Zerovirus' sprites for UtBS

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Jetrel

Re: Zerovirus' sprites for UtBS

Post by Jetrel »

Dragonchampion wrote::shock: Those things are real???

I thought they where made up just for the Hellsing manga/anime and their KKK regiments...
We tend to think of guns as just "a modern thing", but guns have been around for almost 900 years. Yes, this means guns overlap most of the "knights and castles" era. The big problem was, the guns they had way back then sucked compared to modern ones due to a few technological deficiencies - specifically, deficiencies which "tinkerers" couldn't fix on their own. These were things an entire society had to build an infrastructure to fix.

- modern alloys of steel for building guns
- mass factories to produce lots of identical guns with identical components, barrel sizes, and ammunition
- machine tools to grind complex moving parts that were precise enough to be interchangeable from gun to gun
- machine tools to form shell casings, and enough of an infrastructure of metal production to make metal cheap enough that it'd be feasible to consider even making shells, rather than muzzle-loading everything. Prior to this, making something in the shape of a shell-casing was an expensive, ornate process of craftsmanship that'd be unthinkable to waste on ammunition. Ammunition was instead pre-wrapped in essentially paper "shells" that were slid down the muzzle.
- chemistry good enough to make gunpowder that always reliably ignited

So what happened for the lack of this tech, is that all sorts of backyard tinkers tried all sorts of crazy strategies to try and get more shots out what basically was only 1-shot-per-barrel. These involved a lot of oddball versions of "lots of gun barrels strapped together." They also involved variants of guns built into some other weapon so that the gun would still be useable as a mace or something if the actual shot missed.

The other big concern with early gunpowder was because the gunpowder didn't have the great consistency modern stuff does, sometimes it would explode way too fast; that is, the explosion would create more force than could be absorbed by the projectile, and the entire barrel of the cannon would explode like a bomb. This is why they did that pole-cannon thing - you wanted the gun as far as you could get it, away from you. :Awesome: Guys manning the big pre-cannon "bombards" could light it and run. Hand-cannoneers didn't have that luxury.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Jetrel wrote:Ammunition was instead pre-wrapped in essentially paper "shells" that were slid down the muzzle.
This is an interesting point: the canisters I attached to the Dwarf Thunderer and Dragonguard belts were intended to be cases containing paper-wrapped gunpowder and ammunition. Or food, for the evil beast bound within the weapon, whichever explanation you prefer :D

In this particular case, in an after the end setting, the major problem would likely be the inability to produce reliably-sized ammunition, so handwaving them having gone back to muzzle-loading pole cannon would be easy enough. The major issue with them as opposed to later muzzle-loading muskets is range and accuracy.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

@Jetrel: That was a really interesting, informative post. Thanks! :D
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Apologies for delay, Junior year sucks.

Some drabbled up revisions of the Headhunter and Soulhunter. I'm not sure if I like mine better; the pixel technique might be better but the old ones simply had more of a disdaining predator feel.
Attachments
headhunter.png
headhunter.png (5.22 KiB) Viewed 4896 times
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

How come the old sprites are shown with spears/javelins but the new sprites have weird axe things? (Although the axe things do look cool!)
"What do you mean, "a dwarvish dragonguard with marksman is overpowered"?"

Story of a Drake Outcast | The Nonsense Era
Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

The level 1's head and upper body have shrunk considerably, particularly in light of the way the legs have grown ;) Otherwise the opse is nice and interesting.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

Great to see those guys getting some love!

I was a bit confused by the top right one - the tiny head is framed by the club and the spear in a way that makes it really hard to read, at first I thought it was part of the shoulders and he was missing his head...
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Yay, super-dynamic pose! :D No seriously, I quite like that pose, it's something I've never seen in any other sprite. Adds a lot to the unit's character, too.
Zerovirus wrote:I'm not sure if I like mine better; the pixel technique might be better but the old ones simply had more of a disdaining predator feel.
Personally I rather liked the topknots, it was a detail that made them seem more barbaric in a way. :hmm:
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Zerovirus wrote: What the heck is that thing on top of the Headhunter's head? Is it a plume? Because I kinda see a thin helmet border but the color blends in with the skin so I'm not sure.
The original sprite reminds me of Aurra Sing from Star Wars.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/starw ... ng_ep1.jpg

The new one is better in some ways, but definitely has a different feel to it.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Slowly progressing. Time is at a premium these days.

I'm not satisfied with the shield, but I'll go back and redo it later. The helmet is based off the Cavalryman, but I assure you it's a full custom and not an edit of the cav's helm. I wanted to make these guys a recognizably twisted version of the cavalrymen.
Attachments
Raider2.PNG
Raider2.PNG (3.21 KiB) Viewed 4130 times
bumbadadabum
Developer

Post by bumbadadabum »

Zerovirus wrote:Slowly progressing. Time is at a premium these days.

I'm not satisfied with the shield, but I'll go back and redo it later. The helmet is based off the Cavalryman, but I assure you it's a full custom and not an edit of the cav's helm. I wanted to make these guys a recognizably twisted version of the cavalrymen.
This looks great!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

The eyes on the helm are centred as if he's looking a lot more towards camera than the rest of the body and head would indicate. Shift them to our right a bit. Otherwise, nice.
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Maybe the Raider (that's the guy on the right...right?) could do with his head being moved right a pixel. Right now it looks like a) it's falling off his neck, b) he's leaning backwards really far.

Otherwise, amazing work!

Played HttT-Underground Channels? Thought it was rubbish? Help us develop it here!
Major
Art Contributor

Post by Major »

The guy on the right is the old version Reepur. :P
Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
Reepurr

Post by Reepurr »

Oh. My bad.

I suppose I can't moan because 1.9 doesn't have the new cavs, but the Raider looks awfully buff and over-armoured to me.