I always had trouble with balancing units and making them look not falling-over, as my earlier sprites might have shown. This will help me a lot.

Espreon sent me a cease-and-desist order (or something to that effect) while he refigures out the Quenoth elves' fluff, so I'll go and do some Chaos sprites based on EVILEST's new portraits. And here I was thinking "What am I going to do with Chaos?" when the answer hit me in the face- Sprite EVILEST's portraits. Easy, and I don't have to stress my brain at all :P
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Sleepwalker wrote:Art-wise, these look great, good job! :) As long as they don't wear plate and aren't too fully packed with chain mail and what not It should be alright I think. I think the huge shield will probably will have to be toned down a bit though. Make it smaller and perhaps made of wood instead (Or bone or whatever the elves feel appropriate).
IMO, that size of shield is fine, as long as it's reserved for an "overpowered L3". Legionaries used shields that big, at times. Yes, it would be incredibly heavy, and would affect the mobility of the unit, but that was considered a reasonable tradeoff to allow an otherwise impossible advance on archers.
Sleepwalker wrote:Everyone except the Shield fighter all suffer from leaning forward too much like your overlord.
Yes, this is a big problem in virtually all of your art, and it won't be easily solved. I used to have very similar problems - I think it's a perceptual phase all artists have to work through.

It might be helped by doing lots of "fast studies" - studies where you do NOT draw details, but instead scribble out the general pose of a human. Likewise, doing "studies from life", where you look at a real, live person, and attempt to draw them.

When doing studies from life, one of the hardest things to solve is consistently projecting a 3d person onto a 2d canvas. You'll run into very frequent mistakes of drawing different parts of the body from different, inconsistent angles, as the model, and your head, move about subtly during the drawing. This is actually so hard, and so error prone, that I suggest newbies avoid it entirely until they're good at what I suggest starting with. I suggest starting with drawing from photographs, since they solve that problem for you.

What you should do is attempt to draw what you see without any tracing, and then after you are done, compare your drawing to the photo to see where you have erred. This might involve actually overlaying your work in photoshop, or busting out the ruler.

I'm serious - this is that big of a deal. You have to recalibrate your instinctual sense of "what looks right", because almost all people are born with bad instincts about this.

As you go on, you want to gradually wean yourself off of dependence on reference. It's actually not realistic to ever completely graduate from using references. Kitty et al still practice drawing from live models occasionally (perhaps even constantly), and every professional artist needs to do this or they run the risk of their work gradually deviating from reality in strange and abhorrent ways (c.f. Rob Liefeld). However, you want to be as good as you can at drawing without a model, because that makes you fast. Constantly stopping to vet your work against a reference, and correct what you did wrong is painfully slow.

Like I said in valkier's thread, you can find untold sums of good reference material simply by going here, and looking for the search term "athlete", as well as the desired age/gender: www.istockphoto.com For that purpose, it's much better than google images in relevance.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

@Jet: Too much for me to write an in-depth reply, so I'll just say: Duly noted, and thanks.

Invader. I'm not sure if it's an improvement, de-improvement, or a sideways shift. It's different, to be sure, and I took a lot of liberties with it.

EDIT: I also tried to fix up the twinmaster's arm. I know it might not get used, now, but I really didn't just want to leave it sitting there with such an obvious flaw.
Attachments
invader.png
invader.png (2.31 KiB) Viewed 4448 times
00243_desertfighter.png
00243_desertfighter.png (15.75 KiB) Viewed 4455 times
iLeeT_PeeP

Post by iLeeT_PeeP »

That invader looks very good. :hmm:
My MaPs... PeeP's Maps